Providence Waterfront

Frankie811

As long as no new development inhibits the ability for Providence to get in on some short sea shipping, then I say build whatever you want. SSS has already been studied for Fall River and New Bedford and been found to be more economically viable than certain long haul truck routes, so if Providence wants to compete, it better make sure new nonindustrial development does not interfere.

Providence Harbor's short sea shipping opportunity:

http://providenceworkingwaterfront.org/ind...t-sea-shipping/

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Important though the issue is, it seems to be part of a pretty common battle going on in cities everywhere. Why the NYT picked up on it here puzzles me a little bit.

My guess is that guy Conley seeked out the NY Times to further his side of the story..

He probably did seeked it, but the Providence story is interesting to a national audience. Believe it or not, the Times is a pretty good paper and even though this story may have a narrow audience, it is a continuation of a theme. Search the archives and you will find similar stories about places like Yonkers and New Britain, they may seem obscure, but they are part of a series when put them together.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

PROJO: "Shooters site on waterfront could be drawing crowds again"

"fishing piers, farmers' markets, public spaces and bike paths throughout. Even a Ferris wheel is possible"

London has the eye, we can have the "red eye" for the royal #%^$*# we are taking from the G.A. India Point Park is just like the quay on the Thames.

I thought the guy's name from Project for Public Spaces was Fred Kent. Who is Ethan Kent?

There's two guys, brothers or husbands or something I think. I think both of them were here for the Kennedy Plaza workshop.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Why not just relocate all of the industrial businesses north of Thurbers Ave. to south of the port or to Quonset Pt.? It makes to much sense to develop this land so close to downtown and as a continuation of the existing Riverwalk not to.

This is where projects like Vista Dell Torre should be .

• 5 months later...

PROJO: "$28-million plan would expand Port of Providence"

http://www.projo.com/ri/providence/content...21.34f349e.html

"The $28-million-plus plan calls for the redevelopment of the former city landfill along Narragansett Bay, the extension of existing Providence-Worcester railways lines, and the purchase of two specialized cranes to handle shipping containers."

This is an economic "must" for the city & state at this point IMHO...

PROJO: "$28-million plan would expand Port of Providence"

http://www.projo.com/ri/providence/content...21.34f349e.html

"The $28-million-plus plan calls for the redevelopment of the former city landfill along Narragansett Bay, the extension of existing Providence-Worcester railways lines, and the purchase of two specialized cranes to handle shipping containers."

This is an economic "must" for the city & state at this point IMHO...

Finally a worthwhile development!

• 6 months later...

Archived