New projects in East Hills

GRGridGirl

That thing looks tall! That's the part I love. And it looks like it brings some activity to the side facing Lake Dr.

What I dont like is that the front (back?) looks terrible. It has no street presence. It's almost looks like a huge brick spire. No balconies. No windows that look like they even open. That's the side you would want to look the best!

I usually dont subscribe to the idea that every new building needs to blend in to everything around it. But this? Work on that design, please!

Which plans are you looking at?

The one they showed (and talked about) on WZZM has ground floor retail.

11946558013_0a4fb0e318_o.jpg

11946713694_d47cd6b0f4_o.jpg

That's the one I tried to squint at.

It just looked like it was just one big window. I guess that part to the right looks like it might be an entrance. If it is, it is drawn for people much taller than at the Grove next door.  :P

Superhuman dutch people. Have you seen how tall people are around here? :)

All white cars and all white people again. I'm sensing a New World Order trend...

So who can get us the non-messed up pretty renderings?

Working on it.

• Like 1

Based on the site plan, this is going to be a very compact development. Far more than I thought. But it also shows that the decimation of parking spaces that comes up with this project is minimum.

It also eliminates a curb cut, and diverts auto traffic to the back of the Brewery. This may greatly lessen traffic snarls on busy nights on Cherry.

I would love to have seen the building stretch to Lake Drive, bringing some life to that street, but that is likely asking too much.

Based on the site plan, this is going to be a very compact development. Far more than I thought. But it also shows that the decimation of parking spaces that comes up with this project is minimum.

It also eliminates a curb cut, and diverts auto traffic to the back of the Brewery. This may greatly lessen traffic snarls on busy nights on Cherry.

I would love to have seen the building stretch to Lake Drive, bringing some life to that street, but that is likely asking too much.

Agreed, I assumed it went from Cherry to Lake.  Thats a bummer.  It'll still be nice for Cherry but Lake is really a "back of house" corridor now.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, now that's more like it! Thank goodness they didnt try to do some silly faux-vintage look. It's modern, but not too crazy. If they make it with the same look as Maru down the street, it will look real nice. 

Looking further down the newsletter -  Jonny B'z is planning on moving to the old gas station at 701 Wealthy?  That would be the second hot dog place on Wealthy in an old gas station.  I kind of like Jonny B'z right where they are now. 

Edited by walker

Looking further down the newsletter -  Jonny B'z is planning on moving to the old gas station at 701 Wealthy?  That would by the second hot dog place on Wealthy in an old gas station.  I kind of like Jonny B'z right where they are now. 

I think it's a great move, because the types of businesses that could use the type of space in that old gas station are more limited than the types that can use Jonny B'z current space.  And, much like Donkey across the street, during the warm seasons the patio and garage doors will add extra seating and provide a nice open feeling.

Also, where is the first hot dog place on Wealthy in an old gas station?  I can't come up with one.

• Like 1

Looking further down the newsletter -  Jonny B'z is planning on moving to the old gas station at 701 Wealthy?  That would be the second hot dog place on Wealthy in an old gas station.  I kind of like Jonny B'z right where they are now. 

I'm not a fan of where Jonny B'z is now. It seems really loud/echo-ey in there. I have the same issue with Rowster though, too friggin loud. Guess I'm getting old. :)

I'm going to post these, unless GRGridGirl has an issue with it. ;) It's cool but it kind of reminds me of those "Hot dog place in an old diner" concepts. Like Rosie's Diner. But since it's sort of organic to the original use of the building, it's alright.

12236150183_11e42b0961_z.jpg

12236382724_2033cf6768_z.jpg

And 921 Cherry. I hate the term "game changer" but this is kind of a game changer for GR. There's not really a multi-story modern designed project like this in any of the neighborhoods. It's kind of what I would consider the first "Lincoln Park/Bucktown" infill project I can think of.

Plus it basically "completes the street" on that side, with an uninterrupted building fabric from Diamond almost to Cherry.

