Savannah area roads and highways

109investments

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Click on the link above for the full story... But I am a regular traveler on HWY 21 and the road is packed, the state needs to do something about getting Effingham Parkway up, because houses are being added in Port Wentworth and Rincon every month.. plus now there is alot of business parks coming soon or opening up on 21 .. its going to be nuts, but the proposed roads (look at the pictures) are a great idea! I like the fact that trucks stay on Jimmy Deloach Parkway and soon Jimmy will connect to 16, so itll have stops on 16 and 95 ... without being stuck on 21 .............. its alll plannned! i wanna see action! and I know Mr. Morris from the GPA is pushing it, or he is saying Georgia will be sorry it didnt do it fast enough......... some people outside of savannah dont really see the impact but growing the ports is Georgias greatest asset hands down... and people in Atlanta are realizing it every day ....

:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
truman needs to go to hutchinson and there should be an elevated freeway loop (4 lanes, 2 east, 2 west) around the south end of downtown maybe replacing henry or anderson streets, with connections to the major north/ south roads, kind of like what truman does, so you wouldnt have to go through the dozens of stops across town, and finally connecting to 16. also, the area of waters between stephenson and derenne should be widened to 4 lanes.

Are you serious? Puting a freeway through the Historic District? Wow. I don't like that idea and it will NEVER happen. Besides there is so much renovation going on in this area it is really coming around. I can't believe someone would think about puting a freeway through this area of Savannah. This would set all the restoration Savannah has seen in the last 20 years back big time.

sorry i didnt mean to put elevated there, i was thining of several other things at the same time i guess i put down part of somthing else. that would kill the feel of that part of town.

ok, so what i mean is, basically a road that doesnt intersect every single north south street, just the major ones, allowing mor much quicker passage across the city while still letting you get off at the major roads. not quite sure how that would work, but some sort of fast east - west transportation system i think could really help. and yes, it should be farther south, for some reason i was thinking wheaton was south of the historic district. but i guess it that point you might as well make it derenne to go that far south.

nevermind.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

As much as I'd love to see the Truman connected to I-95 or even the SW Bypass, there is just so much marsh and established neighborhoods in it's way to make it financially feasible. I'm all for the idea of the current Phase 5 terminus at Abercorn & Holland, HOWEVER, I believe Abercorn should be reconstructed into an expressway and side service roads (as was said earlier, it'd be nightmarish during construction, but would benefit in the long run without all that demolition of established neighborhoods & cutting into marshes).

Yes, I do believe Truman should continue northward over the Savannah River as another suspension bridge (as expensive as it'd be) and connect with a widened U.S 17 before the ALT U.S. 17 intersection (a more realistic view instead of connecting with I-95 in S.C.). This mainly for a truck bypass for East Chatham industries.

I'm all for the Project DeRenne idea which was in the news earlier this month.

I'm a serious supporter of I-16 and 516 widening, AS WELL AS interchange reconstruction at 516 & 16 and 16 & 95. That is on the long term list of the GA DOT project list.

The MLK Flyover SHOULD be torn down with a new entrance into downtown at Gwinnett or Louisville.

I also believe the exit at Hy 21 and I-95 should be reconstructed and that there should be some sort of expressway connecting 516 with 95. Possibly extending 516 TO 95? That'd be great for commuters to Port Wentworth and Effingham.

Speaking of Effingham, I am a supporter of the Effingham Parkway. There have been reports in the papers, however, of there being TRAFFIC LIGHTS on this proposed parkway in Effingham. I do NOT support that and believe it should be a free flowing expressway all the way to GA 119 between Guyton and Springfield.

On a side note, I think that the state of Georgia needs to introduce the illuminated street sign at street light intersections, as seen in states as close as Florida. (I have seen a few in Atlanta, but only a select few) It'd help night visibility incredibly!

I also believe the exit at Hy 21 and I-95 should be reconstructed and that there should be some sort of expressway connecting 516 with 95. Possibly extending 516 TO 95? That'd be great for commuters to Port Wentworth and Effingham.

Speaking of Effingham, I am a supporter of the Effingham Parkway. There have been reports in the papers, however, of there being TRAFFIC LIGHTS on this proposed parkway in Effingham. I do NOT support that and believe it should be a free flowing expressway all the way to GA 119 between Guyton and Springfield.

The proposed toll road would be for Hy 21 and would be for a proposed elevated expressway paralleling the at-grade 21. I did not see where it mentioned taking it all the way in to Effingham.

As for I-3 and Effingham Parkway, I think it would be a good idea. These two projects need to tie in to each other for a high speed corridor between Chatham, Effingham and beyond.

Archived