Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlotte_native

Oprah openly endorses Obama

22 posts in this topic

While I don't hold Oprah to the level of worship that many I know do (I think she is interesting to a degree and does many good things though really she is just great at promotion and building an empire -- I don't watch her show), she is awfully influential in many aspects of American life. Will that tranfer to the presidential election? She has openly endorsed Barak Obama and is now working to raise funds for him...

i'm not voting for obama in the primaries. i don't care what anyone says. if more people actually thought for themselves, these endorsements wouldn't matter. it's really sad that some people need others like oprah to make up their mind on things like this.

as for oprah, i find her annoying. she does some nice things, but she seems somewhat fake to me.

i'm not voting for obama in the primaries. i don't care what anyone says. if more people actually thought for themselves, these endorsements wouldn't matter. it's really sad that some people need others like oprah to make up their mind on things like this.

as for oprah, i find her annoying. she does some nice things, but she seems somewhat fake to me.

i'm not sure how it will affect the general public. i'm sure those who love oprah and have similar political views, but can't think for themselves will go with obama simply because she is. but i'm sure there are people who love her, but don't have the same political views. they won't be voting obama.

I don't think she'll get many people to switch to Obama, or vote for him if undecided, just because she said she supported him. Just because 5 million people watch a program doesn't mean they agree with the host or actor's political views.

Actually, I think Oprah has unbelievable sway with her vast audience. Much to my chagrin, she really weilds some power, I think this could potentially be a huge windfall for Obama. I too agree that people should think for themselves, but, unfortunately, Oprah has pretty good control of the lemmings that watch her. Win for Obama...

My mother bought some DVD within 20 minutes of Oprah mentioning it one day on her show. I'd say Oprah has some pull.

My mother bought some DVD within 20 minutes of Oprah mentioning it one day on her show. I'd say Oprah has some pull.

If Obama is indeed nominated, then expect the race card to be pulled out immediately to be used against him and we will see how it goes. I don't know if America is ready for this yet.

^Look what it took to get GW Bush elected in 2004. That campaign elevated bigotry and fear to new levels in American politics and unfortunately it set a new standard for politics in this country because it worked. What amazes me are that so many Americans buy this line. Either they have their heads stuck in the sand in denial, or they are so damned stupid and clueless that it really won't matter who is nominated.

Actually, I think Oprah has unbelievable sway with her vast audience. Much to my chagrin, she really weilds some power, I think this could potentially be a huge windfall for Obama. I too agree that people should think for themselves, but, unfortunately, Oprah has pretty good control of the lemmings that watch her. Win for Obama...

The gay marriage stuff should be regulated at the state level, not the federal. Agree or disagree, it isn't an issue at the fedral level.

I wouldn't call the terrorism threat fear mongering, either. It is a matter of national defense that should have been addressed back in the mid-nineties, after the first attack on the WTC. It was addressed to some extent, but not to the extent needed.

Back to Oprah, I agree that there is a huge difference between getting people to buy a book and getting them to vote. If anyone is swayed it might be some Democrats, but I don't see any Republicans switching because of her endorsement.

Did she say why she was putting her support in Obama?

Of the democratic candidates, I am not surprised that she would support Obama. I like him far better than I like Hillary. He is intelligent, appears to be honest with the public, is not part of the Clinton Machine, has a far higher moral ground than Hillary, and overall has a more likable quality to him.

I think that it might make a difference in the end... but the Hillary campaign will self destruct Howard Dean style before it is over.

If it was a McCain v Obama match up, I would vote for Obama.

Indeed. But hard core republicans only amount to about 22-25% of the electorate. That is people who would vote for a Republican even if the GOP nominated Osama Bin Laden for president.

Of the democratic candidates, I am not surprised that she would support Obama. I like him far better than I like Hillary. He is intelligent, appears to be honest with the public, is not part of the Clinton Machine, has a far higher moral ground than Hillary, and overall has a more likable quality to him.

Here's a pretty good commentary that I read about how high profile Blacks, through their endorsements (either for Obama or Hillary), might influence the primaries. And I can't help but say that I read about those who endorsed Clinton with pretty much nothing but sheer bewilderment and disgust.