Hotel development in Charlotte

tiblerbrit

I've been reading several articles about how hotel construction is still gaining steam despite the credit crunch. Other cities (such as Austin, San Antonio, Atlanta, Indianapolis) are building large scale hotels downtown. With the exception of a couple small boutiques (aloft, ritz, and twelve) why haven't we seen any substantial proposals for Uptown? I thought the NASCAR HoF was supposed to attract national hotel developers, or is it still too early for these to be announced?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the Hyatt website:

Hyatt Summerfield Suites - Charlotte Airport

4920 South Tryon Street

Charlotte, North Carolina, USA

Opening Nov 1, 2007

Hyatt Place Charlotte/City Park

4119 South Stream Boulevard

Opening Fall 2007

Hyatt Place Charlotte Airport/Tyvola Road

2950 Oak Lake Boulevard

Opening 2008

Hyatt Place Charlotte/Arrowood

7900 Forest Point Boulevard

I agree that a large hotel would be a sound business decision.....those Hyatt's above are they limited-service and extended stay brands. There isn't a full-service Hyatt brand hotel in the city, but I'm not sure they're doing that well, and are relying on the Hyatt Place expansion at the moment.

I could see Intercontinental coming to Uptown. Also, one of the Kimpton brands would be a strong choice. The Hilton was built to accomodate a second adjacent tower, so I wouldn't be surprised if that went forward.

The hotel presence in uptown Charlotte is horrible. I have clients visiting from Singapore and they are having problems finding a decently-priced hotel uptown. Every hotel seems to charge over $230/night because the demand is so great, while my clients are restricted to a $150/night budget from their government (it's like GSA per diem). Half of the hotels are sold out uptown over a month in advance. I am actually going around the country to Las Vegas, San Antonio, and Kansas City to visit other client sites with these folks before I bring them to Charlotte, and the hotel prices in the other cities have been around $130 to stay downtown (or on the strip in Vegas) in a nice hotel. But when they visit our offices in Charlotte, I have to put them up off the interstate somewhere because of the prices. Even the Blake was over $150, and who the $#%! would want to stay there knowing what a dump it is?

I also ran into this in the past with having clients from Baltimore come to Charlotte to visit our offices. It's bad when the only hotel their company can not only afford, but just book, is out out on Tyvola. They booked 3 weeks in advance and there was not a single room uptown available on an uneventful tuesday night. We had a good night uptown after our day-long meeting, but rather than walking to their hotel at the end of the night, they had to take a $20 cab to a hotel on Tyvola.

From the Hyatt website:

Hyatt Summerfield Suites - Charlotte Airport

4920 South Tryon Street

Opening Nov 1, 2007

Hyatt Place Charlotte/City Park

4119 South Stream Boulevard

Opening Fall 2007

Hyatt Place Charlotte Airport/Tyvola Road

2950 Oak Lake Boulevard

Opening 2008

Hyatt Place Charlotte/Arrowood

7900 Forest Point Boulevard

For what it's worth, Charlotte obviously doesn't have the weekend demand.....I'm staying at the Westin this weekend for just $135/night....it was $240 for Thursday, so my wife (who is going a day ahead of me) is staying at the Marriott which is a much more reasonable $139. All full-service hotels downtown besides the Marriott were over $200 for Thursday, but all under $150 for Friday and Saturday.

The Hall of Fame should help boost weekend occupancy.

Archived