New projects in East Hills

GRGridGirl

My point is: there are many intangibles involved in retail. (Maybe there are security costs. Maybe the new owner will have to hire additional help. Maybe the product is obtained from thrifts, in Katrina big lots, or from hand-crafters in Appalachia. Maybe there are extra utility bills, and maybe the owner will need day care in order to open for business.) No such detail was part of this story problem. We do not know the cost of the goods sold, the average sale, how many customers-per-day will keep the place afloat, or anything else.

At some point, one needs to exclude information that's not available (organic? 1" stems? Ida Red or Delicious?) and just look at the fact that they are apples.

"But then the ship crosses the International Date Line!" -- George Carlin

• 2 months later...

I stopped by the Cherry Street Deli on Saturday and Cherry St. was hopping. Complete madness. Is this typical, or was there a special event? It was great to see!

Triple G, I saw you hanging out front of one of the stores but didn't want to give an anonymous honk-by. ;)

Joe

Typical. Scott makes a good sammich and kickass bowl of soup.

I stopped by the Cherry Street Deli on Saturday and Cherry St. was hopping. Complete madness. Is this typical, or was there a special event? It was great to see!

Triple G, I saw you hanging out front of one of the stores but didn't want to give an anonymous honk-by. ;)

Joe

Saturdays are one of the busiest days in the East Hills~Uptown area.

Joe, I was waiting outside for a table at Cherie Inn, they had a 10-table wait. Thanks for visiting East Hills!

Typical. Scott makes a good sammich and kickass bowl of soup.

Yeah, that place is one of my favorite eateries in town. When the weather gets nice again and we can sit outside with our dogs, we'll definitely be walking down there once or twice a month.

I LOVE the Heritage Hill (3 kinds of cheese) with turkey added. So much so, that it's hard to force myself to try other sandwiches when I go there, because I always want to order that one.

Man, I get hungry just thinking about it. :)

And the Cherie Inn...also one of our favorites.

Yeah, that place is one of my favorite eateries in town. When the weather gets nice again and we can sit outside with our dogs, we'll definitely be walking down there once or twice a month.

I LOVE the Heritage Hill (3 kinds of cheese) with turkey added. So much so, that it's hard to force myself to try other sandwiches when I go there, because I always want to order that one.

Man, I get hungry just thinking about it. :)

And the Cherie Inn...also one of our favorites.

I love all the shops in the East Hills area. I just went to a women's event hosted by the stores in the neighborhood. It was fabulous, go to any events they have. They're the best, especially if you're female, I got a free facial and free eyebrow wax.

As far as Cherry Deli goes...every time I've gone, the bread falls apart. I'm less than satisfied with the quality of bread and the density of it. I think they need to reconsider the bread they use for each sandwich. Sometimes a heartier sandwich is needed, a good sourdough. Anyway, I love the butternut squash bisque and it's the best.

The Wealthy Street Bakery is just a block, a five minute walk, from my house and I'd always rather drive to Cherry Deli for the bisque.

I love all the shops in the East Hills area. I just went to a women's event hosted by the stores in the neighborhood. It was fabulous, go to any events they have. They're the best, especially if you're female, I got a free facial and free eyebrow wax.

As far as Cherry Deli goes...every time I've gone, the bread falls apart. I'm less than satisfied with the quality of bread and the density of it. I think they need to reconsider the bread they use for each sandwich. Sometimes a heartier sandwich is needed, a good sourdough. Anyway, I love the butternut squash bisque and it's the best.

The Wealthy Street Bakery is just a block, a five minute walk, from my house and I'd always rather drive to Cherry Deli for the bisque.

Get their wheat or rye breads...they do a much better job holding up to the demands of Scott's sammiches.

• 3 weeks later...

Mlive had a nice article about Uptown in yesterday's Travel section.

What, no mention of the convenient auto repair facilities? ....seriously, this is nice pub that hopefully went Booth-chain wide...only thing nicer would've been if the writer had linked what's happening on the commercial side with some sense of the neighborhood's residential appeal...walkable scale...tree-lined streets...affordable family homes...maybe it was in the initial draft but got cut for space.

Each month, there seems to be a grand opening for the latest eclectic bistro, gallery, brew pub, coffee shop or clothing store.

Are they foreshadowing something here or are they just confusing gastropub with brewpub?

yeah, yeah, I know I shouldn't believe everything I read in the newspaper. But I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Edited by fotoman311

Okay, this week I heard a rumor about developments to the current farmer's market being in the works. I have done a google search about this and also searched this site without finding out much. What can anyone tell me about that and any other changes to the East Fulton Business District?

Okay, this week I heard a rumor about developments to the current farmer's market being in the works. I have done a google search about this and also searched this site without finding out much. What can anyone tell me about that and any other changes to the East Fulton Business District?

Check out this report from 2006 and this packet from the 2/19/2008 City Commission meeting.

Edited to correct URL.

Edited by Sailor

Check out this report from 2006 and this packet from the 2/19/2008 City Commission meeting.

Edited to correct URL.

Here's the thread...Farmers Market & Brikyaat Planning

There's lots of good work being done right now. The business planning and feasibility studies are key. I can't wait to see them.

We're working on some initial schemes for improvements. I'll post some images when we get a little further along.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The referenced spot where Dona was is near Fulton and Diamond in the East Fulton Business District, just east of Van's Pastry Shoppe.

Was that the name of the Mexican restaurant that was there? I don't believe this is the East Hills area.

Edited by MAU

Was that the name of the Mexican restaurant that was there? I don't believe this is the East Hills area.

I don't remember the name of the mexican restaurant. Amy and I went there once, but never went back. It seemed decent, but average and the ambience wasn't great.

I'm excited for an Indian restaurant here, especially if it's good. :)

I think that is still considered part of East Hills. The main East Hills business district is only 3-4 blocks due south at Lake/Cherry/Diamond.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=42....014505&z=16

Edited by fotoman311

I don't remember the name of the mexican restaurant. Amy and I went there once, but never went back. It seemed decent, but average and the ambience wasn't great.

I'm excited for an Indian restaurant here, especially if it's good. :)

I think that is still considered part of East Hills. The main East Hills business district is only 3-4 blocks due north at Lake/Cherry/Diamond.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=42....014505&z=16

I believe it's Uptown.

I believe it's Uptown.

Yes, it is part of Uptown, but so is the main East Hills Business district, along with Eastown, and parts of Wealthy.

According the GVSU Community Research Institute, it's right on the border of East Hills and Midtown.

East Hills: http://cridata.org/Profile_hoods_GR.aspx?HID=8

Midtown: http://cridata.org/Profile_hoods_GR.aspx?HID=20