Baton Rouge Single Family Developments

dan326

^True but I was referring to land for regular cost housing.

*Yes, but it's not an attractive location to the market that would make large scale redevelopment $profitable$.

*The farm land north of St. Gabriel could definitely be used but the land north-east is Bayou Manchac.

*The Rural Museum is in a prime spot but if it where developed it definitely wouldn't be affordable, low density single family.

Kind of seems like a strange location for a subdivision to me.

$3.2M sale of 61.5 acres on Ben Hur signals start of Lake Villas subdivision

Now that developer Kevin Nguyen has closed on a $3.2 million deal to acquire 61.5 acres of vacant land on Ben Hur Road, just south of the intersection of Burbank Drive, he’s not wasting any time in moving forward with a new subdivision called Lake Villas.

“The market is hot right now and rates are low, so you have to roll. You can’t wait,” Nguyen says. “Houses should be ready by the spring of 2016.”

Lake Villas will be located on the south side of Ben Hur between a pair of recently-developed upscale apartment developments: The Exchange and The Cottages. A total of 191 homes are planned in the subdivision.

“It’s going to be beautiful,” says Nguyen, adding homes will measure about 2,000 square feet each and be priced around $230,000 to $250,000. “It’s going to include a big, big lake—about 2.5 acres—and another eight acres of common area.”

Nguyen says the location will be ideal for young professionals who work at LSU and the surrounding area, and he also expects Lake Villas to appeal to parents of LSU students who are looking to purchase a home as an investment.

“You look at University Villas,” says Nguyen of the subdivision located off Burbank, about two miles south of his planned subdivision. “Those houses are selling like hot cakes out there right now, and this location is even better. It’s even closer to LSU.”

Nguyen closed on the 61.5 acres for the subdivision on Wednesday. The seller was University Pud LLC, represented by John F. White Jr. See the final development plan for Lake Villas, which was approved by the Planning Commission in April.

sub1.png

sub2.png

Edited by dan326

Yeah it does...some small tightly packed yards too

LSU is a serious driver fueling all of the seemingly endless new residential developments.....And talk about little 2-laned Lee Drive being even more stacked with traffic! Also the new Lee High Science/Tech school is about to be completed! Ouuch! How long can that Southdowns Civic association keep it ONLY 2-Lanes??

These big new lakes have some nice fountains to keep water circulating/serve for aesthetic purposes; as well as drainage as they continue to cut into the mighty green swampy/low/boggy tree canopy between Nicholson/Burbank & Innovation Park @ South Campus

BTW Thanks for the graphics :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

The last frontier in development is definitely being crossed. I wonder what took them this long to develop it? 

Dantin Bruce buys nearly 90 acres on Burbank for new Hunter’s Trace residential subdivision

STEVE SANOSKI {sodEmoji.|} @SteveSanoski
JULY 13, 2015

Dantin Bruce Development has closed on a $4.65 million deal for nearly 90 acres on Burbank Drive—where the Kenilworth Parkway extension could eventually intersect—on which a roughly 250-home subdivision called Hunter’s Trace is planned.

“We have all of the approvals we need, and we’ll be starting dirt work hopefully this week,” says Brian Dantin, who owns Dantin Bruce along with his business partner, Ross Bruce.

Dantin says the area is attractive for a number of reasons, including its proximity to LSU and the planned Kenilworth extension.

“We follow the market very closely, and there are very few new construction homes available in that area in the $200,000 to $225,000 range,” Dantin says. “So, we feel like the market there is very strong and—especially once they extend Kenilworth through there—will be even stronger as it provides for greater access to Essen (Lane) and the hospitals, and it really ties into the center of town.”

Dantin says the exact price range for homes in Hunter’s Trace has not been set, adding they will likely be offered “in the $200,000s.” Likewise, exact square footage of average homes has not been decided yet. He says the subdivision will be similar to Magnolia Lakes, which Dantin Bruce developed about a mile south of where Hunter’s Trace will be located on Burbank.

Another road connecting Highland Road to Burbank, possibly via Kenilworth, is a part of the city-parish Green Light Plan for traffic improvements. Along with Kenilworth, nearby Seyburn Drive is also being considered as a possible location for the extension, according to the Green Light Plan website.

