New projects in East Hills

GRGridGirl

There's been a sign up for quite a while...there was another one that just said "Available" but after about a month they changed it to "Approved Site for Sale".  I'm pretty sure it was up before I moved (July).  I wondered when I saw Orion opening an office DT if that building plan was dead.  

There's been a sign up for quite a while...there was another one that just said "Available" but after about a month they changed it to "Approved Site for Sale".  I'm pretty sure it was up before I moved (July).  I wondered when I saw Orion opening an office DT if that building plan was dead.  

Wonder how much they want for it. Can't find a listing anywhere, even on their site. All of my search functions are fail today.

Mangiamo appears to have some sort of construction project starting on the SW corner of their "front yard". Right now it just looks like ring(?) of earth has been dug up with some metal rods jutting from the ground around it.

If it is anything, I'm guessing they are creating an outdoor pavilion. 

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2013/12/why_stop_work_order_was_issued.html#incart_river_default

Mlive alert!

Installation of an outdoor patio at Mangiamo! has been put on hold pending a hearing before the city’s Board of Zoning Appeals....

So yes, it looks like an outdoor patio was what was going here until busybodies, I guess, had a collective meltdown, engaging in the usual NIMBY exaggerations of noise, debauchery, traffic, violence, death and plague.

Nevermind that this isnt some 28th street nudie bar, somehow having some paved area so that they dont have to keep replacing trampled on grass or people slipping when the ground gets wet will result in the death of innocence on a street nearby that isnt anywhere near the area I saw being worked on a few weeks ago.

Here is the money quote from the comments:

I don't think there is any question that a new patio will make their events more intense than before. And that is bad new for the neighbors on Paddock. This is a residential street with children. The patio will be 20-30 feet from their houses.

Stopping work so that the city can review this is the right thing to do. Why would Gilmore think that he could do this without consulting the city or neighbors? Its not very neighborly of him and it speaks volumes on how potential problems would be resolved. This is a community and the neighbors - who will be very much affected - should have a voice in this.

So to sum up: NIMBY's kids are apparently idiots. How dare you endanger them by putting a paved square on your lawn, that sits behind a high metal fence with spikes, to serve a restaurant that has hosted outdoor parties and events FOR YEARS. 

Like what will happen to these sensitive little tykes? That they might see people enjoying life for once?

btw, this isnt anywhere near 20ft from anyone's house. the Center of the Universe building is closer to homes than this. the other homes sit across Lake Drive.

The idea that these guys had to "consult" some power-trippy NIMBY's to do a yard project is simply beyond stupid.

Mangiamo is fast becoming a center of social life in the uptown area. They hosts a number of events both private and for the public. No one has ever reported some sort of issue with noise, traffic, or parking. People for the most part seem to really enjoy the venue, and red tape like this is so unnecessary. I hope the city quickly moves off of this so these people can get to work.

• Like 1

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2013/12/why_stop_work_order_was_issued.html#incart_river_default

Mlive alert!

So yes, it looks like an outdoor patio was what was going here until busybodies, I guess, had a collective meltdown, engaging in the usual NIMBY exaggerations of noise, debauchery, traffic, violence, death and plague.

Nevermind that this isnt some 28th street nudie bar, somehow having some paved area so that they dont have to keep replacing trampled on grass or people slipping when the ground gets wet will result in the death of innocence on a street nearby that isnt anywhere near the area I saw being worked on a few weeks ago.

So to sum up: NIMBY's kids are apparently idiots. How dare you endanger them by putting a paved square on your lawn, that sits behind a high metal fence with spikes, to serve a restaurant that has hosted outdoor parties and events FOR YEARS. 

Like what will happen to these sensitive little tykes? That they might see people enjoying life for once?

btw, this isnt anywhere near 20ft from anyone's house. the Center of the Universe building is closer to homes than this. the other homes sit across Lake Drive.

The idea that these guys had to "consult" some power-trippy NIMBY's to do a yard project is simply beyond stupid.

Mangiamo is fast becoming a center of social life in the uptown area. They hosts a number of events both private and for the public. No one has ever reported some sort of issue with noise, traffic, or parking. People for the most part seem to really enjoy the venue, and red tape like this is so unnecessary. I hope the city quickly moves off of this so these people can get to work.

There's nothing in that article that states that the nearby residents are against the paved brick patio. But I think in this case, as Suzanne is saying, they should have an opportunity to review the project (which is clearly not within the existing use). Any business in Grand Rapids that wants to even expand a parking lot, or tear down a building to create a parking lot, has to do the same. Not sure why this would be different.

There's nothing in that article that states that the nearby residents are against the paved brick patio. But I think in this case, as Suzanne is saying, they should have an opportunity to review the project (which is clearly not within the existing use). Any business in Grand Rapids that wants to even expand a parking lot, or tear down a building to create a parking lot, has to do the same. Not sure why this would be different.

I guess we should all be thankful that the city is on the ball to make sure this wont destroy us. Amazingly the city practically lets building get demolished for parking lots with little real opposition. But a brick patio? Well you better hold off on that, mister. There some "potential intensity" that may develop. You may ruin the historical integrity of the area!

