Looking for the perfect small town near Columbia

mjescobar

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blythewood might work, but there aren't small schools in Richland County, and Blythewood doesn't really have that small town feel to it (at least not to me). Problem is that there really aren't small towns in northeastern Richland County.

I would suggest Ridgeway. Nice little town just north of the county line in Fairfield. Very small. About 10 mintues north of Blythewood, so probably 20 minutes to Farrow Rd. Schools aren't as good in Farfield County though.

Welcome!

What is your desired commute distance and/or drive time?

Anything within the 30 minute range from there is still going to pretty much keep you within the sprawlburbs. These are good areas, of course... just not quaint small towns like it sounds like you're looking for... Lexington and Blythewood (the latter is much closer to your work) are prime examples. Both have a somewhat rural thing going on, but growth is strong and traffic reflects that.

If you're willing to drive about an hour... which is kind of crazy to me, but it's not so bad if you've lived somewhere like L.A., I suppose... there are great small town options like Newberry or Chester.

If you are open to a more urban setting, I'd suggest checking out the West Columbia/Cayce area. Small town vibe... big city amenities.

Hands down, no contest. How could everyone have overlooked it until now? Must see to believe. Very small, so very, very quaint it's unreal. Easy access to Columbia. But, of course, Ridgeway, in Fairfield County, well south of Winnsboro, just up the road from Richland County.

Camden seems to be the only real viable option and still be considered a true small town (I agree - Blythewood is a town rapidly being swallowed by suburban sprawl, for better or for worse). It's probably outside the 30-minute commute envelope, but closer than any other Greater Midlands alternative like Newberry (my personal favorite), etc. Plus Kershaw County schools, while definitely not quite as good as those in Northeast Richland, are still pretty decent, especially compared to Fairfield County (I do know the Elgin/Lugoff area schools can hold their own against the average Richland County school).

Ridgeway and Winnsboro are in Fairfield County. If public schools are a consideration - reconsider. The public primary schools are good enough, but secondary are NOT. My son was reared in Fairfield. We sent him to the private school until he insisted on attending the public high school.

Rough socially. He did not get a quality education, but then he was never great scholar material.

Ridgeway is a delightful community. Winnsboro - um, to put it politely: if your ancestors haven't resided in their cemeteries for a hundred years you will always be a newcomer.

Even though it has grown hugely since I lived there, I would suggest looking into Blythewood. Smaller community than the Boro and better schools.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived