Perimeter Mall

atlforlife

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my earliest memories was when I was the typical gen-x flunky I took classes at the dekalb college dunwoody campus. We would sometimes skip class & go to the food court at the mall. This was around '90 & '91, the mall then was still mostly surrounded by vacant fields & the office parks were not fully developed. Also more notably was that the mall was the ONLY retail development there back then.

Nothing is interesting about the food court - it's a typical food court. But more importantly there is NOTHING INTERESTING about taking boring classes at a college attended by fellow college drop outs & rejects. So - not that Dunwoody is that exciting now, I can assure you it was far less exciting back in '90.

Hence - the reason we would hang out at the food court b/c (at the time) it was less than 5 to 10 minutes away.

But you know Steven I have noticed one particular development that sticks out regarding " lifestyle."

Until recently with the construction starting on the Streets Of Buckhead, Atlanta was having trouble wooing in some of the luxury retailers. But now that the city is going to offer this magnificent streetscape enviroment and the luxury retailers are flocking to this development with so far such retailers as Hermes, AG, Etro, Dominico Vacca, Loro Piana, and Bottega Veneta, they seem happy.

Some of the decision makers from the fashion houses said they preferred streetscape as oppossed to being shut up in an enclosed mall, no matter how exclusive it is.

I found this to be very interesting in understanding the Europeans and their ideas about how retail best works for them.

By their very nature as open and accessible environments, malls place certain guidelines on luxury retailers that those retailers are unwilling to meet for practicality reasons like open storefronts, common area maintenance costs and required hours of operation. Most of the stores listed tend to operate on their own hours and tend to attract destination shoppers, rather than browsers like mall stores. That's why.

Within the next five years I would expect the number of enclosed malls in metro Atlanta as well as the rest of the nation to be reduced up to 50%. The lifestyle center and mixed use developments is the next "IN" thing of retail. The malls such as Gwinnett Place, North Point, Town Center as well as others will die unless if they reinvent theirselves with a lifestyle addition. I say that Lennox and Phillips will feel the effects of the Streets of Buckhead development. All it take for Lennox to decline is to lose some of its upscale stores and an anchor such as Nieman Marcus. Once stores start leaving others will follow. F.Y.I Look what happened to Gwinnett Place which was by far one of Atlanta's nicer malls 10 years ago after the Mall of Georgia opened in 2000. This is the same trend that killed off downtown shopping 40 years ago. Now street shopping in in style again as developments such as Atlantic Station model themselves after 5th Avenue type shopping. Who knows maybe 40 years from now typical Malls will be in style again but for now the "Mall" as we used to know it is history. After all I would rather shop at a place like Prospect Park that has its own personality instead of a boring cookie cutter mall.

Not all malls are declining though. I think we're long way from seeing any sort of decline at Lenox/Phipps. These malls are extremely profitable and are regional destinations.

This is unlike Gwinnett where you have a newer, larger mall a few miles away with the exact same stores.

SOB is occupying the exclusive end of the "upscale" retail landscape , perhaps what Phipps was originally intended to be. Some retailers might prefer a street level store but most will either be happy with the success they already have or simply don't fit the SOB profile. From what I've read SOB will be all boutique sized shops (no department stores) exactly like the more intimate and exclusive districts its modeled after.

Within the next five years I would expect the number of enclosed malls in metro Atlanta as well as the rest of the nation to be reduced up to 50%. The lifestyle center and mixed use developments is the next "IN" thing of retail. The malls such as Gwinnett Place, North Point, Town Center as well as others will die unless if they reinvent theirselves with a lifestyle addition. I say that Lennox and Phillips will feel the effects of the Streets of Buckhead development. All it take for Lennox to decline is to lose some of its upscale stores and an anchor such as Nieman Marcus. Once stores start leaving others will follow. F.Y.I Look what happened to Gwinnett Place which was by far one of Atlanta's nicer malls 10 years ago after the Mall of Georgia opened in 2000. This is the same trend that killed off downtown shopping 40 years ago. Now street shopping in in style again as developments such as Atlantic Station model themselves after 5th Avenue type shopping. Who knows maybe 40 years from now typical Malls will be in style again but for now the "Mall" as we used to know it is history. After all I would rather shop at a place like Prospect Park that has its own personality instead of a boring cookie cutter mall.

Not all malls are declining though. I think we're long way from seeing any sort of decline at Lenox/Phipps. These malls are extremely profitable and are regional destinations.

This is unlike Gwinnett where you have a newer, larger mall a few miles away with the exact same stores.

SOB is occupying the exclusive end of the "upscale" retail landscape , perhaps what Phipps was originally intended to be. Some retailers might prefer a street level store but most will either be happy with the success they already have or simply don't fit the SOB profile. From what I've read SOB will be all boutique sized shops (no department stores) exactly like the more intimate and exclusive districts its modeled after.

• 3 months later...

General Growth Properties, owner of Perimeter Mall is reportedly in talks with Louis Vuitton, Tiffany & Co., and Gucci, to whoo them in as possible new luxury tenants at this very popular Atlanta mall.

One thing going for Perimeter Mall is that it is located in Perimeter Center, home to over 110,000 office workers and it is also located in the affluent neighborhood of Dunwoody and right next door to affluent Sandy Springs.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out as the mall tries to change to an more upscale status.

General Growth Properties, owner of Perimeter Mall is reportedly in talks with Louis Vuitton, Tiffany & Co., and Gucci, to whoo them in as possible new luxury tenants at this very popular Atlanta mall.

One thing going for Perimeter Mall is that it is located in Perimeter Center, home to over 110,000 office workers and it is also located in the affluent neighborhood of Dunwoody and right next door to affluent Sandy Springs.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out as the mall tries to change to an more upscale status.

Archived