New projects in East Hills

GRGridGirl

• 1 month later...

I saw the agenda posted on Facebook for the East Hills Council meeting, and found a few things really interesting:

East Hills Council of Neighbors Board of Directors Meeting Tonight at 6:45pm on 3/2 at 131 Eastern Ave SE.
a) Welcome & Introductions
b) Public Comment
c) 750 Cherry & 201 Eastern SE
d) Committee Reports
e) Staff Report
1. Wealthy & Charles Parking Lot
2. 1034 Wealthy Street SE: Atomic Objec
t
3. Go East Hills!
4. Sidewalk Complaints

I saw the agenda posted on Facebook for the East Hills Council meeting, and found a few things really interesting:

East Hills Council of Neighbors Board of Directors Meeting Tonight at 6:45pm on 3/2 at 131 Eastern Ave SE.

a) Welcome & Introductions

b) Public Comment

c) 750 Cherry & 201 Eastern SE

d) Committee Reports

e) Staff Report

1. Wealthy & Charles Parking Lot

2. 1034 Wealthy Street SE: Atomic Object

3. Go East Hills!

4. Sidewalk Complaints

c) I had heard someone affiliated with Triangle Construction was taking up this project (that was Cherry Street Capital but was denied by HPC)

1) Wasn't there talk of expanding this lot onto the parcel next door?

c) Unless something very major has changed in the last few weeks, Cherry Street Capital is still very much involved in this project.  Perhaps Triangle is their CM and/or GC?  Cherry Street is submitting for the April HPC meeting for approval.  There was a committee requested by HPC, led by Cherry Street, made up of neighbors and representatives of EHCN and EHBA that has been (and continues) to meet regularly to guide the redesign process.  From what I've heard, the meetings have been productive and based on the new designs shared at the EHCN meeting tonight, the project is much more in the character of the neighborhood.

• Like 1

c) Unless something very major has changed in the last few weeks, Cherry Street Capital is still very much involved in this project.  Perhaps Triangle is their CM and/or GC?  Cherry Street is submitting for the April HPC meeting for approval.  There was a committee requested by HPC, led by Cherry Street, made up of neighbors and representatives of EHCN and EHBA that has been (and continues) to meet regularly to guide the redesign process.  From what I've heard, the meetings have been productive and based on the new designs shared at the EHCN meeting tonight, the project is much more in the character of the neighborhood.

Thanks for the correction. I thought they had moved on.

• 2 weeks later...

Cherry Street Capital will present new plans for 750 & 225 to the HPC on April 1st.  They include 32 units between 2 buildings, in lieu of the 5 smaller buildings previously proposed for the SW corner of Cherry and Eastern.  As mandated, the site plan still shows the vintage structure between the two buildings. 

http://www.easthillscouncil.org/news/750-cherry-se-225-eastern-ave-se-hpc-packet

No word on the old Project Rehab building opposite this site.  Can anyone dig up the new renderings of the proposed buildings? 

Edited by mpchicago

Totally forgot to report a couple of days ago (enjoying the nice weather too much) that the empty storefront on Cherry, formally occupied by the Goodwill boutique store, looks like it will be a men's barbershop. The interior looks really "gentleman-ly", the perfect kind of place that guys from the Mumford and Sons band would go to get a trim and a shave.

I didnt get too good of a look though (or a photo) because the guys were busy at work setting up, and I didnt want to be too creepy.

Cherry Street Capital will present new plans for 750 & 225 to the HPC on April 1st.  They include 32 units between 2 buildings, in lieu of the 5 smaller buildings previously proposed for the SW corner of Cherry and Eastern.  As mandated, the site plan still shows the vintage structure between the two buildings. 

http://www.easthillscouncil.org/news/750-cherry-se-225-eastern-ave-se-hpc-packet

No word on the old Project Rehab building opposite this site.  Can anyone dig up the new renderings of the proposed buildings? 

