New projects in East Hills

GRGridGirl

That's good news.  Some neighbor paranoia seemed to be still running a little high.  But that's sort of a shame regarding the so-called balconies.  Looking back at the proposed buildings, they didn't have renderings of those elevations, but they look like they were really balconies that were just dangling off the buildings.  [EDIT:  They were, on second glance.  Glad they got axed, and kudos to HPC for getting it right].  Still, these buildings should be a big boost to the area.  Would have been nice if they were taller and had more units.  Totally unjustifiable, but that seemed to be a real can of worms for some reason.

They were just small balconies on the sides, primarily inset.

17014160891_6b4d8aed04_b.jpg

• 2 months later...

The Iglesia Resurrección y Vida Central Church, almost dead center between E. Fulton and Lake Drive, at the corner of Diamond and Hermitage, is now for sale.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.960931,-85.644526,3a,75y,37.58h,101.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shCBRBGVWSwJSNs_YQP_Hzw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Not a moment too soon as it looked to be in really shabby shape.

I had said in one of the prediction threads that this place would be sold and turned into a preforming arts center. It would be excellent as a place for art showings, lectures and presentations and even movies.

church.jpg

Very excited to see what will become of this.

Edited by GR_Urbanist

I can't imagine what the bill to repaint that thing would be.  when I first saw your post, out of the corner of my eye, I thought you said that it was almost dead.  hopefully it sells fairly quickly so that it doesn't deteriorate any more and can be saved. 

• 1 month later...

Here is a current picture of a the building rehab (I call it the "Hacienda") on Eastern, near Cherry, that kind of slipped under the radar. It's been completed for a few months now, and has turned out really well. The central courtyard is especially inviting.

WP_20150815_19_08_20_Pro.thumb.jpg.5a008

They need to add that stainless steel cactus that was out front of the restaurant in Eastown. A wagon wheel, a longhorn skull, and a couple tumbleweeds.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9615985,-85.6445365,3a,75y,127.92h,83.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-OAa5VSSkoWwu0m32ROUkA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Edited by Veloise

• 2 months later...

I couldn't find an overall Eastown development thred: 

Thresholds Building proposed for 34 unit "Community Living" redevelopment

http://www.eastown.org/new-project-at-the-thresholds-building/

Joe

The history of the building is more interesting than what the link mentions in its discussion of the zoning aspects of the property.  Between approximately 1942 to sometime in the 1960's the building was the Grand Rapids Osteopathic Hospital which was the forerunner of Metropolitan Hospital or Metro Health as it's called now.  After that it was a funeral parlor for years before Thresholds moved in.  Before 1942 it was the home of the Catholic Bishop.  There might have been an odd tenant/owner or two in between the hospital and the funeral home and the funeral home and Thresholds but it has hardly ever been a single family home, at least not in recent history.   

EDIT: Going back just now, I see that there are three embedded links at the end of the first link about the proposal.  If I had bothered to read the last one I would have seen that it gave the building's history (pretty much the same as I posted.)

Edited by walker

I couldn't find an overall Eastown development thred: 

Thresholds Building proposed for 34 unit "Community Living" redevelopment

http://www.eastown.org/new-project-at-the-thresholds-building/

Joe

I've toured this project (not sure if it's the same developer). The non-profit has it so chopped it it's like a maze (or haunted house). 

Interesting that they're touting that Grand Rapids has a "1.7% rental vacancy rate, the lowest in the country" from Zillow, which has now been debunked (or at least, clarified). ;) People repeat these crap statistics so much they become gospel. 

http://www.eastown.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/For-Eastown-2.pdf

Edited by GRDadof3

Gaia FINALLY has a for sale sign in the window.

I cant imagine that someone wont jump at the chance to reopen it as some sort of restaurant especially if all of the equipment, which has sat  unused since it closed, is included.

Just for lease and the price seems rather high. Some of the equipment is left, but is extra and as far as I know not much has been improved inside. 

http://mls.carwm.com/listing/29849112/207-209-Diamond-Ave-SE-Grand-Rapids-MI-49506

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This isn't really East Hills but we don't have a Heritage Hill section. The ground floor and courtyard of Oakwood Manor are getting a makeover, with two new retail suites available. Would be a cool setting for a little cafe, or a wine and charcuterie place (aka Aperitivo II). Insert guy playing a small accordion..

