Would you support a tax increase?

Rhino6885

You will notice that no one is doing bypass lanes anymore, they are all center left turn lanes. County, state, it doesn't matter, the traffic engineers have deemed center left turn lanes to be the solution, no more bypass lanes. If a county road commissioner happens to live on the road, I strongly suspect, it's just coincidental.

You made the comment that most Road commission are reactive, not proactive. That is very true. Given the funding situation for the last 15+ years, that's all most can do.

PS: What's a "CDP"? That's a new one on me ;)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess my road commission comments somewhat are unwarrantly stemmed from my frustration that Jenison is not a incorporated community with its own governing body and therefore, has control of its own roads. It's not that I think the Township necessarily does a bad job or that I really want hire taxes but it I really feel it would help the community in terms of growth and maybe becoming more than just a highway exit of strip commercial. I know it is and always will be a suburb but it would be nice if had a real sense of place.

Does anyone know what the exact date is when the new income tax rate takes effect? I have a bad feeling that it will apply retroactively to all of 2007, not just from today onward. By my calculations that would mean an effective 5.7% rate for the rest of the year to even out at 4.35% for the entire year. Ouch.

Does anyone know what the exact date is when the new income tax rate takes effect? I have a bad feeling that it will apply retroactively to all of 2007, not just from today onward. By my calculations that would mean an effective 5.7% rate for the rest of the year to even out at 4.35% for the entire year. Ouch.

You're right. For someone making $40,000 this year, it will mean a whopping $170 increase for the entire year!! To keep the state of Michigan afloat. That is way too much of a burden on people.

Oh wait, it might be less than $170 for people who itemize. :whistling:

Oh, wait again. It's also a tax increase on services like skiing, and home inspections, and storage facilities. Ouch! They're trying to kill us!

BTW: It's time to end term limits.

• 2 weeks later...
You're right. For someone making $40,000 this year, it will mean a whopping $170 increase for the entire year!! To keep the state of Michigan afloat. That is way too much of a burden on people.

Oh wait, it might be less than $170 for people who itemize. :whistling:

Oh, wait again. It's also a tax increase on services like skiing, and home inspections, and storage facilities. Ouch! They're trying to kill us!

BTW: It's time to end term limits.

It can be a double whammy for somebody like myself though. Take the additional income tax and add in the service tax for my lawn mowing business and it seems as though Im getting the raw end of the stick.

I dont mind paying more income tax, but the taxing labor should be a no-no. Raising the sales tax seems like a more plausible idea to me. Just my .02.

According to taxfoundation.org Michigan taxes were in the middle in terms of overall taxation compared to other states. I doubt that this tax increase is going to push us all the way to the top. I think the service taxes are a good idea because they affect relatively few people and those that are affected will probably not notice that much. you already pay sales tax on most things it isn't much of a stretch to pay another small amount on your tanning, lawn mowing, etc. I dont' think that it will decrease usage of those services at all. the state had to balance the budget. there was no other option as it would have been insolvent in the next year. our taxation is still less than it was at the 10 years ago and we were only operating at a defecit because of tax cuts over the past several years.

it could be worse. residents of chicago, whose taxes are already far higher than ours, are facing a billion dollar tax increase between the state, county, and city taxes

Archived