There are some in this PDF:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ptynep1t00m5br/150305_west_site_new_HPC_submittal_X.pdf?dl=0

(if you see a box asking for a password, you can just close it)

The building along Cherry looks ok enough, but I'm not thrilled with the one along Eastern. Too closed off from the street. It looks too much like the type of style found on some 30-40s era GR elementary schools. Far too "blocky" and drab especially being next to the entrance to the undergroud parking garage. Too much brick.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ptynep1t00m5br/150305_west_site_new_HPC_submittal_X.pdf?dl=0

The building along Cherry looks ok enough, but I'm not thrilled with the one along Eastern. Too closed off from the street. It looks too much like the type of style found on some 30-40s era GR elementary schools. Far too "blocky" and drab especially being next to the entrance to the undergroud parking garage. Too much brick.

Ahh, thanks.  I don't really have a problem with either of the buildings. In fact I like them both.  If one building looked 30/40's I would say it's the one on Cherry.

• Like 1

Totally forgot to report a couple of days ago (enjoying the nice weather too much) that the empty storefront on Cherry, formally occupied by the Goodwill boutique store, looks like it will be a men's barbershop. The interior looks really "gentleman-ly", the perfect kind of place that guys from the Mumford and Sons band would go to get a trim and a shave.

I didnt get too good of a look though (or a photo) because the guys were busy at work setting up, and I didnt want to be too creepy.

I believe my wife saw somewhere that this is going to be a tattoo parlor.  Can't recall the name or source at the moment.  Seems compatible with your report, though.

I'll see if I can get these all loaded up here. Give me a minute...

Here ya go. Click on the images for a hi-res version:

16854420281_55d7b7edbb_b.jpg

16235506493_6e38920623_o.jpg

16233097454_466c5239a9_o.jpg

16669324799_9440cc3f4c_o.jpg

16829600486_4a2f23cd7a_o.jpg

16667869008_004940af3a_o.jpg

16668077750_302fba1173_o.jpg

I really like the building on Eastern.  It would probably feel a bit more proper at 3 stories but it reminds me of some of the other brick tenements around the city, but with its own little character that others don't have.  There's variations in the brickwork that feel natural, not forced, creating vertical elements to help make up for the lack of height.  It has a minor cornice to help frame the walls and the wide framing around some of the windows help balance the exterior to prevent it from being a mass of brick.  It's raised up above ground level slightly for residential privacy without complete separation from the street, much like a true townhouse.

And it has balconies along the street!

I really, really like the design of this building.  A+.

Edited by tSlater

I believe my wife saw somewhere that this is going to be a tattoo parlor.  Can't recall the name or source at the moment.  Seems compatible with your report, though.

You are correct!

Sovereign Arms Tattoo Co.

https://www.facebook.com/sovereignarmstattooco

Have to admit that I didnt see this one coming.

Edited by GR_Urbanist

I really like the building on Eastern.  It would probably feel a bit more proper at 3 stories but it reminds me of some of the other brick tenements around the city, but with its own little character that others don't have.  There's variations in the brickwork that feel natural, not forced, creating vertical elements to help make up for the lack of height.  It has a minor cornice to help frame the walls and the wide framing around some of the windows help balance the exterior to prevent it from being a mass of brick.  It's raised up above ground level slightly for residential privacy without complete separation from the street, much like a true townhouse.

The balcony portion reminds me a lot of the project on Bagley across from EGR high school. Just feels like an imposing level of brickwork on the front to me, like the Bagley townhomes. Guess you can't make everyone happy.

Otherwise, well done. The house on the corner looks stunning. If they can bring it back to that look, kudos.

The balcony portion reminds me a lot of the project on Bagley across from EGR high school. Just feels like an imposing level of brickwork on the front to me, like the Bagley townhomes. Guess you can't make everyone happy.

Otherwise, well done. The house on the corner looks stunning. If they can bring it back to that look, kudos.

Okay, the columns look a little heavy, and maybe one more floor would have been nice, but I still like both proposed buildings. And yes, the house on the corner looks great. Anything can be fixed, but its going to cost some dough.