Under Hunter Trace LLC, Dantin Bruce purchased the land for Hunter’s Trace from The Gulf Rouge Limited Partnership, which has a mailing address of Playa Del Rey, California. The selling partnership’s manager is Parkash Kaur Sehdeva, according to sale documents.

hunterstrace2huntertrace

From Businessreport.com 

Here is the DSLD Homes websites that lists a lot of developing subdivisions in BR and Louisiana. A really interesting one is the Anselmo Lakes one. I don't think BR has any other contemporary, West Coast stlye developments. Although, the single garage is kind of confusing. Maybe they plan to market to young medical professionals and those who have immigrated?

To me the DSLD developments look a bit nicer then the DR Horton ones, but then i think DLSD might be a local/regional rather than nationwide company.

Interesting development; on a very narrow tract of land...with only one-single street.(there is a very small street that connects the adjacent neighborhood)  The interior looks very nice!!  But prefer brick on the exterior...not down with the NO brick at all?  Wonder if BR could ever built those thin/sleek three-story houses ? (Two floors on top of parking garage)

Trips me out they named this Anselmo "LAKES"....they just dug-out a hot-dog weeny shaped canal(retention pond)  heading toward Dawson Creek....and call that a Lake! :lol:

Curious to see what other future residential developments may happen in the quickly filling space of the Medical Corridor? Maybe a High-Grove type development??

Wonder when the Children's Hospital gets started?

Edited by richyb83

Interesting development; on a very narrow tract of land...with only one-single street.(there is a very small street that connects the adjacent neighborhood)  The interior looks very nice!!  But prefer brick on the exterior...not down with the NO brick at all?  Wonder if BR could ever built those thin/sleek three-story houses ? (Two floors on top of parking garage)

Trips me out they named this Anselmo "LAKES"....they just did a hot-dog weeny shaped canal(retention pond)  heading toward Dawson Creek....and call that a Lake! :lol:

Curious to see what other future residential developments may happen in the quickly filling space of the Medical Corridor? Maybe a High-Grove type development??

Wonder when the Children's Hospital gets started?

Yeah, I don't really like siding in the South either, it gets dirty to quickly. We were supposed to build those ones on Nicholson, they built one house then stopped. I guess they want to wait and see how the other area development pans out?

Lol@ you loling at Preservation way and Anselmo Lakes! I like you subtle sense of humor.

That's a goo question I hope it wasn't just a pipe dream.

Looks like they did some updating to the Lexington Estates plan. To the south it was originally a mixed use development and multi-family similar to Willow Grove. It looks like now they have replaced the multi-family component with Monopoly-spaced, single-family houses. Don't get me wrong, I drove by there and they look really nice, just very close.

lex1.png

lex2.png

And here are some developments on tight spaces near Tiger Bend which prove where there's a dollar, there's a way. lol

tiger2.png

Edited by dan326

• 3 weeks later...

I tell ya, where there's a dollar there's a way!

Two new residential neighborhoods planned for Old Goodwood area

Designer and developer Mike Hogstrom is planning two separate residential projects in the Goodwood Area.

The first will be called Township at Old Goodwood and will be a traditional residential design subdivision of eight single-family homes on a 1.7-acre tract at Lobdell and Lasalle Avenues. The homes will average around 3,000 square feet and will be priced between $220 and $230 per square foot.

Hogstrom—whose firm, Onsight Design, recently completed development of E’tage Gardens on Government Street near Jefferson Highway—says the design style of Township at Old Goodwood will be more English Country and traditional than E’tage Gardens. Though Hogstrom has applied for zoning for the project as Infill Small Planned Use Development, or ISPUD, the density of the neighborhood at 4.7 units per acre is not very different than that of A-1 single family zoning, which is 4.1 units per acre.

Nearby, Hogstrom is also planning to develop a slightly larger residential development of 17 lots on a 3.17-acre tract at Old Hammond Highway and Cove Court. The Small Planned Use Development, or SPUD, will be called Overton Walk and will target a slightly different demographic—empty nesters and Baby Boomers—who want to downsize in space, but not in quality. Homes in Overton will average between 2,000 and 2,500 square feet and will be priced between $200 and $210 per square foot.

Though the two projects are unrelated, Hogstrom says they are similar in what they are trying to achieve—namely to provide high end, new residential construction in a sector of the market that he believes is underserved.

“If you look at the current Baby Boomer market, there are a lot of options for them on the south side of I-10—like Willow Grove, Harveston and Rouzan,” he says. “I believe there is a pent-up demand on the north side of I-10 in the Goodwood, Mid City, Jefferson Place areas.”

