New projects in East Hills

GRGridGirl

This is great news. Not a Sushi fan either but I love Hibachi! Pretty impressive that someone said this would get done and within days, it was announced. If I make a prediction will it come true? :)

Joe

Be careful who you give credit to. I think "someone" had inside information from his wife, who runs her business out of East Hills. :)

Yeah, the East Hills Business people were talking about it - I guess it went before the Historical Commission last night. Joe, you can predict a bunch of stuff that hopefully can come true, though! =)

Looks like it will go in front of the bean bag area...they never really used that lot, just the strip in the back. Vivant's patio will fell a little different.

Hey, I like sushi. Great news to see that the neighborhood cuisine is diversifying.

They describe themselves as "fine dining, but not in a pretentious way..." I wonder if that means the new building's design will look modern and trendy, in contrast to everything else around it, or will they try to match the feel of the surrounding buildings? Has anyone seen what the Okemos location looks like?

Hey, I like sushi. Great news to see that the neighborhood cuisine is diversifying.

They describe themselves as "fine dining, but not in a pretentious way..." I wonder if that means the new building's design will look modern and trendy, in contrast to everything else around it, or will they try to match the feel of the surrounding buildings? Has anyone seen what the Okemos location looks like?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Hibachi+okemos&hl=en&ll=42.722567,-84.430254&spn=0.00867,0.012875&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Hibachi&hnear=0x8822dd14d4e4ee19:0x86aee1550bb3b750,Okemos,+MI&cid=0,0,3382597161007891224&t=m&z=16&vpsrc=0&layer=c&cbll=42.722524,-84.429989&panoid=hr_Vyplz54Ku3XhnfRqIpw&cbp=12,249.94,,1,2.24

Grand River strip mall stylin'. Saving grace: close to this establishment.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Hibachi+okemos&hl=en&ll=42.722567,-84.430254&spn=0.00867,0.012875&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Hibachi&hnear=0x8822dd14d4e4ee19:0x86aee1550bb3b750,Okemos,+MI&cid=0,0,3382597161007891224&t=m&z=16&vpsrc=0&layer=c&cbll=42.722524,-84.429989&panoid=hr_Vyplz54Ku3XhnfRqIpw&cbp=12,249.94,,1,2.24

Edited by Veloise

Pink Blvd., according to the sign in the window, is officially closing. Not that I'm shocked. Clothes were very expensive.

Maybe a place like E. Hills can use a discount chain, like a mini GAP? I know it's total 28th street, but it may sever as an anchor for the other shops to play off of instead of always losing stores after a year or so?

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure where to put this, but I was looking over my GRBJ today and in the article about the schools being turned into apartments it also talked about Brookstone Capital and their new projects DT. It slipped in conversion of a "former" church at 834 Lake Drive into apartments. That's Bethel Pentecostal - I knew it was on the market but didn't hear about this. Anyone know more - did I miss something?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm amazed I missed the news that John Wheeler wasn't with Rockford Construction anymore.

Good to see more infill!.

Joe

The other half of what I heard about is now public...along with the Sushi place it's going to be a three story office/retail building between Grove and Vivant in the Vivant parking lot.

http://www.mlive.com...r_may_move.html

• 1 month later...

It looks like the land for the new Sushi Restaurant is being prepared for construction work. All of the wood chips are gone and there is some boundary tape up plus Port A Potty.

I almost wish it was going in across the street as that space seemed really good for events and activities that the brewery had put on over the past few weeks.

The other half of what I heard about is now public...along with the Sushi place it's going to be a three story office/retail building between Grove and Vivant in the Vivant parking lot.

http://www.mlive.com...r_may_move.html

Am I reading this correctly that Vivant's parking lot will go away and a building will go up in its place? That's a substantial loss of parking, surprised that's moving ahead.

Don't jump on me. I'm not arguing necessarily, but you'd think the other businesses would want there to be some parking in the area and that seems like a nice, newly surfaced lot prime for use by visitors and brewery customers.

Has there been any movement on this?

Am I reading this correctly that Vivant's parking lot will go away and a building will go up in its place? That's a substantial loss of parking, surprised that's moving ahead.

Don't jump on me. I'm not arguing necessarily, but you'd think the other businesses would want there to be some parking in the area and that seems like a nice, newly surfaced lot prime for use by visitors and brewery customers.

Has there been any movement on this?

Parking in the area has never been a major issue as many people simply use the lot around the ICCF which is empty after 5pm or the lot across from Gaia which is unsued most of the time outside of weekend brunch. On top of that, we have lots of on-street paking that is free and never packed outside the evenings. Most folks are great about walking as the area is so nice to wander through. All of the businesses in the area seem to love the pedestrain traffic.

So the Brewery losing a dozen or so spaces wont even be noticed, and the in-fill will be most welcome.