Jump to content

GRGridGirl

New projects in East Hills

Recommended Posts


Under The Vine is closing.

 

Doing some last minute shopping and saw their sign today. Cant say I'm shocked. With Leon and Son opening, being far more geared towards serious wine people + being very affordable (plus being a beautiful space), a place geared towards the people that like wine puns, and just always had a "just barely open" look, was on borrowed time.

The space could use a major renovation anyway, but it leaving puts the empty retail space count up to 5 now on Cherry St.. A bit of a bad look. The ICCF building has also had no takers.

 

Wealthy St. and Eastown were jumping on Saturday, though. Several shops I went into were mall packed! Made me feel really good, but Cherry St. needs to up their game here.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the old Gaia Cafe spot on Diamond will be a New Sushi spot.

Not sure how this is a good idea when Maru is just around the corner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EastownLeo said:

Looks like the old Gaia Cafe spot on Diamond will be a New Sushi spot.

Not sure how this is a good idea when Maru is just around the corner.

They could differentiate themselves by either:

A. Going cheaper and offering more a more simplified menu of sushi, forgoing the elaborate rolls Maru is known for.

B. Going more high end and doing a Omakase/Tasting-menu style.

Both options still would be risky however, not the concept I would choose for right there.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

They could differentiate themselves by either:

A. Going cheaper and offering more a more simplified menu of sushi, forgoing the elaborate rolls Maru is known for.

B. Going more high end and doing a Omakase/Tasting-menu style.

Both options still would be risky however, not the concept I would choose for right there.

Yeah, possible a Conveyor Belt Sushi place would fill the lower priced market.
But being around the corner will not pull much foot traffic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yikes! We just had a problem with two wine shops, now two sushi?

Great to see that space being used none the less. Maybe they will be a strictly takeout place? That would at least keep both from cannibalizing each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2019 at 11:48 AM, GR_Urbanist said:

Under The Vine is closing.

 

Doing some last minute shopping and saw their sign today. Cant say I'm shocked. With Leon and Son opening, being far more geared towards serious wine people + being very affordable (plus being a beautiful space), a place geared towards the people that like wine puns, and just always had a "just barely open" look, was on borrowed time.

The space could use a major renovation anyway, but it leaving puts the empty retail space count up to 5 now on Cherry St.. A bit of a bad look. The ICCF building has also had no takers.

 

Wealthy St. and Eastown were jumping on Saturday, though. Several shops I went into were mall packed! Made me feel really good, but Cherry St. needs to up their game here.

Just what new places Eastown  has?, a nail place and a piercing parlor! The owners outpriced the black owned shoe store, so he moved....And the new apartments, where the tattoo parlor is,  a great addition to the neighborhood, with $2000 apartments above....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oh yikes! We just had a problem with two wine shops, now two sushi?
Great to see that space being used none the less. Maybe they will be a strictly takeout place? That would at least keep both from cannibalizing each other.

Looks like more than take out. Here is a pic through their front window.c40ebbf05758960999b6f7441c2d2683.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, they looks pretty nice! Seems like they really are going to make maxium use of the space.

 

Speaking of sushi and takeout, I hear Maru is getting tons of business (because you know), and they actually have to have people on a short waiting list. Really glad to hear this!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not good at copying posts from FB, so my apologies, but a summary.

Essence Restaurant Group is closing Grove and transitioning it to Jimmy Berger's Chicken Shack which will open Friday. After the stay safe order is lifted it will transition into a fast casual set up.

Greenwell is doing well/Bistro Bell Vista will get some menu attention. Its interesting to see the landscape change in front of us and probably a smart move (seems per the post as in the works) as who knows when full service restaurants will fully reopen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, egrguy said:

Im not good at copying posts from FB, so my apologies, but a summary.

Essence Restaurant Group is closing Grove and transitioning it to Jimmy Berger's Chicken Shack which will open Friday. After the stay safe order is lifted it will transition into a fast casual set up.

Greenwell is doing well/Bistro Bell Vista will get some menu attention. Its interesting to see the landscape change in front of us and probably a smart move (seems per the post as in the works) as who knows when full service restaurants will fully reopen.

Here's an article from channel 17:

fox17: grove-to-be-reopened-as-jimmy-bergers-chicken-shack 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pattmost20 said:

I don't think it was supposed to. I thought the intention from the beginning was for it to be a pop-up so they weren't losing money on vacant real estate.

I dunno... the stories I read made it seemed like they thought it would be a long term concept and it didn’t work out. But with as quickly and turbulent as things are,  I would expect any course of events at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.