Possible new development on Bert Kouns?

Mudbugger

Hey all,

I don't post that often but i have noticed a lot of land being cleared near the northwest corner of Bert Kouns and Linwood.

This is part of a massive 135 acre part of land that has been idle for a long time. It is currently covered with trees and when you see the newly cleared land you get the idea as to how big it is and how unique the topography is.

If anyone has some news on this i would appreciate it.

Thanks and have a good weekend.

Mudbugger

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That big swath of land on Bert Kouns that is being cleared is right near my house.

I would love to see it developed into something like the Youree drive corridor.

So much land and Southern Hills is still one of the nicer neighborhoods. Lots of people with decent incomes.

Maybe we could score a regular Target out here. A Super Target would make more sense out near Pines road.

I know that there is lots of talk about movie studios locating here and that big a slice of land with fairly good location to I-49 would do well.

Just a lot of daydreaming on my part.

By the way, you know the Starbucks in the Centurytel call center parking lot?

It was supposed to open in late August but they had a slight setback.

After doing the foundation work and putting up the shell of the building the contractor handed it over to Starbucks corporate. They like to do their own interior work, so i am told. When they got there they noticed a slight problem.

No sewage was put down before the slab was poured. I kid you not!

I was wondering why i saw some guys inside the store with backhoes and jackhammers.

That explains their late start to opening.

The last i heard it should open late September to late October.

Have a good weekend all,

Mudbugger

• 3 weeks later...

This is probably unrelated, but, i saw a huge piece of land that has been cleared in front of Calvary Baptist Church on Linwood... not too far away from the aforementioned unnamed development going on on Bert Kouns. It has the look of a new neighborhood, but i could be totally off. Any ideas on what it could be?

This is probably unrelated, but, i saw a huge piece of land that has been cleared in front of Calvary Baptist Church on Linwood... not too far away from the aforementioned unnamed development going on on Bert Kouns. It has the look of a new neighborhood, but i could be totally off. Any ideas on what it could be?

A while back someone was seeking approval for a sales office or model home or something, to be built >I believe< right across from Calvary. I believe this request was for the beginning of a new neighborhood, so this very well may be what is going on. That's been probably a year ago that I saw that, so I apologize for my vague memory on that.

• 2 months later...

I am sure that most of the posters on this site heard about this.

Calvary church threw a real fit about Thrifty Liquor wanting to build a location on the land at Bert Kouns and Linwood.

They brought busloads of kids to protest and they got their way, the owners and developers of that land can't build on THEIR own property for at least a year.

Shouldn't they have sent a letter to Calvary asking them what would be ok to build?

Frigging churches!!!

They have way too much power here!

What we need to do to stop this from happening again is simple.

The second a church wants to stop a business from locating near them they should surrender their tax-exempt status.

Many businesses can't locate so close to schools (and i have no problems on those limitations) but in other parts of the country the religious zealots don't get the luxury of telling who can put up a new shopping mall with a liquor store in front.

Groups like Calvary just want more control over our lives (gee, who would think a church would do that?).

Give it to them and take away their precious tax-exempt status!

See how long they function without it, maybe we will see the end of the mega-churches!

Ah, a Mudbugger can dream can't he?

I am sure that most of the posters on this site heard about this.

Calvary church threw a real fit about Thrifty Liquor wanting to build a location on the land at Bert Kouns and Linwood.

They brought busloads of kids to protest and they got their way, the owners and developers of that land can't build on THEIR own property for at least a year.

Shouldn't they have sent a letter to Calvary asking them what would be ok to build?

Frigging churches!!!

They have way too much power here!

What we need to do to stop this from happening again is simple.

The second a church wants to stop a business from locating near them they should surrender their tax-exempt status.

Many businesses can't locate so close to schools (and i have no problems on those limitations) but in other parts of the country the religious zealots don't get the luxury of telling who can put up a new shopping mall with a liquor store in front.

Groups like Calvary just want more control over our lives (gee, who would think a church would do that?).

Give it to them and take away their precious tax-exempt status!

See how long they function without it, maybe we will see the end of the mega-churches!

