pre South Park

tismyself

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My family moved to Charlotte from Jax, FL in 1964 (I was 4 years old) and we lived about a mile from Southpark. Strangely enough, I can't visualize the farmland as it was before Southpark was built. But I do remember seeing all the red clay when they prepped the land as well as the skeletal structure during construction. And I also remember the grand opening and how much I loved the "big" fountain which was advertised as being 50ft tall and the largest indoor fountain in NC (or something like that). Funny how certain things stick in your mind. :huh:

I think I know what tismyself is referring to. There's a black and white picture from the mid-60s that shows cows grazing on the land that eventually became the mall site. You can see the old tiny skyline in the distance. I've gone through several pages of the SouthPark thread but can't seem to find it. I'm pretty sure that pic was posted somewhere on here before.

I worked a summer job at J.A. Jones Construction, and worked on the concrete crew building the mall (mostly on Ivey's-now Dillard's). We worked one Saturday on Belk. There was nothing there. Even before the start of concrete pouring, us grunts were out in the summer sun turning dirt with shovels. I believe the Gulf station was there, as Belk and Ivey wanted that corner piece of adjacent land, but the gas station held out. After SouthPark was built, I frequented it, but these days I rarely go there...as a sales lady at Belk said about a year ago: "We've upscaled." I'm ok with it, but I just don't feel the same attachment to the mall anymore. Even the layout inside is confusing to me now. Also, no drug store inside the mall, no attached grocery store, cleaners, or movie theatres. I even miss the hot dogs at the Woolworth counter. Now I just go for the occassional Cheesecake Factory, Dick's sporting goods, or even the foodcourt. I haven't even been to the symphony, as it's too crazy to fight for space amongst those that throw a blanket or chair down and "save" their space.

Who moved my cheese?

I think I know what tismyself is referring to. There's a black and white picture from the mid-60s that shows cows grazing on the land that eventually became the mall site. You can see the old tiny skyline in the distance. I've gone through several pages of the SouthPark thread but can't seem to find it. I'm pretty sure that pic was posted somewhere on here before.

Wow. Thanks for the memories. I grew up within a mile or two of Southpark too. I was 10 when it opened and vividly remember driving by the pasture and having the old skyline pointed out to me before construction. I remember the 'hippy days', when the 'long hairs' hung out there. Does anyone remember the clacker fad? How about those pesky kids who used to sit around the fountain banging those balls so the sound would eco down the halls <g>.

I can barely remember when Park Rd was only two lanes. Someone mentione the Gulf station. That was Kirk Browne's Gulf. One of his sons still has a garage in town I believe.

I remember the Eastern Airlines building and even went inside it once. It was classic modern architecture that complemented SouthPark and what they were doing over there at the time. That entire area is so different looking now that someone who was gone for 20 years simply would not recognize. In some ways, it has change more than even downtown.

I remember the Eastern Airlines building and even went inside it once. It was classic modern architecture that complemented SouthPark and what they were doing over there at the time. That entire area is so different looking now that someone who was gone for 20 years simply would not recognize. In some ways, it has change more than even downtown.

Archived