New projects in East Hills

GRGridGirl

The old Under the Vine store is being renovated with the old exterior being removed, if you have time, head over and you will see on the Cherry St. side, the old painted signage from decades ago from a previous establishment. 

I keep missing the chance to really get a photo, so I'm not sure what that business was.

Also, Cherie Inn is removing their current exterior and resorting the original brick façade.

13 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

The old Under the Vine store is being renovated with the old exterior being removed, if you have time, head over and you will see on the Cherry St. side, the old painted signage from decades ago from a previous establishment. 

I keep missing the chance to really get a photo, so I'm not sure what that business was.

Also, Cherie Inn is removing their current exterior and resorting the original brick façade.

It’s going to be another spot for Long Road, which will be a great addition to that street! 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

This photo was from late last week...love the old painted signage!   

1469169901_CherryStPhoto.thumb.jpg.bc1e06d54d0f3583e63353042ac64d80.jpg

• Like 4

On 6/13/2021 at 12:10 PM, GR_Urbanist said:

4 hours ago, Hoeks said:

This photo was from late last week...love the old painted signage!   

1469169901_CherryStPhoto.thumb.jpg.bc1e06d54d0f3583e63353042ac64d80.jpg

That is a surprise.  It seems like Cherie Inn has been there forever.  But Cherie Inn's website says they've only been there since 1924 and Superior Fisheries website history says they started there four generations ago but they don't give a year:

Cherie Inn website

Superior Foods website

EDIT: Wait a second - Superior says they started six decades ago, something doesn't add up.  

EDIT2:  Or is this the Vine store and I'm confusing the two remodeling jobs?  I'll have to drive by to figure it out.

Edited by walker
confused old man

Drove by today and turns out I was confused.  Here's what the Cherie Inn de-skinning looked like today:

1042256706_CherieInnunskinned2021-06-15.thumb.JPG.c56b05a6a590e9f41d34757e89345f8f.JPG

For reference, here is what it has looked like before being de-skinned  and before they covered it in blue siding.  I believe this photo was taken in 1948:

2031888105_CherieInn1948.jpg.c813039d00d0dbf09ae6f02aad37c3b7.jpg

And here is what the building looked like a very long time ago before it was the Cherie Inn:

1633969097_967CherrybeforeCherieInn.png.0ce9b13728cac4ab476baccb678d120f.png

Note: the same hanging Phillips 66 gas station sign is on the left of both the two older photos, and it looks like the same faded painted sign at the top of de-skinned  building shows on the bottom photo.     

Edited by walker
found a slightly better photo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Whatever happened to that project at the corners of Eastern and Cherry Streets? I drove by yesterday and both buildings look completely abandoned. I recall the last plan they presented involved tearing down the house. 

I just thought about it recently myself.  Pretty much nothing at all. The developers got such a runaround and so many demands, they seemed to have just tossed up their hands years ago, and left them as they are now.

Good job, GR! The housing crunch could have done without you helping it along like this.

Maybe it would be a great time to reapply with the city a little less picky?

• Like 2

On 6/22/2021 at 3:56 PM, GR_Urbanist said:

I just thought about it recently myself.  Pretty much nothing at all. The developers got such a runaround and so many demands, they seemed to have just tossed up their hands years ago, and left them as they are now.

Good job, GR! The housing crunch could have done without you helping it along like this.

Maybe it would be a great time to reapply with the city a little less picky?

What project was this? And what corner would it have gone on?

12 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

The first was a former rehabilitation facility at the the SE corner of Cherry and Eastern, that was to be turned into Apartments, with I believe to be an extension behind it. Rejected because of "historical district reasons"

The other was to be 1-3 (Maybe just 2) apartment buildings that was to occupy the empty space on the SW corner of Cherry and Eastern. The existing (still empty to this day) house on the corner was to be renovated . The first plans were rejected because they didnt look "old timey" enough. I cant remember what happened with the revised submission.

But the outcome with both seemed to be the developers just saying it wasn't worth it. So years later the old rehab building is still sitting empty and the empty field across the street is still empty.

18 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Southeast and Southwest corners of Cherry and Eastern. They were going to renovate the Project Rehab (?) building and then build new buildings around the house on the other corner. There were a myriad of attempts to get something passed. Cherry Street Capital was the developer, who also did the LMD/Seward project. 

Here was one version. They would make bank on these now if they were condos. 

Cherry and Eastern.jpg

• Sad 1

Two observations today.

1) the old Superior seafood shop outside signage is being powerwashed off as renovations continue, 

2) the former antique store across the street looks to have some interior demo work taking place inside. Signage for the contractors is in. The windows, but I didnt get to really see who they were.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

New owners, plan for Cherry Street storefront in Grand Rapids - YouTube 

Wood TV video

This one is going to look real nice! Far more than I was expecting.

Been seeing them hollow-out the interior for a couple of weeks now, and working on the new patio. The report also details that there is actually no formal plans for what will occupy the space.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like I haven't been paying attention because Books and Mortar has completely moved across the street....man, that was fast!

20211111_083500-01.thumb.jpeg.7ff0085d6afb05d677f180cc096045a2.jpeg

And the previous spot has a CBD shop that is already up and open.

The old Under the Vine space is still making steady progress next door. Gotta get that front wall in before it really turns cold!

Edited by GR_Urbanist
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The old antique store has landed its first bit of retail for what now looks to be two spaces being carved out (or restored) from that storefront. 

Honey Jewelry Co..  I'm not sure if they are moving from their original location in San Diego, California or opening a 2nd location here, but it's pretty cool to see that we landed on the radar of people that far away as a place to want to do business.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

The old antique store has landed its first bit of retail for what now looks to be two spaces being carved out (or restored) from that storefront. 

Honey Jewelry Co..  I'm not sure if they are moving from their original location in San Diego, California or opening a 2nd location here, but it's pretty cool to see that we landed on the radar of people that far away as a place to want to do business.

I've been told by a few folks that Commune is going in the other space, and/or was seriously considering it. They need to move for the development going in place of their building in Eastown. I think they'd make a great addition to Cherry. It's been fun watching Cherry have this latest organic renaissance. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Honey Jewelry Co.. 

Can someone help me out on the address exactly? I have a hard time pinning it down since everything in this thread is "the old this", "across from that". I'm too young for this forum.

17 minutes ago, ZAP! said:

Can someone help me out on the address exactly? I have a hard time pinning it down since everything in this thread is "the old this", "across from that". I'm too young for this forum.

I confuse myself sometimes with references to old businesses. :) It’s 956 Cherry. 

Joe

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...