New projects in East Hills

GRGridGirl

• 1 month later...

18 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

looks like the doors on that building at the corner of Diamond-Cherry-Lake Drive is having its long boarded up doors reopened. This is the case on both sides. Must be part of the plans of whomever bought the space recently.

WP_20160721_10_37_20_Pro.jpgWP_20160721_10_37_14_Pro.jpg

http://northstarcommercial.catylist.com/listing/LSWhDTkXVMI/975-Cherry-St-SE-Grand-Rapids-MI-49506

They put it up as an office for rent listing, must just be getting it ready to lease out.

5 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

This is off topic but I've been wondering lately what ever happened to that project at 921 Cherry - parking lot next to Vivant to be turned to condos and retail. Was that dropped or something?

Not really off topic. :) I've wondered that myself. I thought they had the places sold, the developer was also moving in, etc. I would have expected this to have started by now. 

Joe

• 5 weeks later...
15 hours ago, amylynne said:

The former Gaia building is finally for sale instead of lease: http://mls.carwm.com/listing/1UjabdNYFn4/207-209-Diamond-Ave-SE-Grand-Rapids-MI-49506

There were a couple different people looking at it today, so hopefully someone will buy it and get to work fixing it up.

Hopefully.   It seems to me that the investment returns if you tried to rent that building wouldn't even come close to justifying that price.  You're talking what, $25 a foot with the tenant paying taxes and everything else in order to make that work?  It will be interesting to see if the market will actually support that.  I probably would have figured that building for about half that.  Oh well.  Here's hoping it works and that the activity in that area can finally support shopping mall level rents.  That would really be quite spectacular.

I doubt it would sell at that price. It would be great but there isn't any parking and it is over double what properties are going for at diamond and Fulton. I think it is substantially more than what the owner for the space previously occupied by Raad's is asking. I can't recall what they were asking but it was enough to easily say no for an investment property. It is still for sale 8 months later. 

Yeah, I don't think it will sell for that much. When it was up for lease the rent price was way too high also, especially considering the work that will need to be done to get the space in decent shape.

The Raad's space is being worked on, presumably just to get it into a more appealing state.

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2016 at 6:52 PM, amylynne said:

The former Gaia building is finally for sale instead of lease: http://mls.carwm.com/listing/1UjabdNYFn4/207-209-Diamond-Ave-SE-Grand-Rapids-MI-49506

There were a couple different people looking at it today, so hopefully someone will buy it and get to work fixing it up.

Prospective new owners of the old Gaia space are going before the city HPC to see if they can get telescoping windows on the front to create an open air concept. 

The applicant is Tony Craig who owns two "Georgina's Fusion Cafes" (Asian and Latin Tacquerias) in Traverse City and Harbor Springs. No mention of what they plan to open here. 

Here's an article from February of this year about his up north expansions:

http://harborlightnews.com/main.asp?SectionID=3&SubSectionID=28&ArticleID=18746

If someone wants to call the architect's number on the drawing, UP could get the scoop on this...

209 Diamond old Gaia.JPG

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, amylynne said:

Also, tea store is going into the Rad's space and Cheveux salon is moving and being replaced by something similar.

Yep on both accounts. The space that is currently Cheveux is going to become kind of an upmarket women's clothing store. Talked with the owner and sounds like a nice concept that will blend in well on Cherry as it continues to grow an identity focused on great eats, drinks, and good local shopping. 

The tea shop will be interesting! Both places, as well as the great bookstore, are absolutely taking the street up a notch.

Glad to see Gaia on the move too.

Now I just wonder what is the deal with that creepy antique store that seems to never be open, nor anyone ever goes to? Add to that the tax preparer office as well as that silk screening building.

I can imagine that each location must have had tons of offers.

4 minutes ago, jas49503 said:

We put an offer on the antique shop but he is asking way too much. Not as much as the antique shop next to the Meanwhile though. Truly mind boggling what they think they are going to get for that place. 

Is that for sale!? We would LOVE to see something go in there that is much more activated than his shop which has virtually no costumers all day. We always joked that maybe we will love our bookshop over there or just add additional store hahaha. We still want ta have coffee and wine in the store but really need more space. 

• Like 1

On September 30, 2016 at 7:57 PM, GVSUChris said:

Is that for sale!? We would LOVE to see something go in there that is much more activated than his shop which has virtually no costumers all day. We always joked that maybe we will love our bookshop over there or just add additional store hahaha. We still want ta have coffee and wine in the store but really need more space. 

The owner, Don, has been there decades. He used to own a number of properties in the area, including the larger building across the street, and still rents the upstairs apartments. He curates and restores his antiques extremely well - this is no junk shop! It is definitely worth a stop in. Though, it doesn't seem to gain a following due to limited hours/steep prices/slightly cantankerous customer service. I think he is a bit miffed that all the new development, and its increased congestion, hasn't done much to improve his business. A bit grouchy, yes, but he still likes his spot. He has little incentive to move.

He does not need any walk-in business. He has collectors from all over the US and Internationally that buy his stuff. It helps to be in the Old Furniture City. Makes finding the stuff he restores a bit more easy.  When I talked to him most of his business was from California Interior designers and collectors.

• Like 2

On September 30, 2016 at 2:14 PM, GVSUChris said:

Yep on both accounts. The space that is currently Cheveux is going to become kind of an upmarket women's clothing store. Talked with the owner and sounds like a nice concept that will blend in well on Cherry as it continues to grow an identity focused on great eats, drinks, and good local shopping. 

Good, I thought she said clothing, but Carol seemed to think it was something different, so I doubted myself. More retail will be nice.