New Embassy Suites - Monroe North

numstead

WoodTV and WZZM13 are reporting that the City Commission approved the extension of the Ren Zone for the hotel.

"City staff urged the commission to approve the Ren Zone extension. City commissioners agreed, approving the plan."

"The new 250 room hotel would bring in 150 new jobs, developers say."

The article can be read here:

New Grand Rapids hotel approved by commission

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many barrel-roofed, multi-decked, mixed use, semi green (since not going for complete LEED certified) hotels do we have in GR?

wow, you got us on that one. its the first project to meet those exacting specifications

I'm happy that someone is thinking "outside the box" on the look of this hotel. I want to see something different than the average glass high-rise.

Are they? Since when is historical-esque architecture (or even "green") "outside the box"? The "box" doesn't refer to literal glass boxes (although its convenient for traditionalists to do so). The "box" refers to the status quo. "Village-esque" architecture and "green" have become the "box".

With that said, I don't think this is an awful building at all. I can live with it. d8alterego, I just ask that you be careful how you use youre cliches.

The streetscape for the building is also pedestrian friendly.

Is it? Then why wasn't the pedestrian view renderred and distributed first? The only view we have to look at can only be seen from RDV's helicopter as it makes its approach to the JW.

WoodTV and WZZM13 are reporting that the City Commission approved the extension of the Ren Zone for the hotel.

"City staff urged the commission to approve the Ren Zone extension. City commissioners agreed, approving the plan."

"The new 250 room hotel would bring in 150 new jobs, developers say."

The article can be read here:

New Grand Rapids hotel approved by commission

Whoo-aahh.

wow, you got us on that one. its the first project to meet those exacting specifications

Are they? Since when is historical-esque architecture (or even "green") "outside the box"? The "box" doesn't refer to literal glass boxes (although its convenient for traditionalists to do so). The "box" refers to the status quo. "Village-esque" architecture and "green" have become the "box".

With that said, I don't think this is an awful building at all. I can live with it. d8alterego, I just ask that you be careful how you use youre cliches.

Is it? Then why wasn't the pedestrian view renderred and distributed first? The only view we have to look at can only be seen from RDV's helicopter as it makes its approach to the JW.

:lol: Actually, it looks more like AeroMed's flight path. ;)

The ground floor looks a lot like this proposal. :whistling: I can't decide which "top" portion I like better. They both have their good attributes.

195471886_a97e95b5e1_o.jpg

1681965011_c334e3fd61_b.jpg

That's great news that the city extended the Ren Zone (although not that surprising as I believe it met all the criteria set out earlier this year). No idea Libertarian what the next move is.

I really like this building.

I would have liked to see the NW corner with some life, instead of just being the corner of the parking ramp, but that is just minor.

The fact that they do a great job on the ramp makes up for that.

The only thing that bugs me is that many of these projects on Monroe kind of leaves out anything for the street behind Monroe. I really don't care for the idea of having Monroe being fancied up while the street(s) behind it become just service alleys for trash collection. I would like to see the same enthusiasm for those streets that you have for N. Monroe.

((((Pet Peeve Nitpick)))) The strips of grass at the corner are stupid. Do you honestly need grass along the sidewalk, in the city?

YES!

I think this is a great development for the NW side. I like almost everything about the design (especially the roof) and the little grass strips because I think it fits in with the medians along North Monroe. I mirror the concern about the East side becoming even more of a service alley and would like to see the other renderings to check that out.

Build it... thank you GR for not holding this one back!

True, "green" and "village-esque" architecture has become the new thinking inside the box. I should be more careful about my cliches. I have to say though that GR hotels do not show the "village-esque" building that is apparently the "box" trend. If I'm not mistaken, many, if not all of the built or proposed hotels since Amay have been glass or square box towers. When's the last time we've seen such a unique hotel proposal that has not included a completely glass facade? That's why I believe this hotel thinks "outside the box" when it comes to the city of GR.

The "box" refers to the status quo. "Village-esque" architecture and "green" have become the "box".

I really like this building.

I would have liked to see the NW corner with some life, instead of just being the corner of the parking ramp, but that is just minor.

The fact that they do a great job on the ramp makes up for that.

The only thing that bugs me is that many of these projects on Monroe kind of leaves out anything for the street behind Monroe. I really don't care for the idea of having Monroe being fancied up while the street(s) behind it become just service alleys for trash collection. I would like to see the same enthusiasm for those streets that you have for N. Monroe.

((((Pet Peeve Nitpick)))) The strips of grass at the corner are stupid. Do you honestly need grass along the sidewalk, in the city?

The greener the better I always say...

What happened to those plans (I know it's a little off-topic) about fulton around VAA to get some greenage?

The Press reporting:

GRAND RAPIDS -- City commissioners gave 15 years of tax-free status to a developer who promised to build a $28 million, 250-room hotel at 920 Monroe Ave. NW.

Commissioners said the promise of 150 income tax-paying hotel jobs outweighed the cost of making the former Western American Mailers site a Renaissance Zone for another 15 years.

The Renaissance Zone means the property's owners will not have to pay state and local taxes for 15 years.
City Economic Development Director Kara Wood said the Renaissance Zone still must be approved by the state's Michigan Strategic Fund.

John Byl, an attorney for hotel developers Brian and Peter Beukema, said
they hope to break ground on the project next spring.
A franchise for the hotel has not been named, he said.

That answers some of the questions.

The Press reporting:

GRAND RAPIDS -- City commissioners gave 15 years of tax-free status to a developer who promised to build a $28 million, 250-room hotel at 920 Monroe Ave. NW.

Commissioners said the promise of 150 income tax-paying hotel jobs outweighed the cost of making the former Western American Mailers site a Renaissance Zone for another 15 years.

The Renaissance Zone means the property's owners will not have to pay state and local taxes for 15 years.
City Economic Development Director Kara Wood said the Renaissance Zone still must be approved by the state's Michigan Strategic Fund.

John Byl, an attorney for hotel developers Brian and Peter Beukema, said
they hope to break ground on the project next spring.
A franchise for the hotel has not been named, he said.

That answers some of the questions.

If the developer can't get this project done for some reason, will the site continue to be a ren zone for 15 more years anyway?

As previously mentioned, the back faces an alley, not the next street, which is Bond Ave. Bond could still potentially be developed in the future with something that's interesting and pedestrian friendly.

Thank You for saying that!

Furthermore...

Bank of Holland: You must return here with a shrubbery... or else you will never

pass through this city... alive.

Architect: O Bank of Holland, you are just and fair, and we will return with a

shrubbery.

Bank of Holland: One that looks nice.

Architect: Of course!

Bank of Holland: And not too expensive.

Architect: Yes!

Bank of Holland: Noowwwww.... GO!

Don't get me wrong, green is good. However, a flat patch of grass, that only makes the usable sidewalk space thinner, serves no purpose. It's too small and impracticable for anything. I've just never seen the value of it.

Flower boxes, like on Monroe, work better, doesn't take up the whole strip, and adds a little bit of "architecture" to the sidewalk.

Are we seriously debating that teeny tiny patch of lawn? GVSU has a pretty nice lawn and it is still within my "urban tolerance level". Seems like a very stupid debate to me.

It's a nice looking building with a good purpose and ground level transparency (almost every we wish for). Am I missing something here?

Joe

Are we seriously debating that teeny tiny patch of lawn? GVSU has a pretty nice lawn and it is still within my "urban tolerance level". Seems like a very stupid debate to me.

It's a nice looking building with a good purpose and ground level transparency (almost every we wish for). Am I missing something here?

Joe

Amen to that brotha!

Archived