EMPORIS IS JUST PLAIN WRONG

A2

Just trying to figure out where Emporis is getting their information from lately is driving me crazy. I have been monitoring many Tier one and Tier two cities and watching the change in total building counts using Emporis and I have been seeing a substantial increase in bad info.

For example, I have lived in Charlotte for over 10 years and now I have to leave for Atlanta due to a job transfer. Since I was moving and I am a freak of sorts when it comes to transit, Retail, and Skyskrapers I thought I would check Emporis for total building counts for Atlanta, (which I am sure would have been triple what Charlotte currently has). To my surprise Emporis has Atlanta with just a little north of 500 total high rises, while Charlotte has nearly 400 listed!!!! :huh: What is up with that??? Then I started digging a bit more and noticed other large cities like Boston and Philly were also just over 500 total high rises while cities like Charlotte had almost 400, which is about the same number they have for Seattle??? Now I am a HUUUUUUUUGE Charlotte fan, but I have lived in ATL, Philly and my home office in Boston and can personally assure anyone that Charlotte has no where near the number of Buildings of those cities. However if you look at Emporis (which I though was a fact based site) you would think they were all about the same size in terms of building count.

Can anyone explain this ? How can Charlotte have the almost identicle number of high rises as a city like Seattle. I have been to Seattle and can assure you that this is not the case. For what it is worth I can count all of the high Rises in Charlotte using a number well under a hundred. At least from Center City building count. As a matter of fact I think there might be less than 50-70 total high rises (buildings over 12 stories) in our Central Business District. I can count the true high rises within our Center City on my Hands and Toes. Can someone tell me where this information is coming from ???

Thanks,

A2

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just trying to figure out where Emporis is getting their information from lately is driving me crazy. I have been monitoring many Tier one and Tier two cities and watching the change in total building counts using Emporis and I have been seeing a substantial increase in bad info.

For example, I have lived in Charlotte for over 10 years and now I have to leave for Atlanta due to a job transfer. Since I was moving and I am a freak of sorts when it comes to transit, Retail, and Skyskrapers I thought I would check Emporis for total building counts for Atlanta, (which I am sure would have been triple what Charlotte currently has). To my surprise Emporis has Atlanta with just a little north of 500 total high rises, while Charlotte has nearly 400 listed!!!! :huh: What is up with that??? Then I started digging a bit more and noticed other large cities like Boston and Philly were also just over 500 total high rises while cities like Charlotte had almost 400, which is about the same number they have for Seattle??? Now I am a HUUUUUUUUGE Charlotte fan, but I have lived in ATL, Philly and my home office in Boston and can personally assure anyone that Charlotte has no where near the number of Buildings of those cities. However if you look at Emporis (which I though was a fact based site) you would think they were all about the same size in terms of building count.

Can anyone explain this ? How can Charlotte have the almost identicle number of high rises as a city like Seattle. I have been to Seattle and can assure you that this is not the case. For what it is worth I can count all of the high Rises in Charlotte using a number well under a hundred. At least from Center City building count. As a matter of fact I think there might be less than 50-70 total high rises (buildings over 12 stories) in our Central Business District. I can count the true high rises within our Center City on my Hands and Toes. Can someone tell me where this information is coming from ???

Thanks,

A2

EMMPORIS information is compiled by local editors who submit information to the website (and local photographers who submit pictures). Anyone can apply to be an editor for the site, but not all applications are approved because existing editors and moderators must approve an application.

If one city or area of the country is lacking information or has inaccurate information, it is probably because the area has no editor or has old information. You can submit information or pictures to the site (I believe even if you aren't an editor). If you have time, you should do so and then your complaints should be addressed, more or less.

Thanks,

A2

Thanks,

A2

• 5 weeks later...

Emporis is OK but really reflects the diligence of the editor for each city. If one counted buildings down to 6 stories in Boston for example there would be thousands of buildings. Many cities, such as Boston have lots of buildings over 20 stories with no official height listed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have done a lot of work as photographer for emporis for my hometown of Lansing, MI. Not so much taking pictures, but helping our local editor compile data, buiding a complete list of significant structures and get heights, ages, ect, ect. If you live in an area where information is outdated or innaccurate, join Emporis and work on changing it. Start with the basics, like gathering a complete list of buildings that should be listed, down to as few as four floors, depending on the size of your city, and try to get pics of all of them. Then work of finding the age and square footage using property tax records and height can be found by searching sanborn fire maps, often found online or on microfilm. Their system depends entirely on normal people

Archived