Ah, a Mudbugger can dream can't he?

Exactly, Mudbugger. I gave a little rant about this on another thread last week. I once attended Calvary and I know people who still do. It's full of hypocrites who all have the "holier-than-thou" attitude." And I'll tell you it took us a few times attending before we began to see the little snake of a preacher for what he is. He doesn't care about his congregation but he does care about the mighty dollar, which he preaches every single sermon about. My wife had genuine concerns so we asked to meet with him. When we got our meeting all we could get from him were generic answers, not once did he even come close to answering a single question asked of him. We left that meeting visibly upset with him and the entire church and never went back. But those who attend regularly seem to be under some kind of spell. You don't dare talk bad about Calvary to them, or you get that "we will behead you" look.

Anyway enough of the rant about the one particular church, but I do have to agree that churches have too much power on what can be built (ie. Hooters taking 20+ years to finally build here and in Texarkana.) I understand morality, but in the name of organized religion it's often slammed in our face at every single opportunity and used to keep our cities from progressing. I don't like that.

To add to your rant, perhaps we should start telling churches where they can and can't build. ;) Let's start showing up at MPC and City Council meetings raising hell over the church that is going to move into the progressive part of town and try to run everything out and keep the area from progressing further.

By the way, I'm not anti-church but I am anti-hypocrite and am very much against churches having too much power. I personally like Brookwood and think it's a great, progressive church. I just hope they never turn Calvary-ish.

to be completely honest I wouldn't want a liquor store next to my church it's just not how it usuaully is.. kind of common sense... maybe you don't build one there out of respect... I know this is a free america but you have to have common sense. Calvary is also a school so don't build next to a school?? seriously how many thrifty liquors are in shreveport now? churches do nothing but help land value where as a big huge liquor store with flashing signs looks tacky as heck..

...but it's not right next to the church or the school. From my map it actually appears to be outside of the required distance to build. Maybe I have it wrong but I was thinking it was 1,000 feet, and it looks to be closer to 2,000 feet away.

Either way if a decent restaurant opens in that area it will likely serve alcohol. Does the Brookshire's not sell alcohol? This is a real question because I don't know, but I know I can walk into almost any other Brookshire's store and buy liquor. Brookshire's is actually slightly closer to the church/school and is on the same side of the road. Seriously I've never understood that. Ruby Tuesday in Bossier surely sells alcoholic beverages, and they are sandwiched between a high school and a church. What makes them any different than if Thrifty Liquor built next door to them?

I'm not defending Thrifty and I don't want anyone thinking I am, I'm just challenging what I consider to be stupid laws. People can live right next door to a school and run a crack house illegally, where kids are much more likely to get ahold of dangerous, illegal substances; but someone can't legally open a liquor store down the block? The elementary and middle schools I attended were/are both surrounded by crack houses, known prostitution corners, etc... but there isn't a liquor store for miles. The bad behavior is there and alcohol played no part in it. Kids I went to school with were becoming addicted to drugs and joining street gangs at a very early age because that stuff was literally right across the fence from our playground.

I just have to respectfully disagree with the notion that opening a liquor store near a church or school shouldn't be allowed when there is far much worse right there for children to get into. And I don't believe for one minute that a child taught in a church school is going to behave any better than a child taught in a public school. As a matter of fact I know this to be quite the opposite. Despite the trouble that I got into in high school, I didn't drink, I didn't do drugs, and none of my female friends were pregnant. Most kids I knew who went to a church school was either a heavy drinker, a drug user, or a "tramp." Even my "street" friends seemed to have better morals than the kids who went off to the church schools. That's simply the way it is, in many cases those kids rebel far worse than the kids in the lower-income neighborhoods, but yet they're still treated like they're superior to everyone else by their "holier than thou" parents who attend every city council meeting to stop liquor stores, while right under their noses their little "angel" is stuffing his/her nose with cocaine.

