New projects in East Hills

GRGridGirl

• 4 weeks later...

Okay I couldn't be more confused.

So for some time I have been following this whole "Georgina's" process trying to see where they'd land. At one point we thought Gaia and then recently on Wealthy where Phil's Stuff is. As some of you have probably figured out our Bookstore (Books & Mortar) is in the big old building on Cherry Street and our landlord just told us that Georgina's is signed and all set for build out in our building. This makes no sense to me as I thought they were going in on Wealthy? 

***EDIT*** apparently they will have two locations. The bar on Wealthy and the Cafe/takeout/express concept on Cherry. 

Well there you have it. Some East Hills news. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

So for some time I have been following this whole "Georgina's" process trying to see where they'd land. At one point we thought Gaia and then recently on Wealthy where Phil's Stuff is. As some of you have probably figured out our Bookstore (Books & Mortar) is in the big old building on Cherry Street and our landlord just told us that Georgina's is signed and all set for build out in our building. This makes no sense to me as I thought they were going in on Wealthy? 

***EDIT*** apparently they will have two locations. The bar on Wealthy and the Cafe/takeout/express concept on Cherry. 

Great info. Thanks Chris!

So HPC approved the Orion project in Heritage Hill as presented.  Maybe we should start calling them the Historic Destruction Commission?  Their idea of preservation lately seems to be glorified window police.  I thought they were finally starting to get on the right track, but first that giant glass tower and then this?  A stinking replaceable window that you can barely see is a capital case, while a building covered in cheap ass fiber-cement panels (or metal panels or glass panels or you name it) that smacks you in the face with its nasty and deficient design is just fine.  I just don't know.

Edited by x99
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, x99 said:

So HPC approved the Orion project in Heritage Hill as presented.  Maybe we should start calling them the Historic Destruction Commission?  Their idea of preservation lately seems to be glorified window police.  I thought they were finally starting to get on the right track, but first that giant glass tower and then this?  A stinking replaceable window that you can barely see is a capital case, while a building covered in cheap ass fiber-cement panels (or metal panels or glass panels or you name it) that smacks you in the face with its nasty and deficient design is just fine.  I just don't know.

I thought the updates to the 42 story tower were a nice step in the right direction toward giving it a historical tip of the hat. I didn't have an issue with that decision at all.

As for this building...I have seen actual historical buildings look very similar to this design. Although, I like your update a lot better. However, where they definitely went wrong (IMHO) is having parking on the side of the building. They should have extended it or made that green space with trees to ensure that no parking is visible from the street.

With that said, I'm no expert on historical preservation. I'm only trying to compare it to actual historical buildings.

Edited by GRLaker

18 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

I thought the updates to the 42 story tower were a nice step in the right direction toward giving it a historical tip of the hat. I didn't have an issue with that decision at all.

As for this building...I have seen actual historical buildings look very similar to this design. Although, I like your update a lot better. However, where they definitely went wrong (IMHO) is having parking on the side of the building. They should have extended it or made that green space with trees to ensure that no parking is visible from the street.

As much as I like the tower and the fact that it will be built, a 42 story glass tower in a historic district?  That's just absurd.  This building wasn't too far off the mark, but the ocean of fibercement was.  I wouldn't complaint so much if these buildings ever came out looking better in real life than they do on paper, but that is rarely the case.  

Edited by x99

17 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

If I'm not mistaken, it looks like the roof of the "economy heating" building on Wealthy and Eastern has caved in.

PhotoEditor_2017_01_21_15_15_25.jpg

Ouch. All that snow and then rain probably did it in. Didn't something similar happen to the garage behind Bazzani's office? 

• 2 months later...
On 1/17/2017 at 0:35 PM, GVSUChris said:

So months after the rumors here, here's the Mlive story"

Georgina's to Phil's Stuff on Wealthy

It would be nice if the Etoy's remodeling next store was moving along a little faster.

The article doesn't mention the second place for takeout on Cherry.

8 minutes ago, walker said:

It would be nice if the Etoy's remodeling next store was moving along a little faster.

Yeah that 2nd location idea fell through after really salty lease negotiations. The space on Cherry that they were after is now going to be an accessory store (women's AND men's I think) that had a shop in DC before moving to GR recently. We'll see.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, walker said:

Old news:

http://www.grnow.com/georginas-fusion-cuisine-looking-to-open-new-tacqueria-on-wealthy-street/

• 1 month later...

The laundromat on east Fulton looks like it is about to undergo a makeover.

I didn't get too much of a look, but there is a sign out front with a drawing of the renovated building to try to entice a new tenant(s) as they are leasing for it.

ok, here is a poor image of the sign at least.

WP_20170426_09_47_55_Pro.jpg.909891d3a1846883f17e559e39a1db05.jpg

Edited by GR_Urbanist