If early interest in the two projects is any indication, Hogstrom is on to something. Already, he says, more than 90% of the lots in Overton and Township are pre-sold.

“These are in a great location, just half a mile each from Towne Center,” he says. “This is an area where traffic still moves. There are lots of nice places to shop, eat, walk and play.”

Hogstrom submitted applications for the two projects to the Planning Commission this morning. The commission will take them up for approval at its September meeting.

From businessreport.com

Edited by dan326

LOL...Monopoly space! Yeah...the days of big yards are long gone...you can reach right out your window into the nieghbors refrigerator they are so close!

Just happened to get this pic of the backside to E'Tage Gardens under construction on the eastern end of Mid City along Government St...nice;big houses...very compact development...for those that dont like much yard work...think there might be a small shared green pocket with this? Interesting infill-development

DSCN1283_zps8z3dhgrs.jpg

• Like 1

LOL...Monopoly space! Yeah...the days of big yards are long gone...you can reach right out your window into the nieghbors refrigerator they are so close!

Just happened to get this pic of the backside to E'Tage Gardens under construction on the eastern end of Mid City along Government St...nice;big houses...very compact development...for those that dont like much yard work...think there might be a small shared green pocket with this? Interesting infill-development

DSCN1283_zps8z3dhgrs.jpg

If Baton Rouge was building like this years ago more space would be available in the city for urban development.  It would not surprise if neighborhoods in Mid City start tearing down old houses and build more urban.

^

^Lol!^ Really though, I had to take a close look to see that they were detached. They must have been the legal width apart.

I like E'tage. I'm still a little disappointed they never made the Maddison? development at Goodwood and Lobdell. I feel like it for the area better.

^Yeah, that could definitely happen for bigger lots, but I think it'll mostly be wealthier individuals tearing down houses to build bigger.

• 2 weeks later...

Cook: New 110-lot subdivision planned on Coursey following nearly $2M sale of 26 acres

Tom Cook

August 18, 2015

Jonathan Starns has purchased a nearly 26-acre site on Coursey Boulevard on which he is planning to develop a 110-lot subdivision to be called Coursey Cove.

The new development will be accessed off the north side of Coursey Boulevard, just west of Jones Creek Road, near the Neighborhood Walmart at 14241 Coursey Blvd.

Starns purchased the property under his limited liability company DAGR for $1,993,750 or about $80,000 per acre. The sellers were John K. and Helen C. Cooper, and the deal closed on Aug. 7. Coursey Cove will feature lots measuring about 50 feet-by-125 feet, and will be improved with homes in the $225,000 to $275,000 range. Construction is scheduled to begin this fall.

“We have been working on this for over a year,” says Starns. “We got the site rezoned to A2.7 for residential development and had to have the plat approved with the city before we could close. All that has been completed, so we were able to close the sale.”

Here’s a map of the area.

image.png

Thanks for posting...wondered if this large swath of land would ever be developed. Seemed like it might just stay the same; It always gave a rural-feel to the Jones Creek Rd area. Interesting name choice...Coursey Cove..."Cove"...does this mean a small lake may be include?  Curious to see what the Road-configuration will look like...

Yuck. Again, I don't have problems with smaller yard, but the quality of those subdivisions are usually total crap.   They are basically all the same floor plan with a street-facing garage.   Because the lots are so narrow and you can barely see the houses behind the two car garage,, the entire neighborhood feels like an alley.  

Those are going to age very poorly.  Frankly, lots that narrow should have alley-loaded garages and an actual front yard.  

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

I agree, the Lexington Park and Pelican Lakes subdivisions will have back alleys with a facade facing the actual street but the others will have the garage dominating the facade. Like I had mentioned before, the garage dominating facade subdivision should do like some of the European neighborhoods seem to do and not have grass but just use the whole "front yard" for landscaping.

• 1 month later...

19.5 acres off Tiger Bend purchased for $1.6M for new subdivision  

Developer Kevin Nguyen has purchased 19.5 acres of vacant land on Tiger Bend Road near the intersection of Antioch Road for $1.6 million, on which he plans to build a new 105-lot subdivision called Rose Gardens.

“They’re going to be typical garden home lots, similar to what they have in Cross Gates,” says Nguyen, referring to the subdivision located next to where his new development is planned.

Design plans for Rose Gardens were approved by the Planning Commission in April, and Nguyen says he hopes to begin construction within the next 60 days. Homes should start being completed in the subdivision sometime next summer.

