It's been so quiet in here lately

TheGerbil

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been wondering the same thing. I live in Nashville, but check in with Pittsburgh every day. I grew up outside the city. I was there in August visiting my parents and had a chance to go downtown, it has changed so much and yet remains familiar, had lunch at The Church Brewery and took some relatives who had never been up the incline. I have a photo I took of the incline from Mt. Washington, on my desktop. Everyone who sees it wonders where this is. The skyline looks as beatiful as ever. I usually can't add much to the discussions but I get so much info about what's going on there.

City-Data is a cesspool of scum and villainy.

SkyscraperPage is my main focus...it's been my "online urban community" for years... but I like the personalities here at UurbanPlanet and enjoy contributing to the discussions... and the forum does have its own unique character. SkyscraperPage is pretty much development-focused... where here we can talk about anything Pittsburgh-related.

I'm sure things will pick up here again... it seems to go in cycles. Right now we're just basically waiting for a lot of the projects that have been talked about to break ground (like Riverparc)...

The lack of activity at Riverparc makes me a bit uneasy. There have been a couple of projects stall out or never come to fruition - I don't want this to be one of them. Riverparc is huge... it'll definitely change the entire look of downtown. Plus it seems like a guaranteed success. Downtown living is on the rise and this is a nice mixed development catering to a nice mix of incomes. It would be silly for this not to happen right now.

I agree about CityData, most of the posters don't seem to have actually set foot inside the city limits in twenty years. There was a long thread there about how you'd be sure to get shot as soon as you set foot on the Northside, an area where I both live and work and remain curiously unshot.

I try to read Skyscraperpage.com regularly but the site is broken more than it works. When it is working, there's some great stuff over there.

What disturbs me is that if you do a search for "Riverparc" on the Post-Gazette website... you only get NINE results. It's rarely been mentioned since the first few major announcements last year. In January, Riverparc recieved a substantial sum from the state. The Cultural Trust said ground should be broken on Phase 1 sometime "late this year". There's an article today about how Downtown rents are skyrocketing... so there may be demand for this massive project.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07257/817454-53.stm

Speaking of other sites... this summer I stumbled across city-data. Not sure if anyone here reads or posts on this site, but it seems to get a crazy amount of activity. I posted on it a couple of times, but actually couldn't stand the conversations after a while. The people on it give an incredible amount of bad advice about the city, and it seemed to be dominated by suburban-types, or people completely uninformed or uncaring about the city or urban life. It was a pretty frustrating experience.

City Data is made up mostly of soccer moms or and others who are similar in wanting to find that perfect suburb to house their trucks (now called SUVs).

Their is a dislike of cities and what discussion of cities that exists either consists of confusing city population numbers (the concept of a metro is foreign to them despite 99% living in the burbs.

The Pittsburgh one is odder than the others because some have started economic related threads and a few ex-pats hover 24/7 in that forum ready to pounce on anything that explains the demograhics or that the region has moved beyond 1985. They left in 1985 etc and refuse to accept anything other than that reality.

edit 9/19 yeah it's dead in here....

Funny that you mention Pittnurse... the last time I posted on CityData I got into a weird argument with her over the Southside. I don't understand how you could post on an urban forum and not have the least bit of appreciation for this neighborhood. The whole exchange ended up being so petty, juvenile and infuriating that I just stopped looking at the site. I guess in a way that means that she "won" (if you can even think of it that way), but it just didn't seem to be worth my time to talk to people like that. Kind of like arguing with your ultra-right-wing gay-bashing uncle over Thanksgiving. Why bother with people like that - you obviously aren't going to change any minds. Unfortunately, though, it seems like a lot of people get their (bad) information and advice from these people.

pittnurse is too removed from Pittsburgh to speak accurately about it, though she thinks that she does.

I remember the Southside discussion in particular, but she refuses to acknowledge the depth of the demographic issues.

And if you wander into the general U.S section you have awful threads of people comparing city populations and laughing at even considering metro areas.

Or generic threads like what town has the worst crime?

:huh:

I read City-Data all the time but only occasionally post there (or here or Skyscraperpage, for that matter). Yeah, there are a few people there that speak negative about the city, but when people ask questions, many are quick to respond in a very helpful manner. I've found that about 75% of the people there speak positive about the city. Oh, and I live within the city limits and I know of the others do as well.

Maaz

Archived