New projects in East Hills

GRGridGirl

LOL! My "prediction" from 2013 finally comes true!:rolleyes:

The rather large church between Lake Dr. and E. Fulton, on Diamond, will be bought and converted into an independent theater and performing arts center.

But I'm thrilled to see this!  It will be an awesome addition that will put another point of activity in the district.

• Like 4

On 1/19/2019 at 7:01 PM, GR_Urbanist said:

LOL! My "prediction" from 2013 finally comes true!:rolleyes:

But I'm thrilled to see this!  It will be an awesome addition that will put another point of activity in the district.

From what I have heard,  she is using her own funds and unless she is able to bring in others and outside money, this will take a very long time.

23 hours ago, EastownLeo said:

From what I have heard,  she is using her own funds and unless she is able to bring in others and outside money, this will take a very long time.

I'm surprised she hasn't applied for any grants or anything. I assume it's going to be a 501c3? 

• 2 months later...

It’s a cool project. You don’t see many churches like that (wood structure) in the city, and it’s awesome it didn’t meet the wrecking ball. 

I know Brickyaat has been tossed around for a few years, but it’s such a cool name. That area needs to embrace it. Who wouldn’t want to live in a neighborhood called the brickyaat?! 

Joe

8 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

know Brickyaat has been tossed around for a few years, but it’s such a cool name. That area needs to embrace it. Who wouldn’t want to live in a neighborhood called the brickyaat?

Off topic but I play in a neighborhood soccer league and our midtown team is called FC Brickyaat. :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

It’s a cool project. You don’t see many churches like that (wood structure) in the city, and it’s awesome it didn’t meet the wrecking ball. 

I know Brickyaat has been tossed around for a few years, but it’s such a cool name. That area needs to embrace it. Who wouldn’t want to live in a neighborhood called the brickyaat?! 

Joe

There already is a Brikyaat neighborhood. Per Midtown's website "The Brikyaat neighborhood spans from Batavia Place NE to Fuller NE between Fountain and Fulton streets."

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

I knew that there was a formal area called brickyaat. You don’t run across it much though. We seem to be bland with our naming. West side, east hills, Midtown, Eastown. 

Its such a cool name, I’m surprised it hasn’t been adopted by the whole area.

FC Brickyaat is a great name for a soccer team. :) 

Joe

There is reference to it on the sign at the Midtown Green and Midtown sells those plaques you can put on your house, but beyond that I don't think there is much reference to it. Would be cool to see it on street signs like Baxter has.

• 1 month later...

This might not be the best thread for this...but it fits.

ICCF is moving their HQ to their project at Franklin and Madison. I think that's a really cool move because it is built in vitality for their new project, and I'd have to believe they'll find an interesting tenant for their Cherry Street building. 

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/iccf-to-move-to-new-mixed-use-redevelopment-next-year/2000870159

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

I'd have to believe they'll find an interesting tenant for their Cherry Street building. 

I love that building on Cherry. I really hope it get an awesome tenant (not some law firm or other place I'll never have a reason to set foot in).

7 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

I love that building on Cherry. I really hope it get an awesome tenant (not some law firm or other place I'll never have a reason to set foot in).

I can't imagine that building will sit empty long. They did such an amazing job on it. Part of me still can't believe they pulled off the restoration. Half (or more) of the facade was chopped off, the rest was in poor shape, and it had a nasty 1950s / 1960s appendage (a school building?) tacked on. Easily one of the coolest restorations to happen in GR.

Joe

• Like 1

7 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I can't imagine that building will sit empty long. They did such an amazing job on it. Part of me still can't believe they pulled off the restoration. Half (or more) of the facade was chopped off, the rest was in poor shape, and it had a nasty 1950s / 1960s appendage (a school building?) tacked on. Easily one of the coolest restorations to happen in GR.

Joe

After the orphanage left it was Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital.   I think it was Mary Free Bed that added the appendage.  After Mary Free Bed moved down next to Saint Mary's Hospital there were some other charitable organizations that used parts of the building.  I think the March of Dimes was one of them.

EDIT: It came to me this morning when I woke up that in the early two-thousands, probably the last tenant before the remodeling was in fact a school, The Abney Academy.  I'd forgotten that.  Here's a photo I just found on the internet: 

Mary Free Bed Hospital Addition

Edited by walker
because of sudden unexpected flash of memory recall
  • Like 1

Wow, ICCF is moving out of East Hills and down to Franklin Street.  It makes sense, when they first moved into East Hills it was still a bit "fringe." The picture in that article of the woman with the stroller totally brings back memories of when that flurry of redevelopment along Cherry Street was happening.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2019/05/iccf-moving-to-new-location-on-grand-rapids-southeast-side.html

It will be interesting to see who goes into that building. 

I was just about to ask if these people were ever going to finish this thing as it has been sitting for months with what seems like no activity. Like, does it take that long to turn an existing restaurant into a restaurant?

Also, E. Hills has 5 retail spots currently empty not counting this place or the ICCF, and it's starting to look a bit hollowed-out over here! Glad that this place is still going to more than just "coming soon".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Also, E. Hills has 5 retail spots currently empty not counting this place or the ICCF, and it's starting to look a bit hollowed-out over here! Glad that this place is still going to more than just "coming soon".

The prices they are trying to get for those spaces are steep. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/26/2019 at 9:16 AM, GR_Urbanist said:

I was just about to ask if these people were ever going to finish this thing as it has been sitting for months with what seems like no activity. Like, does it take that long to turn an existing restaurant into a restaurant?

A wine shop called Leon & Son is opening in 972 Cherry Street (where the outdoor goods store was).  Owner is from New York and has several wine stores there. They'll do wine tasting events as well as sell wine-to-go. 

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

A wine shop called Leon & Son is opening in 972 Cherry Street (where the outdoor goods store was).  Owner is from New York and has several wine stores there. They'll do wine tasting events as well as sell wine-to-go. 

Very cool! Can't wait to check it out.

• Like 1