Homes in the subdivision will measure about 2,000 square feet each and will be priced around $250,000, Nguyen says.

“It’s going to be a really nice development with some common area and a nice entrance,” says Nguyen. “We’re just waiting on approval for some of the construction plans now, and hopefully we can get the whole thing rolling maybe next month or December.”

From businessreport.com

• 2 weeks later...

These little residential nooks are still popping up all over the place...

May plans LSU Aveune-type subdivision on 3.5-acre Rodney Drive property                

Developer Daryl May plans to emulate the homes that line LSU Avenue in his new proposed subdivision he calls his “little oasis” along a 3.5-acre tract on Rodney Drive near Highland Road.

“I grew up in south Baton Rouge, and I really cherish the older homes that are unique,” says May, the owner of Daryl May Construction. “LSU Avenue in my opinion is a charming, quaint, very neighborhood friendly street.”

The proposed subdivision will be on a private dead-end road off Rodney Drive and have on each side six houses built using a mixture of classical, Greek revival and traditional architecture, May says. The subdivision may be gated, but May has not decided on that yet.

The lots along the private road will be about 95 feet wide and 140 feet long, and will cost $225,000 to $250,000. The custom homes on each lot will be around 3,000 square feet and cost $650,000 to $900,000.

None of the lots have been presold, and May says he is not at the point where he is ready to presell any land, but he adds there has been considerable interest in the project including from some builders who want to be part of the subdivision.

The Planning Commission will take up May’s request on Nov. 16 to subdivide the 3.5-acre property not far from Kenilworth Parkway into 12 lots. If approved by the Planning Commission, May says construction on the private road will begin around Feb. 1 and he hopes to start construction on the homes by the summer.  https://www.businessreport.com/article/may-plans-lsu-aveune-type-subdivision-3-5-acre-rodney-drive-property

Homes to start going up in new subdivision on Tiger Bend following $1.8M sale of 39 lots

STEVE SANOSKI
OCTOBER 15, 2015

Developer Kevin Nguyen has sold 39 vacant lots on Tiger Bend Road near the intersection of Jefferson Highway for more than $1.85 million to DSLD Homes, which plans to begin building homes within the next month or so.

“We plan on getting started just as soon as we can get permits,” says DSLD Homes partner Jeff Purpera. “It will probably take 30 days get the permits and get started, and then another three to four months to construct the homes. Once we get started, I think it will probably be about 12 months in and out.”

The subdivision will be called Tiger Trace, and it will be located next to the Hickory Ridge subdivision. Homes within will measure anywhere from 1,800 to 2,300 square feet and they’ll be sold for between $200,000 and $240,000, Purpera says.

The zero-lot line homes will have smaller yards than a typical subdivision home, measuring about 45-by-110 feet, says Nguyen. The entire 39-home subdivision will be located on about six acres of land.

“They’re perfect for people who want to own a house and have a private space, but don’t want a big yard to maintain,” Nguyen says. “There’s still enough space for a nice courtyard with landscaping around it. The subdivision is in a really good area, not far from Woman’s Hospital, so there’s a lot of medical professionals in the area and these would be great homes for them."

• 1 month later...

Dantin Bruce pays $2.8M for 60 acres in Prairieville, plans Hidden Farms subdivision

Developers Brian Dantin and Ross Bruce have for years searched for a tract of land in Prairieville on which they could develop a new subdivision. On Tuesday, the co-owners of Dantin Bruce Development closed on a $2,790,105 deal for roughly 60 acres located just over the Ascension Parish line on which they’ll build Hidden Farms subdivision.

Hidden Farms will include 142 lots and will be built out in two phases, says Bruce. Work on the first phase, which will include 71 lots, is expected to begin next spring. The subdivision will be located on Brown Jr. Road, just off Old Jefferson Highway.

There is no firm timeline for the second phase of the development, Bruce says, adding sales in the first phase will dictate further development. As for the homes within Hidden Farms, Bruce says specifics on price range and size have yet to be nailed down, but that the homes will be aimed at first- and second-time homebuyers.

From the businessreport.com

I've gotten so spoiled in Dallas with all the development. Most of the subdivisions here are 800, sometimes 1000+ homes. We live very close to this one: Philips Creek Ranch. It's about a 1,000 acres. The amenities these places have are crazy. This subdivision is soo big it has 4 elementary schools, 2 middle schools, and 1 high school dedicated for it.