Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spartan

How about the real Georgia?

So how about it? Does anyone know anything else about the real Georgia? aka--> NOT Atlanta?

Here are some stats on the rest of the state:

-Without Atlanta the rest of GA has about 4 million people.

-There are 159 counties in GA. So about 139 that aren't a part of Atlanta.

-Georgia's State Flag:

nunst090.gif

This flag has been the topic of debate recently.

-Augusta is Georgia's second largest city with 195,182 people

Followed by:

3- Columbus 185,781

4- Savannah 131,510

5- Athens 100,266

List any other facts about the rest of Georgia that you have, or any other new/info that you wish to share.

Augusta recently decided to delay the erection of a statue of its hometown hero James Brown due to his recent arrest from his home in Aiken, SC for spousal abuse.

Guest donaltopablo

Savannah was originally the the state capital.

Georgia was originally founded as a prison colony.

Pecans, Peanuts and Peaches...

and cotton and corn and everything else it seems.

Southern Georgia is still very agricululturally based.

Savannah, Augusta, and Milledgeville have been capitals of Georgia before Atlanta.

Milledgeville still has an old capitol building, and it is more central to th rest of the state.

Savannah, Augusta, and Milledgeville have been capitals of Georgia before Atlanta.

Milledgeville still has an old capitol building, and it is more central to th rest of the state.

As has Louisville & Washington.

Georgia does have some interesting rural scenery, such as Callaway Gardens, Okefenokee Swamp, Providence Canyon, plus Toccoa Falls and assorted other hilly terrain in the northern part of the state.

only peanut farming president

only beer brewing presidents brother

;)

Macon used to have a population well above 100,000. Now its around 98,000, but it probably has Georgia's third largest historic downtown core behind Atlanta and Savannah.

Valdosta has actually turned into a nice college town now (Valdosta State University). I was very pleased to visit the area.

I would give Savannah the edge over Atlanta in terms of historic downtown core :)

I didn't realize Louisville was once the capital. It must have been very briefly though. I drive through that town at least twice a year.

South Georgia has thousands of acres of pecan farms... particularly around Albany... but many of them are no long funtional. It is very odd to drive through the area and see these more modern houses built in around these huge/ancient pecan trees that are no longer farmed. This is not to say they don't farm pecans anymore, its just a smaller amount.

---------------------------------------------

Other facts:

Georgia has many internationally known cities including:

Rome

Athens

Vienna (pronounced vai-anna)

Dublin

Cairo (pronounced cay-roh)

-The creator of Star Trek, Gene Roddenbury, is from Cairo, GA.

-Saint Marys, located in Southeast GA, is the second oldest city in the nation.

- New Echota, Ga was the capital of Cherokee Nation before their forced removal in 1838.

Guest donaltopablo

What's up with the deep south and the stupid confederate flag?

Good question. People seem to be more interested in fighting for the confederate flag down here, than the American flag :lol:

Good question. People seem to be more interested in fighting for the confederate flag down here, than the American flag :lol:

That is not true. Most people down here just recognize the Confederate Flag as a historical flag, and one of Southern Heritage. Its not so much uniting behind that flag as it is saying "hey, we have this in common."

It is unfortunate that the Confederate flag (which is really the Navy Jack) got tied up with segregation and all that mess. I know that if it weren't for that, this flag issue wouldn't be such a big deal.

Like it or not the Civil War did happen, and the Confederacy did exist.

This is not to say there aren't racists people who fly it out of hate. I know for a fact you could drum up some random website about these people. But I think that these people are more in the minority than somone who doesn't live here would think.

Guest donaltopablo

I'm not sure I completely agree with you.

I have no problem with conferederate history or legeacy. I understand that it did exist and then people are going to honor it's meaning (state's rights) and those who foughts, even the figures of the war.

However, 90% of the time this issue comes up it's not a question of heritage. The GA state flag is a perfect example. The flag was changed in 1956 not to honor the conferedate history, but as a sign of protest to forced integration. Unforunately for those who who believe the conferedate flag is an honorable symbol, they have allowed it to be used as a symbol of hate and interolerance.

But how can it honor history when the majority of the people for it, do not know it's true meaning? Does anyone else down here in the south find it ironic that the flag still divides people today, just like it did in 1861? Surely you can honor your heritage in a manner that does not imply what the conferdate flag has grown to imply. And I do somewhat feel for those who truly understand the meaning of their symbol, but they have allowed it to be hijacked and used for something else. Very few groups came out when the Klan started using it as a symbol. Very few groups railed against the use of it to protest integration in the 50s. They failed to stand up for what it meant, and by doing so, have degraded it's meaning. It needs to remain on battlefields and in history books, because it should be a source of shame, not pride, that southerns allowed their history and symbols to be stolen and used for hate.

That's why it needs to go. And frankly, I've about had it with people who say 40 years AFTER it was used as a sign of protest to racial equality make an argument that it's 'historical' and a sign of heritage.

There's all kinds of people that fly it for different reasons. Some people say its for heritage - but heritage of what? Proud to have a racist history?

Nazi history is interesting, and should be studied. But do we fly that flag to "remember" what happened? No. Well, the vast vast majority of us don't anyway. LOL

I revert back to my original statement.

What is the deal with the confederate flag and the deep south? In 2004 it shouldn't be an issue. Sadly, it is.

Guest donaltopablo

Proud to have a racist history?
Well, you have to understand that not everything about the confederacy was racist. Let us not forget that many northern states still allowed slave ownership, and did so throughout the course of the civil war. There is some heritage, and value, in the fact that much of what started the civil war was state's rights.

My problem isn't with it's confederate background (although some nut cases take that a little too far, sure). But it's what the flag turned out to represent that made it a negative symbol.

What is the deal with the confederate flag and the deep south? In 2004 it shouldn't be an issue. Sadly, it is.

I think it's the failure of those who want a symbol to recongize heritage failing to realize what that symbol has become and how it came into focus to begin with. It really shouldn't be an issue, I agree. I think people should be resonable enough to know the reasons behind many of the uses of the confederate flag in the south aren't the use of heritage. They should either seek out a new symbol to illustrate their heritage, and clearly seperate it from those who attempt to use it as a sign of hate - or simply move on and celebrate their heritage the way most everyone else does... in history books and parks.