New projects in East Hills

GRGridGirl

1 hour ago, mpchicago said:

This looks like a suburban complex.  What happened here?!  I can't see this flying with HH.

Who knows. Supposedly there were a bunch of neighbor meetings and such (and where do these people live, in bunkers?)... But Orion and Concept Design both seem to be totally ignorant of what they should do here. Based on the other delightful design Concept has proposed in historic districts, is anyone surprised? [WHERE OH WHERE DID THE OUTFIT THAT DREW THE PEARL/OTTAWA TOWER GO?!?!  WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU PEOPLE?!?!?]  Their recent stock in trade is schlocky.  This looks like all the sh---y late 1960s infill they built in HH before it was designated.

New x99 deal of the week: There's this guy I know who will act as consultant to get anyone through HPC on the first pass with little or no major changes, or your money back. My His brilliant consulting services won't be cheap, but you will get repaid in full if it bombs.  Worth the time savings?  I think so.. :D   Note:  Developer agrees to pay in advance for such towers, columns, friezes, cornices, turrets, lintels, sills, arches, gables, brackets, bays, and any other beautiful architectural features my genius buddy likes, within reason.  And my guy basically get to own your architect.  And you.  And you will not tell your architect that my guy thinks your architect is a historic district doofus.

I would try to fix this one, but it's beyond redemption.. :P OMG.

Edited by x99
  • Like 2

Okay.  Just in case anyone from Orion stumbles across this... Here goes.  Historic apartment buildings showoff... Courtesy of Google Images.   See how NOT hard this is to do? 

Palmer%20Park_Hist1.jpg

valpapt1.jpg

Image result for historic apartment buildings

87-89-Atwood.jpg

Enough of that.

Notice:  No crazy weird top story, and nothing so mind-numbingly boring.  I am getting so tired of BORING even when the design is "competent".  Every last one of these random buildings has something interesting to look at, here and there.  This boring schlock has NOTHING.  It's not like this is rocket science.  So why do some people find it so hard? 

I was uncharitable when I said you could not fix this.  You could.  Not the site plan, but you could fix the buildings and save them from BORING.  

No, no.  There is a difference.  They put lintels on top of the windows.  Which do not extend past the windows into the brick, and therefore look as if they should be SMASHING the windows.  "CAD Problem", I'm sure. :rolleyes:  Oh.  And they got them dividers in them windows to make 'em look snazzy.  What relationship do top divided lite windows have to this style (whatever it is, other than modestly updated '60s pastiche)?  I don't know, and I'm sure they don't either.  Or care.  The completely identical and 100% lazy double cornices are a nice touch, too.  Barf.

• Like 2

When does this go before the HPC?  I imaging that there will be a horde of angry residents voicing their opinion there.  Living only a block from this, I'll be there if I can as the new design is an awful use of the space. At least there is parking but why they think putting it facing the street is a good idea is beyond me.  

If the the propsed development at cherry and eastern was shot down, I don't think this stands a chance. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2016 at 3:16 PM, Pattmost20 said:

They could literally turn it 90-180 degrees clockwise and it would be 100x better.

I see they took my advice, parking out front would have been a disaster.

1 hour ago, tSlater said:

It was discussed at yesterday's neighbours meeting.  I was not in attendance.

15250814_10157771445640207_8764852611685013006_o.jpg

15250856_10157771445380207_4609239771327650791_o.jpg

15252707_10157771445565207_1228308106776532935_o.jpg

15272152_10157771445705207_7763196066439057389_o.jpg

15289160_10157771445210207_2752935732401001955_o.jpg

Still looking pretty ugly though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

Can't wait to hear what the HH folks had to say.  The original plan included townhouse like structures fronting College.   

I am not sure anyone is driving the bus over in HH anymore.  East Hills and the other neighborhoods have all done a fabulous job of opposing garbage like this in their neighborhoods via their neighborhood associations.  Heritage Hill, not so much.   The first design was so much better, and supposedly what happened was the neighborhood association or some group or neighbors pushed it in this direction, which is nothing but nasty.  Normally, I would be blaming Orion for foisting ugly designs, but not this time.  

On 11/29/2016 at 9:34 AM, GRLaker said:

Still looks like an expensive hotel. With that said, it's at least better looking than most of the cheap crap being built right now.

Don't worry, as with a lot of developments we've seen lately, there is still a lot of time to make this look nothing like the renderings (which aren't great anyways in my opinion). 

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I'm seeing some chatter that something is about to happen with the old Gaia space.

Is anyone else hearing this or know something?

I too heard yesterday something was in the works and close to announcing, though I did not press for details. I do know that it isn't likely to be the original plan (Georgina's Fussion Cafe)