Urban farms / vegetable gardens

gs3

Thought this was an interesting article about small vegetable gardens and small plot farms within urban environments. Anytone think there would be interest in Greenville? With Clemson so close by and having a major agricultural program, seems this is something they could sponsor. Are there any of these types of community plots around the city anywhere?

Article:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FAR...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

Interesting website:

http://www.growingpower.org/

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'd be great if the city of Greenville could find some land downtown to enter a public-private partnership into to create some innovative rooftop gardens. When I say "some", I mean a large amount of roof space, maybe an entire city block (or more)...? The environmental benefits alone can be huge by removing some of the heat reflective surfaces of the urban core. It can simply be a park area, or an actual produce farm that can be sold at the Saturday Market. I think if the innovative approach was taken, it could be another attraction that other cities could come look at for ideas to improve themselves. But maybe this isn't quite the thread for this discussion? The results for the city could be tremendous and GREEN.

It'd be great if the city of Greenville could find some land downtown to enter a public-private partnership into to create some innovative rooftop gardens. When I say "some", I mean a large amount of roof space, maybe an entire city block (or more)...? The environmental benefits alone can be huge by removing some of the heat reflective surfaces of the urban core. It can simply be a park area, or an actual produce farm that can be sold at the Saturday Market. I think if the innovative approach was taken, it could be another attraction that other cities could come look at for ideas to improve themselves. But maybe this isn't quite the thread for this discussion? The results for the city could be tremendous and GREEN.

Some cities mandate a certain percentage of rooftop gardens and this trend seems to be growing. In addition to rooftop gardens, think of a rooftop vegetable garden.....say Soby's next restaurant venture has one, he grows his own vegetables and uses them in the restaurant. Could help drive the Slow Foods Movement. :thumbsup:

http://www.slowfood.com/about_us/eng/philosophy.lasso

http://www.cityfarmer.org/subrooftops.html

• 7 months later...

Unfortunately the very first link posted in this thread gave me a 404, but I think there is plenty of interest around here for these sorts of things. I've been interested in finding community gardens in the Upstate recently, but I havn't had much luck. Yall have shared some really great links so far! Thanks! Here is some information I've found on gardens and such in the area.

Seems most ppl here already know about the Elements, I found another community garden that is now about a year or two old, also close to the downtown Greenville area, but I couldn't find the link with pictures I ran across a few days ago. I seem to remember participation being resricted to those who lived nearby who could pay the fee for membership.

I read that during WW2 there were around 50 victory gardens operating in Cleveland Park.. I think it would be nice to transform a simple, convenient patch of grass at Cleveland Park (that probably gets mowed with a gas-powered engine) back into a public/community/victory garden.

I read in the Greenville Magazine (April) that an org called Trees Greenville has one program where they create educational forest gardens at schools, and they are part of a second program called Legacy Trees which has identified 2,200 potential planting sites in Greenville County for preserving trees with the potential to live 100+ years ().

The Greater Greenville Master Gardeners are involved in community projects (http://www.greatergreenvillemastergardener.org).

I've heard of something that people in other cities do called guerilla gardening where they turn an empty lot into a public garden overnight without permission. I think it sounds like fun, but Google didn't return anything helpful for "guerilla gardening greenville, sc" :)

I don't know if anyone has started a project here to bring gardens to public schools and incorporate them into the curriculum, but I've heard of schools around the country being successful with this.

I've read the 2025 report and I know that more green spaces and public gardens are a part of that vision, so there is broad support. I'm a student at USC Upstate and along with some other students I'm looking at ways to broaden the schools environmental focus, so we will be looking at some potential projects like these to get involved in.

I've heard of something that people in other cities do called guerilla gardening where they turn an empty lot into a public garden overnight without permission. I think it sounds like fun, but Google didn't return anything helpful for "guerilla gardening greenville, sc" :)

Archived