New projects in East Hills

GRGridGirl

Coming soon: Palace of India

Was open tonight (and still feeding folks at 9:30 pm).

ETA: from Ms Lee's newsletter:

***Now Open: Palace of India at 961 E Fulton rocks the house on serving delicious Indian food. Make lunch

plans now for their buffet with seven entrees offered at $8.95. Open seven days a week from 11:30am-3pm

& 5-10pm, help welcome new business owner Jesse Dhami to the neighborhood.

Edited by Veloise

So much is going on this weekend in Uptown! The free Trolley rides around the Uptown shopping districts starts on Saturday from 10am-3pm. Wealthy Street Spring Fling, Farmer's Market, Heritage Hill garage sales, and more.....

A wonderful weekend to spend in the neighborhood! TripleG

2494975056_1fcb73e58d_b.jpg

Edited by GRGridGirl

So much is going on this weekend in Uptown! The free Trolley rides around the Uptown shopping districts starts on Saturday from 10am-3pm. Wealthy Street Spring Fling, Farmer's Market, Heritage Hill garage sales, and more.....

AND...the VINTAGE GARDEN SHOW starts TONIGHT 05/15 at 5:30 at Bluedoor on Fulton and runs through the weekend. Lots of great stuff in the store and outback!

AND....Just a bit further up town.....Holmdene, the old (and legend has it haunted) manor house hidden in woods of the Aquinas campus celebrates the 100th anniversary of its construction with the occassion with an Open House at Holmdene on Saturday, May 17 from 12 noon until 4:00pm.

Light refreshments will be served and Holmdene's first, second and basement levels will be open to self-guided tours. In addtion, a DVD on the history of the estate was developed and will be shown continuously throughout the day.

Was the trolley not running today? Hung around the East Hills business district from about 10:30 - 11:30 today with the kids and never saw it. My 3-year old was quite disappointed.

I set off with the intention of catching the trolley, but then just kept walking...and walking...and walking... I started to feel like Forest Gump after about five miles so was glad that I'd decided to take the round trip :)

http://snurl.com/29d1r

Funny how some parts of town - which I'd previously considered "a bit scary" - are really not bad places when you're on foot on a sunny day.

Saw all the Spring Fling signs, but not many customers. I checked out a couple of stores and patronized Sami's, The Meanwhile and The Sparrows. Check out the Meanwhile's new beer garden on a sunny day. Not really a "garden" but a nice quiet haven and a bit of a sun trap.

Just got off the trolley...good times!

We must have just missed it. We were often inside some of the East Hills shops, and while I tried to keep my eye on Cherry St for the trolley, it's possible we just didn't see it pass by. I also just found a map of trolley stops on the Uptown website, so we'll use that when we try it again in June.

I set off with the intention of catching the trolley, but then just kept walking...and walking...and walking... I started to feel like Forest Gump after about five miles so was glad that I'd decided to take the round trip :)

http://snurl.com/29d1r

Funny how some parts of town - which I'd previously considered "a bit scary" - are really not bad places when you're on foot on a sunny day.

Saw all the Spring Fling signs, but not many customers. I checked out a couple of stores and patronized Sami's, The Meanwhile and The Sparrows. Check out the Meanwhile's new beer garden on a sunny day. Not really a "garden" but a nice quiet haven and a bit of a sun trap.

When I was in Literary Life around 1:30, there were more people in there than I'd ever seen before. Of course, there were still only a half a dozen. That store's pretty great though. I recommend taking a browse.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know what is going on cobblestone in the east hills center? It seems like one week there is a sign up stating they are moving and the building is for sale and the next week it is down. I think the sign has gone up and down several times in the last few months.

• 2 months later...

Here is the information for the 2008 Uptown Holiday Shop Hop. This is the first year all four business districts in Uptown are hosting this event on the same night.

Local businesses in the four shopping districts of East Fulton , East Hills, Eastown, and Wealthy Street will offer "Shop Hoppers'" in-store promotions to celebrate the holiday season and to thank the local community for their continued support. The Shop Hop promotes the "Local First" neighborhood shopping experience, by helping bridge the gap between retail businesses, their customers, and the local community.