Still, I agree that something like Thrifty Liquor will be tacky and detract from the landscape, even though I guarantee you that is not why the "holier than thou" Calvary soccer moms are against it. They're against it because they're afraid of it, they're afraid that their darling little angels will somehow be corrupted by the store down the block that is selling liquor. And that is something I'll never understand. I highly doubt we'd soon have been seeing throngs of drunken 8-year-olds lining the stretch of road between Calvary and Thrifty.

Brookwood is a little farther down the road, but still close enough to be affected in the same way as Calvary, yet I haven't heard a peep out of the congregation there. It's because the people at that church, for the most part, seem to be down to Earth people who are not as easily brainwashed into believing that a liquor store being within a short distance is going to bring about all the demons from the darkest, hottest depths of hell to unleash their hatred on them.

Again, I respectfully disagree with that I consider to be a "poppycock" notion. I know not everyone agrees with me, but this is just the way I see it. There are far worse things (especially in Shreveport) for people to worry about.

...but it's not right next to the church or the school. From my map it actually appears to be outside of the required distance to build. Maybe I have it wrong but I was thinking it was 1,000 feet, and it looks to be closer to 2,000 feet away.

Either way if a decent restaurant opens in that area it will likely serve alcohol. Does the Brookshire's not sell alcohol? This is a real question because I don't know, but I know I can walk into almost any other Brookshire's store and buy liquor. Brookshire's is actually slightly closer to the church/school and is on the same side of the road. Seriously I've never understood that. Ruby Tuesday in Bossier surely sells alcoholic beverages, and they are sandwiched between a high school and a church. What makes them any different than if Thrifty Liquor built next door to them?

I'm not defending Thrifty and I don't want anyone thinking I am, I'm just challenging what I consider to be stupid laws. People can live right next door to a school and run a crack house illegally, where kids are much more likely to get ahold of dangerous, illegal substances; but someone can't legally open a liquor store down the block? The elementary and middle schools I attended were/are both surrounded by crack houses, known prostitution corners, etc... but there isn't a liquor store for miles. The bad behavior is there and alcohol played no part in it. Kids I went to school with were becoming addicted to drugs and joining street gangs at a very early age because that stuff was literally right across the fence from our playground.

I just have to respectfully disagree with the notion that opening a liquor store near a church or school shouldn't be allowed when there is far much worse right there for children to get into. And I don't believe for one minute that a child taught in a church school is going to behave any better than a child taught in a public school. As a matter of fact I know this to be quite the opposite. Despite the trouble that I got into in high school, I didn't drink, I didn't do drugs, and none of my female friends were pregnant. Most kids I knew who went to a church school was either a heavy drinker, a drug user, or a "tramp." Even my "street" friends seemed to have better morals than the kids who went off to the church schools. That's simply the way it is, in many cases those kids rebel far worse than the kids in the lower-income neighborhoods, but yet they're still treated like they're superior to everyone else by their "holier than thou" parents who attend every city council meeting to stop liquor stores, while right under their noses their little "angel" is stuffing his/her nose with cocaine.

Still, I agree that something like Thrifty Liquor will be tacky and detract from the landscape, even though I guarantee you that is not why the "holier than thou" Calvary soccer moms are against it. They're against it because they're afraid of it, they're afraid that their darling little angels will somehow be corrupted by the store down the block that is selling liquor. And that is something I'll never understand. I highly doubt we'd soon have been seeing throngs of drunken 8-year-olds lining the stretch of road between Calvary and Thrifty.

Brookwood is a little farther down the road, but still close enough to be affected in the same way as Calvary, yet I haven't heard a peep out of the congregation there. It's because the people at that church, for the most part, seem to be down to Earth people who are not as easily brainwashed into believing that a liquor store being within a short distance is going to bring about all the demons from the darkest, hottest depths of hell to unleash their hatred on them.

Again, I respectfully disagree with that I consider to be a "poppycock" notion. I know not everyone agrees with me, but this is just the way I see it. There are far worse things (especially in Shreveport) for people to worry about.

• 1 month later...

Okay, same street, different location... Yesterday, I passed by WK-Pierremont on Bert Kouns, heading east towards E. 70th, and saw an area of land being cleared near the hospital. Any ideas on what's going on over there? I hope it's not another storage facility...

Archived