I agree.  I like the other building too, but I really like the one on Eastern.  Very Rogers Park, Chicago, but still distinct.  If anything, I wish they'd gone for an extra story or two on both.

Appears some people get tattoos of Mumford and Sons lyrics.  Maybe that's the customers they're going after:

http://gentlemenoftheroad.tumblr.com/post/1699190979/some-tattoos-i-found-with-mumford-and-sons-lyrics

There's a very specific pair of buildings the one on Eastern actually reminds me of, but I can't remember where it is.  In the meantime I've stumbled upon this which is kind of what I'm picturing but not quite.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.955955,-85.656676,3a,72.7y,248.59h,89.64t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sXPQOE5AXpzoCE7q1pqogDQ!2e0 

I've always enjoyed them for residential units, too.  That large apartment building on State St especially.  It's got retail on its sides and a courtyard in the middle opening to the front.  It looks like it must be a really great way for a building to say "Welcome home!"

Edited by tSlater

I don't think I can add a lot to this.  Dead on.  Integrated looked at similar buildings in the surrounding historical neighborhoods, and actually used them for design inspiration (at least on Eastern)!  Funny how it all works out when you do that.  I would agree that a third floor would look appropriate, particularly over the center section.  Ironically, I think it would actually help to make the building seem somewhat less massive, while still adding density.     Also agreed with GRDad that using brick walls for the porch areas is a bit heavy.  A brick screen might work better.  It looks like they are already using this element on the parking screen.  Other than on the front porches, I cannot quite see how many courses they are offsetting the alternating brick textures, or how deep the windows are inset.  They have something going on--it just isn't clear what.  Those can be make it or break it elements, and some close detail shots would help.

So far as 750 Cherry, it looks pretty good too, although rather boring.  The offset bands help break it up, but only a little.  Perhaps some work on the cornice could add some much-needed visual interest.  One fix would be if the recessed center section went all the way up.  The other way would be a more creative cornice line, such as on the large apartment building on College and Wealthy.  That building is really a model for constructing a large urban brick apartment without turning it into a boring cube.  A more elaborate cornice would also work, or some decorative stone cast elements.  But these are minor complaints.  EDIT:  The more I thought about this, the more I realized the reason this building looks rather blah really is that cornice.  It just doesn't work well.  The Italianate house has such an accomplished cornice that could--and should--have been a design reference.  I doubt it would be grounds to disapprove it, but if Integrated and Orion care about building something attractive and appropriate--which they seem too--it would be nice to see it fixed somewhat.

In general, these are good, and acceptable designs.  It isn't often I have the pleasure of saying that.  Color me pleasantly surprised.  It would be nice to see at least some ornamentation--these are basically Chicago-school forms with their artistic souls ripped out.  Even if the designs are unaccomplished by traditional standards (Google Image search for the terms "Chicago courtyard apartment" (no quotes) for the proof), they are still a far cry better than what we've been getting.  So, progress.  It's a nice change of pace to be able to praise a design with some very minor exceptions. 

Also note that the brick is not quite as it seems.  They look like perhaps Norman bricks, which are longer than common bricks.  That (or roman) bricks would have been nice and interesting to see.  But it was not to be.  It's a rendering artifact.  They are actually just squat little modular bricks.  I suspect the oddball bonding pattern is also a rendering artifact.  Roman bricks on the more Chicago-school building would have been a particularly nice touch.... Hint, hint.

Edited by x99

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. All three projects approved, with minor adjustments to the Victorian house rehabilitation plan and "no" to balconies on the proposed Cherry St buildings.

That's good news.  Some neighbor paranoia seemed to be still running a little high.  But that's sort of a shame regarding the so-called balconies.  Looking back at the proposed buildings, they didn't have renderings of those elevations, but they look like they were really balconies that were just dangling off the buildings.  [EDIT:  They were, on second glance.  Glad they got axed, and kudos to HPC for getting it right].  Still, these buildings should be a big boost to the area.  Would have been nice if they were taller and had more units.  Totally unjustifiable, but that seemed to be a real can of worms for some reason.

Edited by x99