The four business associations in Uptown are collaborating on this event with in-store promotions, holiday carolers, and by offering free Trolley rides for Shop Hoppers' to add to the festive experience. The Trolley will loop all four districts between 4-9pm. A new holiday tradition begins this year with the first annual tree lighting ceremony in front of ICCF at 920 Cherry SE in the East Hills business district.

The Uptown District on Grand Rapids' eastside consists of the East Fulton, East Hills, Eastown, & Wealthy Street business districts and their surrounding neighborhoods. Uptown is the "Greenest" district in the city and holds the highest retail occupancy rates in all of Grand Rapids urban business districts.

We hope you can join in on the fun! ~Rachel Lee

Awesome. We will be there on Thursday, December 4th! I've been to this the past three years and it's always been a good time. Will you have the horse carriage back this year? We really enjoyed a carriage ride in the snow in past years.

Edited by fotoman311

Is this going to be up on the Uptown website? The info here: http://www.uptowngr.org/ is from 2007. Is there another website that is current? I'd like to post the URL on other forums.

Here ya go...nice piece about shopping local, with details on the shop hop.

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/features/shop8107.aspx

Um, more live music besides Dickens vocalists.

Edited by Veloise

• 2 weeks later...

The Shop Hop tonight is going to be a great event. I hope to see Planeteer's shop hopping around!

All of us in Uptown are looking forward to seeing you and your friends at the Shop Hop tonight. The event runs from 4-9pm with three trolleys looping the area all night. Trolley rides are free! The tree lighting ceremony will be at 7pm in front of ICCF, 920 Cherry SE.

The Shop Hop tonight is going to be a great event. I hope to see Planeteer's shop hopping around!

All of us in Uptown are looking forward to seeing you and your friends at the Shop Hop tonight. The event runs from 4-9pm with three trolleys looping the area all night. Trolley rides are free! The tree lighting ceremony will be at 7pm in front of ICCF, 920 Cherry SE.

We'll be there! Do you know if East Hills is going to have the horse carriage? If so, I hope this beautiful snow keeps up. There's nothing like riding around in a carriage huddled under a warm blanket while the snow falls and people are out walking around everywhere. So fun!

Best wishes to you and all the merchants for a great turnout tonight. Someday they'll erect a statue of you, GRGridGirl.

Wowie. Cold temps, with big puffy flakes drifting down. A new antique & collectable place on Fulton opened tonight (it was a clothing store last year). When I motored through at 5:30 there were already dozens of folks on Fulton. The band had a cheering section following us around. (I walked down to the citadel for our 6:30 meet-up, and many folks noticed my accoutrement and got excited about the forthcoming music.)

My band buddies wimped out early (ya gotta wear technical fabrics, in layers, if you're outdoors when it's 19 degrees!) so I got on the trolley (packed) and rode it to Wealthy St Bakery (never been inside before), Art of the Table (ditto), then walked to Phil's collectables (guess what), that funky garden and home store located on Wealthy at Charles, I forget its name (again), and Literary Life (one more time).

News flash: I hate working out in the Cascade hinterland.

Anyway, every retailer had only minimal floor space for any more customers. Folks were buying. I want to know where they all came from, and at LL noticed that they had a guest book out, collecting names and e-mail addresses. Someone ought to send the signers a link to a survey asking ZIP code, how they found out about the event, how many stores they visited (checkbox list?) how much they spent, how many hours out there, and maybe more questions that don't leap immediately to mind.

I especially liked the candy cane trolley stops (4" PVC pipe, a straight run and a curved top, with a red spiral stripe). There are two SA bellringers who live in an upstairs unit on Fulton (near the health food store) and all that was needed to brighten Wealthy was another kettle or two. (Next year the new condos/retail will be on line.) Could have used another trolley bus; they all seemed to be packed. Guess they stopped running at 9 pm, so I walked home (and played "Winter Wonderland" a couple of times).

And maybe add another evening of this for next year. I did not get to Easttown or the Center of the Universe area...granted I was standing on Fulton squinting at a small piece of music for an hour, but still...there wasn't time to hit everything. Maybe a Thursday one week and a Weds the next.

Edited by Veloise

We had a great time last night and were very happy to see so many other people out enjoying the events. The snow was really beautiful!

What happened with the tree lighting? We walked by around 8 and the tree was there and the lights were on it, but it was not lit.

• 3 months later...