Uptown Greenville

Greenville

With all the discussion about Greenville's developing urban centers, I thought it seemed appropriate to start a thread for our "second downtown." It seems that the booming area along I-85 that includes The Point, CU-ICAR, Verdae, Hubbell Lighting headquarters, Carolina First headquarters, etc. has been dubbed "uptown." I saw it referenced in this article on the GSA Business website:

http://www.gsabusiness.com/index.php?optio...=53&item=33

I hope that the city puts a lot of effort into promoting this area with great signage, consistent marketing, etc. Thoughts?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the idea of the "uptown" label for this area. It makes sense given the volume of stuff that is being crammed in there, and because it doesn't have its own identity (yet) other than "Woodruff Road". However, I think that people might have some trouble taking to it at first because there is so much emphasis on the individual developments right now(The Point, ICAR, Magnolia, Verdae, etc.) rather than the area as a whole. Since the Uptown area would be defined by these projects that are all still being built, it seems to me that unless the businesses want it bad enough to market the area themselves, it will just take some time to become an esablished business center which more than likely will want to be collectively recognized as something, be it Uptown or even something else. I like Uptown though. I hope it sticks.

It seems that the McChesney development at The Point will be at the core of Uptown. I wonder if the people at McChesney are planning on LRT or even an underground rail line to serve the urban area they will be creating? Hopefully the city would push for that, because now is the perfect time to plan for that!

I agree with what gsupstate said about duplicating downtown's use of signage in Uptown. Once the city develops colors and a logo for Uptown, it can then begin to market it as one solidified area to both area residents as well as outsiders. Giving it a sense of place is vital, I think.

Archived