12236538896_bc101bc1d4_o.jpg

12235957075_617ac4bced_z.jpg

12235957435_2c95d0c437_z.jpg

12236139723_db66af7384_z.jpg

Not too thrilled with the setback from the street look of the new Johnny's.

The existing building I assume is protected, which is fine. And they do add to it, at least a little. However they aren't bringing anything to the street. That huge slab of nothing that is there now is still going to be there as a front parking lot. One of the things I liked about their current location is being able to sit by a window and look out at the street activity. Here, a couple of SUVs and you will have a lovely view of their front grills only. At that point why not just go to McDonalds?

It would have been great if at least a small corner of the lot by the street had some sort of outdoor seating deck/patio for the warmer months, or some sort of landscaping.

Historical district + old service station rehab = less than wonderful results too often. I wish that they would be more willing to let them be demolished if they seriously have no historical value.

Not too thrilled with the setback from the street look of the new Johnny's.

The existing building I assume is protected, which is fine. And they do add to it, at least a little. However they aren't bringing anything to the street. That huge slab of nothing that is there now is still going to be there as a front parking lot. One of the things I liked about their current location is being able to sit by a window and look out at the street activity. Here, a couple of SUVs and you will have a lovely view of their front grills only. At that point why not just go to McDonalds?

It would have been great if at least a small corner of the lot by the street had some sort of outdoor seating deck/patio for the warmer months, or some sort of landscaping.

Historical district + old service station rehab = less than wonderful results too often. I wish that they would be more willing to let them be demolished if they seriously have no historical value.

Yeah, it would've been cooler if they had done this. Bring the addition on the front out to the street, move the parking to the sidestreet side (if they absolutely feel they have to do it), put the patio off the sliding garage doors in the alcove (to provide some intimacy). Very few people are going to sit out in that outdoor seating area in the middle of a parking lot.

12240057705_dc6d66d5cc_c.jpg

• Like 1

GRDadof3: As long as you give credit to the source for the photos you post, I don't mind you reposting them here or there.  :thumbsup:

In regards to this building... I don't believe an addition on the Wealthy Street side would be approved by HPC, because a new addition to a historic building should preserve the building's historic character. Since Wealthy Street is considered the higher public right of way, an addition is more appropriate to the side or the rear, and based on the placement of this building, a rear addition is not an option. 

Another option would be to just eliminate 3 parking spaces in front of the original building and the eastern curb-cut, and expand the patio to the street. This would keep the historic nature of the building while making a more pedestrian-friendly design.

In doing so, they could eliminate the eastern curb-cut on Wealthy, which would actually add one more on-street parking space (and maybe two) since the western driveway sits in the sight-triangle for the intersection, and you couldn't park a car there anyway.

Edited by Jippy

GRDadof3: As long as you give credit to the source for the photos you post, I don't mind you reposting them here or there.  :thumbsup:

In regards to this building... I don't believe an addition on the Wealthy Street side would be approved by HPC, because a new addition to a historic building should preserve the building's historic character. Since Wealthy Street is considered the higher public right of way, an addition is more appropriate to the side or the rear, and based on the placement of this building, a rear addition is not an option.

OK. Since they have the architects name all over them, I think they're covered. ;)

• 3 months later...

Some new action on East Fulton!

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/05/fulton_group_plans_to_convert.html#incart_river_default

"The Fulton Group plans to convert vacant office building into market rate apartments"

GRAND RAPIDS, MI – A vacant office building along East Fulton Street will be converted into eight market rate apartments and offices for the building’s owner, The Fulton Group.

Josh Smith, founder and partner of The Fulton Group, said the former Alpha Women’s Center at 1055 E. Fulton will be converted into apartments on the first and second floor while the lower “garden” level will be used as offices.

There are a couple of buildings by the Farmer's market that are long overdue for a renovation. It will help connect to two ends of E. Fulton once this, and those buildings are all redone.

• 2 weeks later...

There title is a bit awkward because two of the buildings were already sold and are being renovated. The surprise is something about their "yellow building" being renovated with, what I think he said, an apartment building being build around it.

"Project Rehab buildings for sale"

http://woodtv.com/2014/05/30/project-rehab-buildings-for-sale/