It's a silly waste of the city's time. Red tape for the sake of it.

I guess we should all be thankful that the city is on the ball to make sure this wont destroy us. Amazingly the city practically lets building get demolished for parking lots with little real opposition. But a brick patio? Well you better hold off on that, mister. There some "potential intensity" that may develop. You may ruin the historical integrity of the area!

It's a silly waste of the city's time. Red tape for the sake of it.

So is making a big deal out of something that isn't a big deal, a big deal? :)

. . . Mangiamo is fast becoming a center of social life in the uptown area. They hosts a number of events both private and for the public. No one has ever reported some sort of issue with noise, traffic, or parking. People for the most part seem to really enjoy the venue, and red tape like this is so unnecessary. I hope the city quickly moves off of this so these people can get to work.

Actually a number of years ago when it was still Gibson's, Gilmore held a few outdoor concerts in the same area of the property.  They were pretty mild as concerts go and relatively small but there were enough complaints from the neighbors that they were not allowed to continue.  Back in 2002 I saw Patti Griffin there and then later Michelle Shocked.  It was the Shocked concert that put an end to the concerts.  I think maybe this history is why the city is being a bit sensitive about it.

Edited by walker

Mlive alert!

Urbanist, they're doing amazing things with blood pressure meds these days.  ;)

But really, this is the second time now:  Why are you so stressed out over MLive commenters?  You know better than to take them seriously.

Actually a number of years ago when it was still Gibson's, Gilmore held a few outdoor concerts in the same area of the property.  They were pretty mild as concerts go and relatively small but there were enough complaints from the neighbors that they were not allowed to continue.  Back in 2002 I saw Patti Griffin there and then later Michelle Shocked.  It was the Shocked concert that put an end to the concerts.  I think maybe this history is why the city is being a bit sensitive about it.

I've heard through the grapevine too that a number of events they have there, like the Paws for a Cause event, is not a favorite of the neighbors due to the spillover of cars. If everyone walked their dogs there, it would probably be a different story. But most people attending come in from EGR and the outer burbs.

It's a city, businesses and homeowners have to try and live together in harmony. That includes businesses alerting the neighbors when they're going to do a big project to attract more/bigger events. .

Let's not all pull the NIMBY card when someone asks a business to actually follow zoning laws. :)

I've heard through the grapevine too that a number of events they have there, like the Paws for a Cause event, is not a favorite of the neighbors due to the spillover of cars. If everyone walked their dogs there, it would probably be a different story. But most people attending come in from EGR and the outer burbs.

It's a city, businesses and homeowners have to try and live together in harmony. That includes businesses alerting the neighbors when they're going to do a big project to attract more/bigger events. .

Let's not all pull the NIMBY card when someone asks a business to actually follow zoning laws. :)

I loved living across the street from Mangiamo - I loved watching the parties, weddings, etc.  Even the Blocktail Party was fun even though there were cars all over my street due to it.  My kids loved watching the "Dog Party" every year.  However, I liked living in the city because it the busy-ness and energy.  Some neighbors preferred quiet (but you live in the city, so.....)  =)  Hope it's just a technicality and they can keep building!

Urbanist, they're doing amazing things with blood pressure meds these days.  ;)

But really, this is the second time now:  Why are you so stressed out over MLive commenters?  You know better than to take them seriously.

Oooooh nothing gets me going like this stuff, that's for sure.

I usually hate going to Mlive, but they sometimes are the only ones covering this stuff.

I tell myself "dont look at he comments". And then I go and do it!

And then I'm blown away by the sheer loons from both sides.

One side the clueless suburbanites that want GR to look like some 28th street wasteland. Always complaining about the lack of parking right next to their destination. They see GR as a cesspool to be used as an amusement park for occasional trips to grace us with their presence. I also toss the NIMBYS and all of their cliched speeches of doom in there as well. Those people sound like parrots on a good day.

On the other are these people that while on the surface they come across as urbanists, they are these social engineering control freaks that want to use urbanism as a way to push political agendas and ideologies. People that hate cars and think that everyone should be on a bike or on a bus, or that GR is so terrible because were aren't like Copenhagen, and even some weird post on Reddit about tearing down the highway that was just rebuilt. People way to high on themselves sometimes.

Most of the time I take a deep breath. Then there are those times where I'm like "reeeeeally? That's what you thought made sense?".

I will definitely try harder :good:

The OKB looks great.  From PPWIII on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/18412933@N07/10002878034/in/pool-grandrapidsmi

Does anyone know who owns this building now?  It's an awesome location for just about anything.

Believe it or not Larry Woods was responsible for adding the windows back with the hopes of leasing out this space.  Go Larry!

Property owner Larry Woods is investing in his space by updating the facade to his building located in the East Hills Business District and Fairmount Square Historic District for a potential new retail tenant. The cinder block was removed from both sides of the building and replaced with new storefront windows. The windows create a transparent storefront, adding vibrancy to the East Hills Business District. Fun fact... Big Mac from J&D Masonry the contractor working on removing the cinder block from the building is the same contractor that installed the cinder block over fifteen years ago. 

http://www.easthillscouncil.org/news/construction-boom-east-hills

And then I'm blown away by the sheer loons from both sides.

One side the clueless suburbanites that want GR to look like some 28th street wasteland. Always complaining about the lack of parking right next to their destination. They see GR as a cesspool to be used as an amusement park for occasional trips to grace us with their presence. I also toss the NIMBYS and all of their cliched speeches of doom in there as well. Those people sound like parrots on a good day.

On the other are these people that while on the surface they come across as urbanists, they are these social engineering control freaks that want to use urbanism as a way to push political agendas and ideologies. People that hate cars and think that everyone should be on a bike or on a bus, or that GR is so terrible because were aren't like Copenhagen, and even some weird post on Reddit about tearing down the highway that was just rebuilt. People way to high on themselves sometimes.

Most of the time I take a deep breath. Then there are those times where I'm like "reeeeeally? That's what you thought made sense?".

You are no different with your casting of judgement. You have your opinion that all these people suck, and they have their opinion of what they desire. Rarely do I see such blatant hypocrisy, so hopefully I just missed your attempt at sarcasm. 

Not a lot of specifics, but this is in the latest East Hills Council of Neighbors news blast:

http://easthillscouncil.org/news/east-hills-neighborhood-news-seasons-greetings-new-projects

"921 Cherry SE: The developer will present a proposed plan for new construction of a mixed-use (storefront retail & residential above) four-level building on the southern section of the parking lot between Grove and Brewery Vivant. This property is located in the Fairmount Square Historic District and will need approval from the Historic Preservation Commission."

Probably will see more coming out about this project soonish.

I'm really excited about 921 Cherry. For them to take out their little bit of parking for a multi-story building is amazing. It will really fill out that part of the street. The only space left that could be developed into something are a couple of buildings across the street from the brewery and the J&H building.

You are no different with your casting of judgement. You have your opinion that all these people suck, and they have their opinion of what they desire. Rarely do I see such blatant hypocrisy, so hopefully I just missed your attempt at sarcasm. 

Yeah, I did cast a judgement. Thank goodness that's still legal, it would be hard to talk about anything if it wasn't.

Aaaaaaand frankly, I haven't changed my opinion on any of these people. Neither side couldn't design a city if their lives dependent on it without trying to screw each other in the name of their narrow-minded conception of what a city is. I'm no fan of suburban sprawl pushers and NIMBY-ism without logic. I also cant stand nanny state do-gooder psudo-urbanists that only live to control people and push agendas that have nothing to do with the built environment.

The owners of the surrounding restaurants can't be happy about this.  That lot is packed almost all the time considering it feeds Grove, Brewery Vivant, and Green Well to name a few.

Oh well, people will just park elsewhere, like in the surrounding neighborhoods.  So long as the residents don't mind then no biggy.

The owners of the surrounding restaurants can't be happy about this.  That lot is packed almost all the time considering it feeds Grove, Brewery Vivant, and Green Well to name a few.

Oh well, people will just park elsewhere, like in the surrounding neighborhoods.  So long as the residents don't mind then no biggy.

I think that's why the neighborhood talked about a small ramp behind Green Well. Not sure how far that discussion got. I guess it would have the same feel as the Gaslight Village one.

A building on the southern section of the parking lot was approved in 2010 before the renovation of Vivant.

As a neighborhood, we are looking at parking programs for residents along the business districts.  

The only solution for E. Hills for any future parking crunch will have to be a parking garage.

The ICCF building can accommodate a two-story one nicely and not be too imposing because most of it will be out of sight of the main road. It will be a tight fit.

Lafontsee Galleries has a huge lot that I cant imagine them ever using 90% of. And being well hidden by houses and trees, it would make a brilliant location for a district ramp. That is if you can get people to make the mental leap of parking and walking a short distance.

Congress Elementary has a modest lot that maybe a 2-story ramp could be finagled into that space. It's city-owned land so it doesn't involve a private sale.

• 4 weeks later...

Not a lot of specifics, but this is in the latest East Hills Council of Neighbors news blast:

http://easthillscouncil.org/news/east-hills-neighborhood-news-seasons-greetings-new-projects

"921 Cherry SE: The developer will present a proposed plan for new construction of a mixed-use (storefront retail & residential above) four-level building on the southern section of the parking lot between Grove and Brewery Vivant. This property is located in the Fairmount Square Historic District and will need approval from the Historic Preservation Commission."

Probably will see more coming out about this project soonish.

They flashed the rendering on WZZM tonight. Wow, tall project for that block. 4 stories and very modern looking. It will be a head-turner. Looked great!

I would assume it will be posted here at some point:

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/278338/14/Brewery-Vivant-parking-lot-could-become-condos

That thing looks tall! That's the part I love. And it looks like it brings some activity to the side facing Lake Dr.

What I dont like is that the front (back?) looks terrible. It has no street presence. It's almost looks like a huge brick spire. No balconies. No windows that look like they even open. That's the side you would want to look the best!

I usually dont subscribe to the idea that every new building needs to blend in to everything around it. But this? Work on that design, please!