Michigan unions unite to fight Wal-Mart

Allan

• 9 months later...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having been a part of the UFCW local 951, I can safely say that Robert Potter is an arsehat.

Meijer used to be a decent retailer to work for a few years ago. Ever since Wal-mart entered the picture 10 yrs ago though the Union has diverted all of its time and effort to keeping wal-mart out. The union has snce accepted horrible contracts, the latest being the worst of all...

Real employee protection is going out the window, and benefits are being rapidly cut for part time workers. Starting wages went down fifty cents with the last contract, even with the modest hike in salary caps. There is also an investigation into the recent voting process used by the UFCW. Some people believe that Potter cooked the vote.

Meijer is NOT a shining example of how to run a company. It's vendor proactices are almost as bad as Wal-Marts, and its definately on its way out of buisness entirely. I'd say the only thing keeping Meijer alive is the fact that Fred isn't dead yet.

• 1 month later...

Having been a part of the UFCW local 951, I can safely say that Robert Potter is an arsehat.

Meijer used to be a decent retailer to work for a few years ago. Ever since Wal-mart entered the picture 10 yrs ago though the Union has diverted all of its time and effort to keeping wal-mart out. The union has snce accepted horrible contracts, the latest being the worst of all...

Real employee protection is going out the window, and benefits are being rapidly cut for part time workers. Starting wages went down fifty cents with the last contract, even with the modest hike in salary caps. There is also an investigation into the recent voting process used by the UFCW. Some people believe that Potter cooked the vote.

Meijer is NOT a shining example of how to run a company. It's vendor proactices are almost as bad as Wal-Marts, and its definately on its way out of buisness entirely. I'd say the only thing keeping Meijer alive is the fact that Fred isn't dead yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

where do I begin. This is definetly a hot button topic for me. Mona Williams is full of corporate B.S. when she says that unions wouldn't add anything at all to there associates. Damn that is ridiculous. Why? because the six spoiled kids of walton are all worth a billion dollars a piece. give me a break! Wal-Mart is worst thing going for america. $9.64 an hour can't pay bills, can't buy new homes, can't pay for college, can't do a damn thing except make the corporate giant a little more weathy. It disgusts me that anyone will go and shop there. I make it a point to go out of my way to find small mom and pop stores to buy my goods. Because when i pay a little more for the goods at least i know the money goes right back into the local economy and not fayetteville, arkansas. good thread Allan. this topic needs to be discussed more!

Hell, they don't even pay that much here.

I think partial blame has to go to consumers. Walmart wouldn't have such a negative impact if a lot of people didn't complete rely on Walmart for the majority of their needs. It's not so bad in Michigan yet, since we have local companies like Meijer that have been holding Walmart back a little. It's too bad that Walmarts has been starting to force its way in recent years.

I have to admit that I go there to find deals from time to time. I don't go there on a weekly basis or anything, though. I still try to shop at local businesses on a regular basis in the meantime. I don't think there would be such a Walmart scare if more people would do that. But to most people it's just too convient to do so.

I have never purchased anything at a Walmart, and I don't plan to start anytime soon. My hometown is building a Super Walmart & a Sam's Club right next to each other in the same hideous-looking development. That won't make me shop there either. However, many people grow to rely on Walmart for their every need, which really hurts local businesses. Walmart has invaded town after town...no place is immune anymore. Walmart's goal is to completely control the market, and they seem to be doing a very good job of that.

• 2 months later...

So far, and thank G-d, Detroit has been immune. I sincerely hope with everything in my soul that Walmart never has an opportunity to build in Detroit. What we've been doing to promote the regrowth of local business will be completely lost. They're one of the few things in this world I truly, and without respite, hate. I avoid Walmart like the plague but my mother shops there because it's an easier strain on her budget. (I sympathize with this because I know that she doen't have it easy)

I know there are much better places in this world to get a break, unfortunately most people don't want to take the time to consider an alternative. It's the explotation of American's selfishness and Walmart is basking in the glow.

It's unfortunate that this country has reached the point when every man or woman doesn't have the opportunity to make decent wages to feed and clothe their family, to have good healthcare and when this same ideal is acceptable in society for the sake of cheaper soap and pillows.

I need to stop thinking about this before I depress myself...

WS

Supposedly Sprawlmart told the city that the TS site was two acres too small. After all, they need to have plenty of parking spaces.....

I'm going to be pissed if the city ruins Corktown by putting in a big box store there. It would just be yet another missed opportunity for the city. Put the big box crap out on 7 Mile, not near downtown.

where do I begin. This is definetly a hot button topic for me.  Mona Williams is full of corporate B.S.  when she says that unions wouldn't add anything at all to there associates. Damn that is ridiculous. Why? because the six spoiled kids of walton are all worth a billion dollars a piece. give me a break! Wal-Mart is worst thing going for america. $9.64 an hour can't pay bills, can't buy new homes, can't pay for college, can't do a damn thing except make the corporate giant a little more weathy. It disgusts me that  anyone will go and shop there. I make it a point to go out of my way to find small mom and pop stores to buy my goods. Because when i pay a little more for the goods at least i know the money goes right back into the local economy and not fayetteville, arkansas. good thread Allan. this topic needs to be discussed more!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont shop at wal-mart either, and I abhor their anti-union practices, but I do feel that the Union DOES have more important matters then to badger Wal-mart, their employees should come first.

• 3 weeks later...

If we don't act soon, Wal-mart could as well be considered a monopoly in the market, as well as push our economy into a deep(er) hole. Wal-Mart basically buys lower-priced items from foreign countries and sells them at a low price.

If everybody shops at Wal Mart, it benefits other countries economies, and hurts ours.

• 1 month later...

We refer to it as "SquallMart," because of the screaming, feral brats who dominate the place. If anyone's on the fence about having kids, a walk through any given SquallMart provides effective aversion therapy!

I have shopped there exactly once, and took the piece of crap vacuum back the next day for a refund. Never again.

Rylee's Ace Hardware for me!

want to know about a company who's getting it right ?

www.costco.com

Costco is doing it right, expecially compared to Sams Club, but there arent many in Grand Rapids

We refer to it as "SquallMart," because of the screaming, feral brats who dominate the place. If anyone's on the fence about having kids, a walk through any given SquallMart provides effective aversion therapy!

I have shopped there exactly once, and took the piece of crap vacuum back the next day for a refund. Never again.

Rylee's Ace Hardware for me!

Hmmm... I dont think Ive ever seen a vacuum at Rylee's before :P I remember when the one local to me wasnt Rylee's though, before they completely renovated that tiny store.

Archived