"Severe" Drought

Jones_

^I've always thought that saying came from the northern states. Down here, April tends to be the month with the most perennial flowers. (Dogwoods, azaleas, redbuds, tulips, jasmine, I could go on.)

Last year was a drought year, but in 2006 I seem to remember May being way more rainy than April (or maybe it was 2005).

Go figure.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raleigh is now on stage 1. Hopefully, people will realize just because the lake is full, it doesn't mean we are not still vulnerable and that we should not continue reasonable conservation measures. If we let everyone water like mad, it will be that much more difficult to manage in the next drought situation, therefore this is a good policy, along with tiered rates.

We're now one foot above a full pool. New drought status is out tomorrow. Probably will be "severe" instead of "extreme".

In related news, Applebee's is expected to rename their most popular appetizer. The new name is "Severe Shrimp Poppers". One of these days our drought will be downgraded to "Downright Tangy".

We're now one foot above a full pool. New drought status is out tomorrow. Probably will be "severe" instead of "extreme".

In related news, Applebee's is expected to rename their most popular appetizer. The new name is "Severe Shrimp Poppers". One of these days our drought will be downgraded to "Downright Tangy".

Despite being cautious about water supply, I do think the drought window needs to be redefined. They keep referencing back to January 2007 which shows a deficit of 7-8 inches, but we lived through that, its done...since flows subsurface and at the surface are normal or above, I think you can safely remove central NC from drought status of any kind. This does not mean though that development of permanant conservation measures should not be pursued....

I cut and pasted my post from another forum I read. Stream flows are really not up that much. We have a long ways to go before ground water is normal. That's why the still refer back to Jan. 2007

Here is some streamflow data for various creeks in Wake County.

ROCKY BRANCH BELOW PULLEN DRIVE Mean = 3.2 cfs current value = 0.59 cfs

SWIFT CREEK NEAR APEX, NC Mean = 73 cfs Current value = 9.3cfs

PIGEON HOUSE CR AT CAMERON VILLAGE Mean = 0.62 cfs Current value = 0.18 cfs

WALNUT CREEK AT SUNNYBROOK DRIVE Mean = 68 cfs current value = 31 cfs

CRABTREE CREEK AT HWY 70 Mean = 250 cfs current value = 119 cfs

WHITE OAK CR AT MOUTH NEAR GREEN LEVEL Mean = 46 cfs current value = 9.4 cfs

Here are some for Durham County

LITTLE RIVER AT SR1461 Mean = 221 cfs current value = 50 cfs

ENO RIVER NEAR DURHAM Mean = 279 cfs current value = 91 cfs

MOUNTAIN CREEK AT SR1617 Mean = 30 cfs current value = 6.6 cfs

NORTHEAST CREEK AT SR1100 Mean = 51 cfs current value = 20 cfs

All these readings are from April 9th after the nice wet spell we have had lately. I looked at a few graphs and they dropped quite rapidly after the rain.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived