Jump to content

New projects in East Hills


GRGridGirl

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

The distilleries are coming. :) eastern kills is opening in Wealthy (next to Rowsters), Long Road is opening a tasting room on Cherry. 

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/long-road-eastern-kille-aim-to-open-tasting-rooms-in-se-grand-rapids/

Joe

Start at Buffalo Traders and you could do a nice, little cocktail bar crawl. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Someone at the Chamber told me that Orion/Wheeler is planning a five story apartment building on Lake Drive near Eastown? Has this been covered here already? 

Are they referring to the development at Lake and Robinson? The one that is replacing Commune and Argos?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

Are they referring to the development at Lake and Robinson? The one that is replacing Commune and Argos?

That sounds like the location. Was it mentioned here before? I'm not remembering it. 

Never mind, I found it: https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/120732-robinson-flats-robinson-rd-lake-drive/

I felt stupid not having a clue what he was talking about. :P

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/6/2022 at 8:45 AM, GRDadof3 said:

That sounds like the location. Was it mentioned here before? I'm not remembering it. 

Never mind, I found it: https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/120732-robinson-flats-robinson-rd-lake-drive/

I felt stupid not having a clue what he was talking about. :P

 

This project is on hold due to rising construction costs. 

 

They hope to revisit down the line and see if it's viable

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2022 at 4:11 PM, Cookin_peacocks said:

This project is on hold due to rising construction costs. 

 

They hope to revisit down the line and see if it's viable

That's a bummer.  Kinda makes me concerned the 24 story project will be put "on hold".  I think they have less than a year to get started per the extended agreement.  Maybe give it to someone who can actually get it done?  Oh well at least the hospitals have plenty of money and can get stuff done.  Speaking of hospitals, St. Marys is looking to add a children's hospital.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

That's a bummer.  Kinda makes me concerned the 24 story project will be put "on hold".  I think they have less than a year to get started per the extended agreement.  Maybe give it to someone who can actually get it done?  Oh well at least the hospitals have plenty of money and can get stuff done.  Speaking of hospitals, St. Marys is looking to add a children's hospital.

The one on Fulton? Yeah I had good intel that that was going to be a go soon, but that completely shifted.

 

I was told to watch out for the library lot though...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


14 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

The one on Fulton? Yeah I had good intel that that was going to be a go soon, but that completely shifted.

 

I was told to watch out for the library lot though...

Didn’t Orion and Wheeler split off? I wonder if the24 story building was wheelers pet project? Maybe Orion doesn’t have the same affinity for it?

I say they need to build it, or move on. Let someone else take a shot at that corner. 

Joe

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Not much. Just that it'll be mixed use and air rights are a strong possibility. Nothing is done as far as I know. Just a strong possibility that ramp gets built. 

I watched a meeting not too long ago (a month, maybe?) and I still think they are VERY far off. Sounds like they voted to do a stacked development (retail / commercial on first, parking above, development possibilities above that), and they want to restrict development next to the original library building, but other than that, it's not a solid plan. While I think something will happen, I wouldn't get too excited about this anytime soon (I'd estimate it's still 2-4 years away),  and even then, could end up being a parking ramp with empty retail since they hadn't identified any partners to build the portion above, or what to build.

Joe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

I watched a meeting not too long ago (a month, maybe?) and I still think they are VERY far off. Sounds like they voted to do a stacked development (retail / commercial on first, parking above, development possibilities above that), and they want to restrict development next to the original library building, but other than that, it's not a solid plan. While I think something will happen, I wouldn't get too excited about this anytime soon (I'd estimate it's still 2-4 years away),  and even then, could end up being a parking ramp with empty retail since they hadn't identified any partners to build the portion above, or what to build.

Joe

Absolutely. There's nothing concrete about this except the ramp HAS to have ground floor retail. I believe all ramps built in the city going forward have to. 

 

Again, from what I'm told

Link to comment
Share on other sites

J&H Auto has closed and is up for sale. Whether or not it is bought, it may take a lot to redevelop as it will likely need special attention paid to all of the old gas station infrastructure in order to clean it up.

 

It's a long time key spot that needs something great to really bring that intersection together. I hope whomever buys it doesn't try to pretty up the existing old gas station, and try to shove something into it. It needs to be demolished so it stops sticking out like a shabby rust nail.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

J&H Auto has closed and is up for sale.


I’m not sure where this info came from, but They were open today and owner John said there are no plans to close.

My wife did ask about the for sale sign that has been in the window for several weeks. She was told something like “the building has always been for sale for the right price”


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 6/16/2022 at 10:10 AM, joeDowntown said:

Didn’t Orion and Wheeler split off? I wonder if the24 story building was wheelers pet project? Maybe Orion doesn’t have the same affinity for it?

I say they need to build it, or move on. Let someone else take a shot at that corner. 

Joe

Yep.  My thoughts exactly.  crap or get off the pot.  Sell it to someone who can get it done

Speaking of Wheeler, there was an article in Mbiz where he mentioned there are A LOT of outside developers with plans in the area.  I heard the same with the amphitheater projects that city leaders met with some big time developers for the surrounding area.  We need more that, more of a Dan Gilbert go huge mentality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.