Beltway HOT lanes

beltwayboy08

In febuary 2008, The Commonwealth of Virginia and it's parteners (private companies; one from australia and one from arlington) will finally start construction on the beltway. an additional 4 lanes will be added. 2 on each shoulder. then after each roadway is 6 lanes wide, the 2 inner lanes of the innerloop and outerloop will be designated as HOT lanes, making the capital beltway no less that 12 lanes wide ( 14 in some places rivaling the widest freeways in the world!). To use the lanes, you will need to either have at least 3 people in your vehicle, or pay the fee that will vary according to traffic density. (estimates are about $5 or $6 bucks). The lanes will start in Springfield and end at georgetown pike before the MD line at a cost of $1.7 billion,up by nearly half of what it used to be before they revised the plans. the springfield mixingbowl will again be underconstruction as crews add even more ramps onto it. (DANG!) the I-66 interchange will also be redone. tysons corner will have no less than 3 new access ramps dumping into it.

as for where the toll money will go, I dont know. I guess the money will be split inhalf; 1/2 to australia, and the other 1/2 to arlington?? what they said is that the private companies who are funding the project (due to the mistrerious lack of money from V-dot considering the project is in the most wealthy area in the nation) will collect tolls for 80 years, after which the commonwealth would take up ownership. this means that even if the companise were to completly stop doing whatever they do, the revenue from the beltway would keep them alive. for 80 years.

after the beltway is finished in 5 years from the start date, they are apparently already have plans for I-95 and I-395. translation: these companise are set 4 life. $$.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The general result is that additional lanes do not alleviate traffic. They simply create more congestion. The transportation planning for this area needs an overhaul. It's insane that one can't take a train from Washington to Annapolis. Perhaps the proposed Purple Line may help, but I have heard nothing of this for some time now.

The general result is that additional lanes do not alleviate traffic. They simply create more congestion. The transportation planning for this area needs an overhaul. It's insane that one can't take a train from Washington to Annapolis. Perhaps the proposed Purple Line may help, but I have heard nothing of this for some time now.

Archived