Rockledge Inn

VirginiaSportsReport

The best model for the type of company that I'd like to see more of, and would be realistic to expect, would be ITT. While I don't know anything in particular about it, I'd imagine the bulk of production jobs do not require a college degree. However, they are high skilled and high paying; that's what I consider "blue collar" not a $7 burger flipper. And, there are technical, engineering, and "front office" job which require a college degree and would be considered "white collar." It really is a shame that Johnson & Johnson closed, and I do wonder if a lack of skilled workers -though never stated- was a reason why. I also wonder if it is a factor in no significant companies yet to emerge from the Carilion Biomedical Institute, which I considered the best economic development idea of the past 25 years as it attempted to build on what exists and seems like a solid business idea.

Roanoke simply isn't going to have an economy like Northern Virginia or Charlotte based on a "pure" non-medical white collar industry like banking/finance or software development. For a variety of reasons, those industries are increasingly migrating to large cities. Roanoke will do well to hold onto what it has. (See the Advance Auto Parts saga.) I know it's not the city that Roanoke usually looks towards, but it's interesting to compare Roanoke and Lynchburg. Since 1980 to 2006, the Lynchburg MSA has increased in population from 182,207 to 223,917, which is 22.9%. Since 1980 to 2006, the Roanoke MSA (using the current definition) has increased in populaton from 260,081 to 295,530, which is 13.6%. If Roanoke had matched Lynchburg's growth rate, the Roanoke MSA would have a population of 319,618. That's 24,088 more or roughly the population of Salem. While Lynchburg would hardly be called a boom-town, it's clearly been doing better than Roanoke. And, with Lynchburg's nuclear industry possibly poised to take advantage of the deposit in Pittsylvania County, the gap could grow.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The best model for the type of company that I'd like to see more of, and would be realistic to expect, would be ITT. While I don't know anything in particular about it, I'd imagine the bulk of production jobs do not require a college degree. However, they are high skilled and high paying; that's what I consider "blue collar" not a $7 burger flipper. And, there are technical, engineering, and "front office" job which require a college degree and would be considered "white collar." It really is a shame that Johnson & Johnson closed, and I do wonder if a lack of skilled workers -though never stated- was a reason why. I also wonder if it is a factor in no significant companies yet to emerge from the Carilion Biomedical Institute, which I considered the best economic development idea of the past 25 years as it attempted to build on what exists and seems like a solid business idea.

Roanoke simply isn't going to have an economy like Northern Virginia or Charlotte based on a "pure" non-medical white collar industry like banking/finance or software development. For a variety of reasons, those industries are increasingly migrating to large cities. Roanoke will do well to hold onto what it has. (See the Advance Auto Parts saga.) I know it's not the city that Roanoke usually looks towards, but it's interesting to compare Roanoke and Lynchburg. Since 1980 to 2006, the Lynchburg MSA has increased in population from 182,207 to 223,917, which is 22.9%. Since 1980 to 2006, the Roanoke MSA (using the current definition) has increased in populaton from 260,081 to 295,530, which is 13.6%. If Roanoke had matched Lynchburg's growth rate, the Roanoke MSA would have a population of 319,618. That's 24,088 more or roughly the population of Salem. While Lynchburg would hardly be called a boom-town, it's clearly been doing better than Roanoke. And, with Lynchburg's nuclear industry possibly poised to take advantage of the deposit in Pittsylvania County, the gap could grow.

I'm surprised that the number of commuters from Bedford to Roanoke and Lynchburg are that close. I would've guessed around 2 to 1 in favor of Lynchburg. I also definitely agree about the role of Liberty University in the relative growth of Lynchburg. The growth of Liberty has been under the radar, even around the area. And, at least potentially, I'd think students at Liberty would be more likely to want to remain in the area than typical college students.

I also agree that the precipitous drop in the population of Roanoke City is a major concern. While many other cities have at least stabilized in population since around 1990, the drop is accelerating in Roanoke. By now, Roanoke County almost certainly has a higher population. It's concerning that the citizens, politicians, and media of Roanoke are paying little to no attention to what should be viewed as a crisis. The Roanoke Times ought to have a weeklong series detailing exactly who's moving away and why (schools, crime, jobs?) and where they are going (suburbs or out of town?).

I think this is a huge factor in why Lynchburg is growing at a faster rate. Roanoke desperately needs a sizeable 4 year undergraduate institution. Currently nothing fitting the bill exists in the city of Roanoke. Why are young people moving out of Roanoke in droves at 18? To go to college. Why are 18-year-olds moving in droves to other cities but not Roanoke? To go to college. All I want is a 4 year college with an enrollment of at least 3500. May a very rich person please will all of your estate to this noble cause? I will be very gratetful.

• 4 weeks later...

The Roanoke Times had several op-ed pieces on the Rockledge Inn proposal this past Sunday. Many points of view were represented. The article by Bob Crawford most closely reflects my views:

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/commentary/special/wb/151680

Here are some excerpts:

"Such intentions might also lead to finding ways to support the expansion of area wi-fi zones, creating some enhancement for the monthly Art-by-Night occasions of the market area galleries, developing a weekly informal chamber music lunchtime event at the new art museum's cafe or outdoor patio, sponsoring an avant garde film series at the Grandin Theater or the new art museum, creating a program of augmenting selected categories of library holdings in the local library system, and the development of aesthetic and sports-use of the Roanoke River, to mention a few possible quality of life enhancements.

The wish for an upscale retreat away from the activities of the city sounds more like a desire of the senior businessmen's set than an idea of young, educated professionals seeking to enhance the day-by-day quality of life in the valley for their peer group."

• 3 weeks later...

Archived