22782316159_9cf90ea679_o.jpg

22854493160_1588926c90_o.jpg

22782317109_ef0bbf3317_o.jpg

Speaking of Heritage Hill, I saw plans during the Heritage Hill Home Tour of redoing the 3rd floor of the old Berkey House at Prospect & Fountain to match the rest of the house (fixing up the 60s addition) and rebuilding the original roof atop that.  I've seen scaffolding around the house lately, it makes me wonder if they're preparing to begin work (but in winter?)  Or perhaps the scaffolding is for other work.

Edited by tSlater

11 hours ago, tSlater said:

Speaking of Heritage Hill, I saw plans during the Heritage Hill Home Tour of redoing the 3rd floor of the old Berkey House at Prospect & Fountain to match the rest of the house (fixing up the 60s addition) and rebuilding the original roof atop that.  I've seen scaffolding around the house lately, it makes me wonder if they're preparing to begin work (but in winter?)  Or perhaps the scaffolding is for other work.

Apparently all the recessed windows from 70s mansard roof leak - no surprise. The owner is taking this opportunity to not just replace the windows, but to rebuild more character appropriate dormers inspired by the original roof design.

On November 20, 2015 at 12:08:11 PM, GRDadof3 said:

22782317109_ef0bbf3317_o.jpg

A cafe sounds great, but not like this! A very under-baked design - I'm surprised this image was even released.

1 hour ago, GRCentro said:

Apparently all the recessed windows from 70s mansard roof leak - no surprise. The owner is taking this opportunity to not just replace the windows, but to rebuild more character appropriate dormers inspired by the original roof design.

A cafe sounds great, but not like this! A very under-baked design - I'm surprised this image was even released.

That house originally had a massive peaked roof, which isn't coming back.  The recessed dormers are being replaced with barrel roof dormers which should blend with the rest of the house better.  Right now its an eyesore, so it should be a nice improvement.  

So far as Oakwood Manor, it's also nice to see this happening.  Hopefully it's actually something of a restaurant-style place.  Oakwood actually has a very nice lawn and some good indoor spaces that could be used.  There used to be a nice restaurant in Heritage Hill in the "Castle" now occupied by dentists.  At the moment, there is nothing, so this will be good.  Given the current ownership group's track record, I suspect they will do a very nice job with the entire building.  When it was built, this was (supposedly) one of the premier rental addresses in the entire city, with doormen, maid service, a salon, and a restaurant all on site.  Here's hoping they do some serious updates and bring it back.

1 hour ago, x99 said:

That house originally had a massive peaked roof, which isn't coming back.  The recessed dormers are being replaced with barrel roof dormers which should blend with the rest of the house better.  Right now its an eyesore, so it should be a nice improvement.  

So far as Oakwood Manor, it's also nice to see this happening.  Hopefully it's actually something of a restaurant-style place.  Oakwood actually has a very nice lawn and some good indoor spaces that could be used.  There used to be a nice restaurant in Heritage Hill in the "Castle" now occupied by dentists.  At the moment, there is nothing, so this will be good.  Given the current ownership group's track record, I suspect they will do a very nice job with the entire building.  When it was built, this was (supposedly) one of the premier rental addresses in the entire city, with doormen, maid service, a salon, and a restaurant all on site.  Here's hoping they do some serious updates and bring it back.

Read "Let's price all the undesirables right out of the market." :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Read "Let's price all the undesirables right out of the market." :rolleyes:

I don't recall saying anything like that, actually.  I don't think anyone is "undesirable" just because they don't have a lot of money.  It might mean you have to move when rents go up, but that's a boat a lot of us have been in.  For the record, Oakwood was (supposedly) built with a number of affordable units.  And they still have small studios for $600 with free parking and utilities.  Hopefully, with the zoning changes (including to outrageous lot size requirements), we will see more of those built.  What will probably end is the lack of maintenance and outrageously cheap rent on huge two and three bedroom apartments.  That pattern is being repeated all over Heritage Hill, East Hills, and Eastown, for better or worse.  The old dumps are slowly disappearing.  

17 hours ago, x99 said:

I don't recall saying anything like that, actually.  I don't think anyone is "undesirable" just because they don't have a lot of money.  It might mean you have to move when rents go up, but that's a boat a lot of us have been in.  For the record, Oakwood was (supposedly) built with a number of affordable units.  And they still have small studios for $600 with free parking and utilities.  Hopefully, with the zoning changes (including to outrageous lot size requirements), we will see more of those built.  What will probably end is the lack of maintenance and outrageously cheap rent on huge two and three bedroom apartments.  That pattern is being repeated all over Heritage Hill, East Hills, and Eastown, for better or worse.  The old dumps are slowly disappearing.  

I'm just giving you s**t because a lot of the stuff you propose would make living expenses unattainable for most.