Members Favorites

Afro Saxon

I'm always looking for somewhere to go and have a hard time finding new places to check out. I trust the members here more than I do the various best of's. So what are you favorite places. I'll start.

I'm a Northender so my list will largely be Northend centric.

Food:

Southern: Rajun Cajun,best fried chicken and macaroni around. Cozy Spot is a close second.

West Indian: Overall Channers they do everything well and have the best fried chicken of all the Jamaican spots.

For Jerk I like (for got the name, but its the first Jamaican restaurant on Albany Ave when coming from West Hartford) they make theirs "Boston Style" which I think simply means over charcoal and allspice sprigs.

For patties there is only one place Scotts backery on Albany Ave and Main Street.

Culture: Aside from the obvious such as The Wadsworth, The Bushnell, and The Hartford Stage. I enjoy The Artist Collective on a good night you might find Wynton, and other prominant Jazz greats. They do not do a very good job publisizing events.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite deli is Max Bibbo's on Main St. on the first floor of my building 250 Main. It's great having a good deli downstairs.

My favorite Jamaican beef patty spot is Scott's.

I'm not sure I have a favorite restaurant, I really like Mayor Mike's, The Russell, Agave, and Wood N Tap just to name few.

My favorite place for chili dogs is of course Woody's!

My favorite deli is Max Bibbo's on Main St. on the first floor of my building 250 Main. It's great having a good deli downstairs.

I'm not sure I have a favorite restaurant, I really like Mayor Mike's, The Russell, Agave, and Wood N Tap just to name few.

When I used to work in Hartford my favorite lunch spot was the Polish National Home on Charter Oak Avenue. Get the Polish Plate with pierogi and kielbasa.

El Mercado on Park Street has a good food court representing Latin America(Colombia, Mexico, Dominican, and more..).

First and Last Tavern has really good pizza.

There is excellent Peruvian at Goal International and Colombian at La Fonda both on Franklin.

My favorite West Indian is Pepper's in East Hartford.

The Charter Oak Cultural Center puts on some interesting events.

The West Indian Social Club gets artists from all over the Caribbean as well as Europe, Asia, and the United States.

Kahoots in E. Hartford used to be the spot to observe some natural beauty(well not always natural).

Best Overall Restaurant: Joe Black's - I absolutly love this place. Every year Max Downtown continues to hold its place as top restaurant but I just love Joe Black's. I love the atmosphere - the renovated bank building is stunning and the food is unique, not your typical Irish food

Hot Dog: Woody's - by far my favorite city hot dog even though theyll be facing some competition when Rosco's moves in on Temple Street

Burgers: Wood N Tap - have always loved Wood N Tap even before they opened all these suburban locations, great burgers, specialty pizzas, and sweet potato fries

Coffee: JoJo's - great coffee and breakfast sandwiches!!!

Bakery: Modern Pastry - always favored Modern over Mozzicatto Bakery and always will, great cookies, cakes, pastries and gelato

Pizza: Head on over to South End Bakery on Franklin Avenue for some real Italian pizza, thick break with either sauce and grated cheese or anchovies

Italian: Hot Tomato's - The food here isnt your typical Italian which is why I love it, and I can eat it while looking out onto the park to.

Grinder: Franklin Giant Grinder (I think thats what its called) right on Franklin Avenue, easily best grinders in the city

Best Overall Restaurant: Joe Black's - I absolutly love this place. Every year Max Downtown continues to hold its place as top restaurant but I just love Joe Black's. I love the atmosphere - the renovated bank building is stunning and the food is unique, not your typical Irish food

Hot Dog: Woody's - by far my favorite city hot dog even though theyll be facing some competition when Rosco's moves in on Temple Street

Burgers: Wood N Tap - have always loved Wood N Tap even before they opened all these suburban locations, great burgers, specialty pizzas, and sweet potato fries

Coffee: JoJo's - great coffee and breakfast sandwiches!!!

Bakery: Modern Pastry - always favored Modern over Mozzicatto Bakery and always will, great cookies, cakes, pastries and gelato

Pizza: Head on over to South End Bakery on Franklin Avenue for some real Italian pizza, thick break with either sauce and grated cheese or anchovies

Italian: Hot Tomato's - The food here isnt your typical Italian which is why I love it, and I can eat it while looking out onto the park to.

Grinder: Franklin Giant Grinder (I think thats what its called) right on Franklin Avenue, easily best grinders in the city

• 3 weeks later...

My Hartford favorites:

Best outdoor dining: Spris on Constitution Plaza. Great food, great views, and no bus or car fumes near your table.

The fountain is very relaxing.

Best burger: Vaughan's or Wood n' Tap

Best Pizza: Alladin on Allyn Street.

Best Mediterranean: Alladin

Best Indian: Masala at Capitol and Main

Best Date place: Trumbull Kitchen

Best coffee: JoJo's

Best Thai: Bangkok inside State House Square (only open for lunches)

Best Deli: Max Bibo's on Trumbull

Best sit-down breakfast: Ashley's

Best place for a quick breakfast: Cappuccino's and More in the Linden. Breakfast burritos and the soups are out of this world

Archived