Looking for a Sketch Up guru

FilmMaker

I'm not sure if this is an appropriate thread - so I apologize in advance if I'm violating etiquette.

Our aspirations to construct a modest addition to our house really don't justify the investment in full architectural services. As such, we had a moonlighting person engaged for a while who managed to get our existing house created in Sketch Up but his free time evaporated just as we were about to begin laying out the additional spaces. I'd love to do it myself, but just haven't got the time to speed through the learning curve of Sketch Up.

So... I guess I'm wondering if any of the Sketch Up wizards here at UP might be interested in doing a little work on the side to take my existing file to the next level?

We have a rather unremarkable but well built walk-out ranch in a great setting that - if I were to throw financial caution to the wind - I'd love to give a complete face lift to make a more defined aesthetic and/or environmental/social statement. But alas, we simply need more space now that I am working from home and I've decided that a cost-effective addition can always get a face lift some time down the road if the aesthetic itch really gets to me long term. So... for now I am merely trying to find someone who can take my greatly distilled pile of ideas and rough dimensions and make them a 3D vision - from which we then might make a few very subtle aesthetic decisions regarding windows and other cost-effective details... and from which I can ultimately get engineering drawings made and more specific estimates for construction.

Ideally, this is a chance for someone to maybe make a few bucks on the side - as well as have what I'd hope would be a handful of stimulating conversations about how we might be able to establish a little character or aesthetic value in the process (both for what it would look like now - and maybe after a future update when my kids finally move out). While not very grand in scale - this could be a teeny chance for a Sketch Up hobbyist to leave his or hers aesthetic "finger print" on the built environment.

By the way, I've approached a handful of design/build contractors - but their seeming disinterest in a project of this scale has left me wondering how builders and remodelers are making a living these days. Anyone wishing to convince me otherwise is encouraged to send me private messages (outside this public forum) regarding potential remodelers or other viable alternatives.

Alas, any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated (aside from telling me to go learn Sketch Up and do it myself). Thank you in advance!!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you more interested in Sketchup for its aesthetic line drawn look? I'll be happy to help you out. I'm not one to rely solely on one program so I have a work flow which allows for many end products if needed -- such as photo-real stills and animations.

We have a rather unremarkable but well built walk-out ranch in a great setting that - if I were to throw financial caution to the wind - I'd love to give a complete face lift to make a more defined aesthetic and/or environmental/social statement. But alas, we simply need more space now that I am working from home and I've decided that a cost-effective addition can always get a face lift some time down the road if the aesthetic itch really gets to me long term. So... for now I am merely trying to find someone who can take my greatly distilled pile of ideas and rough dimensions and make them a 3D vision - from which we then might make a few very subtle aesthetic decisions regarding windows and other cost-effective details... and from which I can ultimately get engineering drawings made and more specific estimates for construction.

• 3 weeks later...

My first post woot!

just wanted to let you know that I recently had a 2 story addition put on my lakefront home in Grattan. I couldn't be happier with the builder. We were feeling discouraged by the comments from other contacts who told us to bulldoze our cottage sized house and start over. But found a guy in Belmont who had a great attitude and even took the lead with our township when we ran into zoning issues with setbacks and such. It all turned out for the best, you would not believe the before and after pictures. A year later when we called with a minor issue he was there tackling it with no hesitation.

I personnaly would reccomend Mark Cone of Conecraft builders to anyone looking at a remodel.

Archived