Cabela's sets opening for Oct 19th

beerbeer

You have to check this place out, as many at the UConn/Maine game learned - it is huge.

The 185,000-square-foot store...will feature a two-story man-made mountain with running waterfalls, a stream, and a trout pond, as well as a 16,000-gallon, walk-through aquarium, and will employ 450 full- and part-time workers.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You have to check this place out, as many at the UConn/Maine game learned - it is huge.

The 185,000-square-foot store...will feature a two-story man-made mountain with running waterfalls, a stream, and a trout pond, as well as a 16,000-gallon, walk-through aquarium, and will employ 450 full- and part-time workers.

Can anyone explain to me why they would open it the same day as a UConn football game? As a season ticket holder, I doubt too many people that show up for the game are going to saunter over to the store. And for people trying to get to the store that day? Forgot about it.

It's still a big box store, they'll get plenty enough of profits to pay the taxes. I mean, everyone else is doing ok. Manchester is loaded with the big box.

My other question is... is there really a need for an outdoors store in the Hartford area? Where's the great wild outdoors in this state? Even in the rural areas, there's a house or a farm or something to curb on the outdoor experience instead of the vast nothingness down south or west or in lalaland Maine.

It's still a big box store, they'll get plenty enough of profits to pay the taxes. I mean, everyone else is doing ok. Manchester is loaded with the big box.

My other question is... is there really a need for an outdoors store in the Hartford area? Where's the great wild outdoors in this state? Even in the rural areas, there's a house or a farm or something to curb on the outdoor experience instead of the vast nothingness down south or west or in lalaland Maine.

I was going to mention Torrington (as in wouldn't there make more sense than E.H.) in the original post, then cut that out.

But, well, I forgot about the destination part. I seen the Kittery Trading Post a few times, most those people in the store shopping prob aren't from the Portsmouth-Kittery area. Looks like E.H. is gonna do pretty decent here.

• 3 weeks later...

Cabela's certainly seems to be eagerly anticpated.

Courant Article

Sabo predicted that the store would attract outdoor enthusiasts from hundreds of miles away.

"Cabela's is known as a destination store," he said. "I'll use New York City as an example. Guys living there who have a lot of money and go on African safaris will come here to get their stuff. Or guys, and even women, going on hunting or fishing trips will want to get their stuff here. Just look around this store. It has everything."

Cabela's, which bills itself as the world's foremost outfitter of hunting, fishing and outdoor gear, annually attracts about 3 million customers to many of its stores across the country, said Gail Shore, who handles publicity for Cabela's.

Judging from the number of license plates from various states that he has seen at the Hamburg store, Sabo said he had no doubt that the store would attract people from outside Connecticut.

Cabela's has 21 stores. The store at Rentschler is the first in New England and will be the region's flagship.

32964446.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Stopped in last night to check the place out... It was packed, on a Tuesday night... From what I heard from staff was that the opening weekend was far busier than they had anticipated... I can't wait to see the development around the Rent that this leads to..

Archived