Possible development on U.S.Finishing site

gs3

Looks like a developer wants to take the old U.S.Finishing plant site and turn it into a commercial development, with possible residential. Would be great to see this happen as the site lies along the tram/trail route to the North. Site has environmental problems due to the years of manufacturing there......so cleanup could possibly be too costly.

Article from Greenville News:

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../709120311/1003

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like a developer wants to take the old U.S.Finishing plant site and turn it into a commercial development, with possible residential. Would be great to see this happen as the site lies along the tram/trail route to the North. Site has environmental problems due to the years of manufacturing there......so cleanup could possibly be too costly.

Article from Greenville News:

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../709120311/1003

The building itself, or what is left of it, and the area up the hill from the building are not in the floodplain.

More Information including an aerial photo of how this property relates to the Reedy River and Rail-to-Trail line. The old railbed runs between the Reedy River and the power line cutout that you see in the 96 ac tract.

The building itself, or what is left of it, and the area up the hill from the building are not in the floodplain.

More Information including an aerial photo of how this property relates to the Reedy River and Rail-to-Trail line. The old railbed runs between the Reedy River and the power line cutout that you see in the 96 ac tract.

This site is one that can be reproved and benefit the Old Buncombe Road corridor. Several things are necessary to make development feasible. (1) Environmental cleanup will greatly reduce any waste and soil contaimination left by U.S. Finishing. (2) Grading over the site is necessary to raise the land many feet above the flood plain so Blue Ridge Drive does not flood. (3) Dense residential. (4) Widen Old Buncombe Road to four lanes from Blue Ridge Drive to Poinsett Highway.

This site is one that can be reproved and benefit the Old Buncombe Road corridor. Several things are necessary to make development feasible. (1) Environmental cleanup will greatly reduce any waste and soil contaimination left by U.S. Finishing. (2) Grading over the site is necessary to raise the land many feet above the flood plain so Blue Ridge Drive does not flood. (3) Dense residential. (4) Widen Old Buncombe Road to four lanes from Blue Ridge Drive to Poinsett Highway.

This site is one that can be reproved and benefit the Old Buncombe Road corridor. Several things are necessary to make development feasible. (1) Environmental cleanup will greatly reduce any waste and soil contamination left by U.S. Finishing. (2) Grading over the site is necessary to raise the land many feet above the flood plain so Blue Ridge Drive does not flood. (3) Dense residential. (4) Widen Old Buncombe Road to four lanes from Blue Ridge Drive to Poinsett Highway.

Really hope this development takes off. It would be such a boost for the area.

There is a little street (with landscaped median) cross corner to this site. Beautiful homes....several very large and grand. A couple feel very English countryside. The whole street has the feel of an European country lane. Someone told me this are was the Greenville Country Club back in the 20's maybe? Anyone know the name of the street I'm talking about or the history of the area?

Really hope this development takes off. It would be such a boost for the area.

There is a little street (with landscaped median) cross corner to this site. Beautiful homes....several very large and grand. A couple feel very English countryside. The whole street has the feel of an European country lane. Someone told me this are was the Greenville Country Club back in the 20's maybe? Anyone know the name of the street I'm talking about or the history of the area?

According to the article, the developer wants to do a commercial development where the plant is located currently. He already owns the next piece up Old Buncombe (the parking lot and field).

I think residential on the 90 acres behind the mill village would be perfect. It would have great access to the rail trail and the Reedy River. Some type of cluster development that would give a large park-like buffer would be the best. I could see more homes like at Pendleton West here.

I beleive you are talking about Claredon Ave. I have heard that some of the bigger homes at least belong to the owner of one or more of the mills in the area. I'm mainly thinking of the very large home at the corner of North Franklin and Claredon which is the far end of the road you are mentioning. I drive by their on a regular basis on the way home from the office or running errands.

I think residential on the 90 acres behind the mill village would be perfect. It would have great access to the rail trail and the Reedy River. Some type of cluster development that would give a large park-like buffer would be the best. I could see more homes like at Pendleton West here.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think that you will see something more happen now. It should be easier for the receiver to work with DHEC and get a real cleanup plan in place for the property. Once that happens, the property will become more marketable, as all parties will know what is expected.

Archived