New projects in East Hills

GRGridGirl

• 5 months later...

Under The Vine is closing.

Doing some last minute shopping and saw their sign today. Cant say I'm shocked. With Leon and Son opening, being far more geared towards serious wine people + being very affordable (plus being a beautiful space), a place geared towards the people that like wine puns, and just always had a "just barely open" look, was on borrowed time.

The space could use a major renovation anyway, but it leaving puts the empty retail space count up to 5 now on Cherry St.. A bit of a bad look. The ICCF building has also had no takers.

Wealthy St. and Eastown were jumping on Saturday, though. Several shops I went into were mall packed! Made me feel really good, but Cherry St. needs to up their game here.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, EastownLeo said:

Looks like the old Gaia Cafe spot on Diamond will be a New Sushi spot.

Not sure how this is a good idea when Maru is just around the corner.

They could differentiate themselves by either:

A. Going cheaper and offering more a more simplified menu of sushi, forgoing the elaborate rolls Maru is known for.

B. Going more high end and doing a Omakase/Tasting-menu style.

Both options still would be risky however, not the concept I would choose for right there.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

They could differentiate themselves by either:

A. Going cheaper and offering more a more simplified menu of sushi, forgoing the elaborate rolls Maru is known for.

B. Going more high end and doing a Omakase/Tasting-menu style.

Both options still would be risky however, not the concept I would choose for right there.

Yeah, possible a Conveyor Belt Sushi place would fill the lower priced market.
But being around the corner will not pull much foot traffic.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2019 at 11:48 AM, GR_Urbanist said:

Under The Vine is closing.

Doing some last minute shopping and saw their sign today. Cant say I'm shocked. With Leon and Son opening, being far more geared towards serious wine people + being very affordable (plus being a beautiful space), a place geared towards the people that like wine puns, and just always had a "just barely open" look, was on borrowed time.

The space could use a major renovation anyway, but it leaving puts the empty retail space count up to 5 now on Cherry St.. A bit of a bad look. The ICCF building has also had no takers.

Wealthy St. and Eastown were jumping on Saturday, though. Several shops I went into were mall packed! Made me feel really good, but Cherry St. needs to up their game here.

Just what new places Eastown  has?, a nail place and a piercing parlor! The owners outpriced the black owned shoe store, so he moved....And the new apartments, where the tattoo parlor is,  a great addition to the neighborhood, with $2000 apartments above....

• 2 weeks later...
Oh yikes! We just had a problem with two wine shops, now two sushi?
Great to see that space being used none the less. Maybe they will be a strictly takeout place? That would at least keep both from cannibalizing each other.

Looks like more than take out. Here is a pic through their front window.c40ebbf05758960999b6f7441c2d2683.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Im not good at copying posts from FB, so my apologies, but a summary.

Essence Restaurant Group is closing Grove and transitioning it to Jimmy Berger's Chicken Shack which will open Friday. After the stay safe order is lifted it will transition into a fast casual set up.

Greenwell is doing well/Bistro Bell Vista will get some menu attention. Its interesting to see the landscape change in front of us and probably a smart move (seems per the post as in the works) as who knows when full service restaurants will fully reopen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, egrguy said:

Im not good at copying posts from FB, so my apologies, but a summary.

Essence Restaurant Group is closing Grove and transitioning it to Jimmy Berger's Chicken Shack which will open Friday. After the stay safe order is lifted it will transition into a fast casual set up.

Greenwell is doing well/Bistro Bell Vista will get some menu attention. Its interesting to see the landscape change in front of us and probably a smart move (seems per the post as in the works) as who knows when full service restaurants will fully reopen.

Here's an article from channel 17:

fox17: grove-to-be-reopened-as-jimmy-bergers-chicken-shack 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Pattmost20 said:

I don't think it was supposed to. I thought the intention from the beginning was for it to be a pop-up so they weren't losing money on vacant real estate.

I dunno... the stories I read made it seemed like they thought it would be a long term concept and it didn’t work out. But with as quickly and turbulent as things are,  I would expect any course of events at this point. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Two observations from today:

1) The new sushi restaurant in the old Gaia space is really coming along! You can now see inside from the street, and it really is looking nice.

2) The old Richard App Gallery space is going through some significant exterior repair or restoration. I wonder what is in store there?

Old Gaia spot is now KCM.

Not a sushi spot per se, they do have Kimbop which is like Korean sushi for those that have never had it. Their main focus is Sando (Japanese Sandwiches) which are incredibly delicious, and rice plates. 

Overall everything was extremely good, will definitely be back.

20200903_200843.jpg

20200903_200833.jpg

20200903_195627.jpg

20200903_194804.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, tSlater said:

I don't know what's less readable. This restaurant name or a death metal band logo.

Had you not said the name of this place, I'd have to just assume and call it the chicken scratch place.

The logo is a bit unfortunate, but we've been back for the food multiple times (and will be going again this week). Everything is seriously tasty. It is my mission to make sure it stays open, branding woes aside.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

956 Cherry St SE, the antique store that never looked open (ever) has had part of its storefront covered with paper for a few weeks. Today the entire storefront looks completely empty, with  nothing in the display windows. Does anyone know if it has closed? As secretive as it always seemed, I think most people likely never really noticed. It will be an incredible space for a new business if it is going to be up for sale.

6 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

956 Cherry St SE, the antique store that never looked open (ever) has had part of its storefront covered with paper for a few weeks. Today the entire storefront looks completely empty, with  nothing in the display windows. Does anyone know if it has closed? As secretive as it always seemed, I think most people likely never really noticed. It will be an incredible space for a new business if it is going to be up for sale.

It is (or was) Hartwood antiques.  They specialized in the Arts and Crafts movement furniture and décor.  The guy that owns the store also owns the building, as far as I understood.   I mostly browsed, but did buy this old reflective sign about 10 years ago.  

Fox.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/22/2021 at 5:49 PM, GR_Urbanist said:

I have gone in a few times. He used to buy local arts and crafts and antique furniture and mostly would sell to Big city buyers and Designers. Talked to him for a while and he said that he could find amazing pieces here and mark them up a lot to sell to the coasts.  I am guessing he is retiring and opening up the space.