New England Patriots - cheating

Mith242

Surprised no one has mentioned this yet. What does everyone think about this? This isn't even the first time there's been a problem with them doing stuff like this. They did some similar stuff last year. Green Bay kicked the guy trying to video-tape the signals last year. I admit I never was a Patriots fan, but now I just don't have any respect for them. They're already one of the best teams in the league. was it really necessary for them to do things like this?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it really cheating? I don't know all the details but if he's doing it in the open it's fair game right? It's not like they cut into their radio system in the booth. I don't think it's right or fair, but I don't think it's cheating. Kinda like NASCAR teams will do most anything to get a competitive advantage.

Is it really cheating? I don't know all the details but if he's doing it in the open it's fair game right? It's not like they cut into their radio system in the booth. I don't think it's right or fair, but I don't think it's cheating. Kinda like NASCAR teams will do most anything to get a competitive advantage.

True, I imagine a number of teams are doing something. I guess what just caught me off guard with this is how they were doing it. And for that matter it took this long before someone made a big deal about it. I've read some articles dismissing this. Mentioning that the Pats has first half leads in their Superbowl games and you probably wouldn't get rewarded till the second half. But what about the fact they perhaps shouldn't have won some of those games in the regular season? What if they didn't have as good of a record and some of those teams that had to play in New England at that time of year could have played at home instead? Maybe the Pats wouldn't have even made it to the Superbowl all those years.

The official NFL statement from yesterday:

"The rule is that no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game," the league said in a statement from spokesman Greg Aiello. "Clubs have specifically been reminded in the past that the videotaping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals on the sidelines is prohibited. We are looking into whether the Patriots violated this rule."

I think, like most "scandals," it's a little overblown. If the rules were broken, then pay the price. The talk about Belichick's legacy being tainted is nonsense. It's a footnote at best. Besides, nobody talks about John Elway's legacy being tainted even though the Broncos broke the salary cap rules to win those Super Bowls in the late '90s.

I think this sums it up for me: Pats sneak camera into super-secret location: the field

The Patriots may have been trying to steal the Jets' signals for immediate or future use, but there's nothing wrong with stealing signals. It's a fine and respectable art. If it weren't, teams wouldn't need signals that are coded.

The problem is when teams get sneaky about it, hiding a spy in some cranny of the home stadium that the visitors don't have access to or using listening devices to spy on huddles or locker-room meetings. Where a team has an expectation of privacy, it should get privacy. A guy standing on the sideline and flashing semaphores to the middle linebacker can't expect privacy. Again: That's why the signals are coded. That's why the code should be changed every now and again.

The Jets and Patriots are bitter rivals who aren't shy about accusing each other of all kinds of dastardly deeds, so it's worth noting that this accusation came from the league, not the Jets, and that the Jets don't seem to be using it as an excuse for having their hats handed to them on Sunday. I don't think the Jets have a signal, after all, for "let Ellis Hobbs run a kickoff back 108 yards."

I guess maybe it's just me then. To me it's just more the fact of how it all came about. He's been warned before in the past. One, he did it anyway and didn't seem to be hiding the fact too much. Second is that it looks like he's been getting away with this for a while. I'm sure other coaches and teams do other things as well. But this still bugs me and I have no respect for Belichick. Here's a clip of a Bob Cook article on MSNBC.

So it’s true that the New England Patriots are hardly the first team to use available technology to take a peek at what their opponents are planning. For that matter, the Patriots are hardly the first to come up with a scheme to steal another team’s signals. But as long as signs have been stolen, there also has been an ethic among many players and teams that certain lines must not be crossed. Figuring out someone’s signals through observation or game film is one thing. Having a system designed to cheaply steal another team’s code is another.

This was a "win at all costs" move by the Pats and they got caught. If this was a one time event, then I would be OK with the fines and penalties, but if there was evidence that this has been going on for several years, then you have to question the legitimacy of the Super Bowl titles. Sad to hear, none the less.

I still don't understand why they would punish the team for next year instead of punishing them for this year. Is there any reason that the NFL wouldn't have made them forfeit the Jets win for this. I would think that would be a lot more serious punishment than taking away a low first round draft pick. The fine is ok, but, that is just pocket change to millionaire coaches like him.

I still don't understand why they would punish the team for next year instead of punishing them for this year. Is there any reason that the NFL wouldn't have made them forfeit the Jets win for this. I would think that would be a lot more serious punishment than taking away a low first round draft pick.

Archived