New projects in East Hills

GRGridGirl

To not steal the light away from what's going on in Eastown and because I couldn't find a thread that was dedicated to East Hills, I started this one.

Yes, the business district in East Hills is thriving. Currently the business district is at a 98% occupancy rate. I would have to say that is one of the highest occupancy rates in any of the urban business districts in GR. There is approx. one space available left. The competition to get in some of the vacant spaces has been fierce. The success of the district is from many people and organizations, past and present. The Historic Preservation tax credits have helped. The new brick street on Cherry, the reconstruction of Lake Drive, the ornamental lighting, the banners, the streetscape amenities and bike racks have all contributed too. The redevelopment of the vacant corner into the East Hills Center was an incredible boost to the district. Just a couple years ago people avoided walking by the EHC corner, now thousands of folks walk by this corner every week. ICCF, the Green Well, and the Fairmount Square project will enhance the district more. The density and walkable streets create a compact urban business district making it easy for patrons to shop from store to store. The private investment in the surrounding neighborhood and increase in owner-occupied housing helps. It's been a team effort and when there is no more space available in the EHBD, the success will trickle to neighboring business districts. I look forward to the day when all four of Uptown's business districts are close to a 90% occupancy rate. It will happen, it just takes time.

To celebrate the re-opening of Cherry Street and to welcome all new businesses and nonprofits to the East Hills Business District, there is a street party in East Hills this Thursday, September 13th. There is a ribbon cutting ceremony at 4:30pm followed by the �Shop the Universe!� street party from 5-10pm which will include an evening of:

• Shopping and entertainment at your favorite East Hills businesses on Diamond, Lake Drive, and Cherry SE
  • Store opening celebrations at seven new businesses in East Hills
  • Free public tours from 5-6:30pm of the West Michigan Environmental Action Council�s office at 1007 Lake Drive
  • Green ribbons and balloons will landmark participating locations.

Here is a list of the new/recent businesses in East Hills: (I understand that some have been mentioned before)

• Cheveux: 968 Cherry SE. Opened August 2007.
  • Clothing Matters: 141 Diamond SE. Opening September 13.
  • David & Bathsheba: 958 Lake Drive SE. Opening September 13.
  • Green Well: 924 Cherry SE. Opening September 19.
  • Lamb: 949 Cherry SE. Opening September 13.
  • PINK BLVD: 974 Cherry SE. Opening September 13.
  • Pure Studio: 972 Cherry SE. Opened Summer 2007.
  • Restaurant Bloom: 962 Cherry SE. Opened March 2007.
  • Sweet Connections: 909 Cherry SE. Opening November 2007.
  • The Yoga Studio: 955 Cherry SE. Opened May 2007.

I would have posted this info earlier, but I've been gone.

Edited by GRDadof3

• Cheveux: 968 Cherry SE. Opened August 2007.

• Clothing Matters: 141 Diamond SE. Opening September 13.
    • David & Bathsheba: 958 Lake Drive SE. Opening September 13.
    • Green Well: 924 Cherry SE. Opening September 19.
    • Lamb: 949 Cherry SE. Opening September 13.
    • PINK BLVD: 974 Cherry SE. Opening September 13.
    • Pure Studio: 972 Cherry SE. Opened Summer 2007.
    • Restaurant Bloom: 962 Cherry SE. Opened March 2007.
    • Sweet Connections: 909 Cherry SE. Opening November 2007.
    • The Yoga Studio: 955 Cherry SE. Opened May 2007.

I would have posted this info earlier, but I've been gone.

Besides the yoga and bloom, would you or anyone else mind telling us all what these new businesses specialize in?

Edited by twoshort

Besides the yoga and bloom, would you or anyone else mind telling us all what these new businesses specialize in?

* Cheveux: salon

* Clothing Matters: moved from eastown... sustainable clothing (?)

* David & Bathsheba: no clue

* Green Well: gastropub (restaurant / bar)

* Lamb: lifestyle boutique, glasses, stationery, bags, jewelry, awesomeness (tagline: life's accoutrements)

* PINK BLVD: ladies with style's new store...

* Pure Studio: photography studio

* Restaurant Bloom: ...

* Sweet Connections: sign outside says ice cream / confections / candy or something

* The Yoga Studio: ...

Shopping district welcomes retailers with party

What a great success story! It goes to show that redevelopment, especially retail, doesn't happen "organically", but with a few big cheerleaders, a concerted marketing and recruiting effort, and a few catalyst developments (Center of the Universe and 920 Cherry).

Very good. The ravioli under the quail was the best. We agreed it was the taste of autumn.

I agree that ravioli was very good, they could make a whole dish out of it. The quail was pretty good too.

Today I had the Kobe burger, it was pretty good. Very thick and juicy. The pork tenderloin was awesome. I didn't care for the duck quesadilla so much. We also had the calamari which was very tasty.

Last night at the vendor party I had the flat iron steak with creamed corn and spinach (sounds awful, but is one of the tastiest things I've ever had).

To end it all we had the dessert that had a brownie from Zingerman's with gelato on top. So yummy!

I agree that ravioli was very good, they could make a whole dish out of it. The quail was pretty good too.

Today I had the Kobe burger, it was pretty good. Very thick and juicy. The pork tenderloin was awesome. I didn't care for the duck quesadilla so much. We also had the calamari which was very tasty.

Last night at the vendor party I had the flat iron steak with creamed corn and spinach (sounds awful, but is one of the tastiest things I've ever had).

To end it all we had the dessert that had a brownie from Zingerman's with gelato on top. So yummy!

I wish they had a menu online; i like to know how much its going to cost me before I commit :)

I wish they had a menu online; i like to know how much its going to cost me before I commit :)

The most expensive plate was $19.99 that was the Flat Iron Steak. There were three dishes at $18.99 and everything else down from there.

There were three tiers of wine that you could buy by the glass. Tier 1 was $2.99 a glass Tier III was $10.99 a glass. (Hint, try the Cab in the Tier 1, very very tasty).

There are twenty beers on tap and plenty more in bottles.

The menu was basically divided into small plate meals (around $10 a plate, slightly bigger then San Chez) and large plate meals ($12-$20).

Plan on spending about the same amount of money as you would as Bistro's. Green Well might be a wee bit less expensive.

(Poke your head in the office, I've got a menu here)

The most expensive plate was $19.99 that was the Flat Iron Steak. There were three dishes at $18.99 and everything else down from there.

There were three tiers of wine that you could buy by the glass. Tier 1 was $2.99 a glass Tier III was $10.99 a glass. (Hint, try the Cab in the Tier 1, very very tasty).

There are twenty beers on tap and plenty more in bottles.

The menu was basically divided into small plate meals (around $10 a plate, slightly bigger then San Chez) and large plate meals ($12-$20).

Plan on spending about the same amount of money as you would as Bistro's. Green Well might be a wee bit less expensive.

(Poke your head in the office, I've got a menu here)

Thanks!

Edward Jones is the "Nail Salon" of semi-affluent business districts. :)

I'm sorta kidding, but it seems they crop up everywhere.

Edward Jones philosophy is to be more Main St. than Wall St - their strategy is to put multiple offices with only one investment representative in each office throughout an area instead of having a large office with multiple brokers in one regional location, ala a Merrill Lynch or Smith Barney. That's the reason they seem to crop up everywhere. I think I'd consider the East Hills area to be like a "Main Street."