All Saints Square

Florida

TALLAHASSEE

All Saints Square

All Saints Square- Coca-Cola Building

St Michael Street and All Saints Street

Tallahassee, Florida 32301

gallery_3748_8_243547.jpg

Historic Coca-Cola Building Redevelopment proposed by The Winchester Brothers.

• 42 Live/Work Lofts

• 3,150 sq.ft. Restaurant Space

• 3,150 sq.ft. Club Space

• Five - 900 sq.ft. Retail Spaces

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I certainly hope so. The big question of course will be how the numbers work out for potential purchasers that these are obviously catering to and competing with other projects for pre-construction sales (example: Adams Street Lofts was an existing conversion, and there is a unsold loft unit on Craigslist right now priced at $247 per sq. ft.). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works out b/c this is such a neat and unique area.

• 1 month later...

Ensley: The old Coke plant could help revive All Saints

By Gerald Ensley

DEMOCRAT SENIOR WRITER

The All Saints plant, used for decades by a meat-packing company, has sat idle for many years. This fall, the old ice house was demolished because it was an environmental hazard. But if Winchester is successful, the site will be reborn.

"If there is a use it can be put to, it would be a shame to tear down anything as solid as that (Coca-Cola) building," said Bill Carraway, Lively's grandson and longtime vice president of the bottling company. "It definitely has history. I'd love somebody to save it."

Winchester wants to restore the bottling plant to house a restaurant, community center and apartments. He wants to build two adjacent buildings, primarily for residential units.

He wants to re-create the famous three-story clock tower. It once stood nearby at 815 S. Macomb St., home of architect Calvin Phillips, who built the tower about 1911. It was demolished in the early 1980s.

Winchester expects to complete all the permitting in a few months, but it will be late 2008 or 2009 before construction starts. Like many, Winchester awaits the city's redevelopment of Gaines Street to spur economic investment.

But he is adamant the Coca-Cola building should be saved.

"This would be the signature and anchor for All Saints," Winchester said. "As best we can, we're going to try to make it happen."

Read the Whole Thing

Ensley: The old Coke plant could help revive All Saints

By Gerald Ensley

DEMOCRAT SENIOR WRITER

The All Saints plant, used for decades by a meat-packing company, has sat idle for many years. This fall, the old ice house was demolished because it was an environmental hazard. But if Winchester is successful, the site will be reborn.

"If there is a use it can be put to, it would be a shame to tear down anything as solid as that (Coca-Cola) building," said Bill Carraway, Lively's grandson and longtime vice president of the bottling company. "It definitely has history. I'd love somebody to save it."

Winchester wants to restore the bottling plant to house a restaurant, community center and apartments. He wants to build two adjacent buildings, primarily for residential units.

He wants to re-create the famous three-story clock tower. It once stood nearby at 815 S. Macomb St., home of architect Calvin Phillips, who built the tower about 1911. It was demolished in the early 1980s.

Winchester expects to complete all the permitting in a few months, but it will be late 2008 or 2009 before construction starts. Like many, Winchester awaits the city's redevelopment of Gaines Street to spur economic investment.

But he is adamant the Coca-Cola building should be saved.

"This would be the signature and anchor for All Saints," Winchester said. "As best we can, we're going to try to make it happen."

Read the Whole Thing

I really hope that this project comes together, and I like that the developer chose to work with the same architect (Conn & Assoc.) on this building that was responsible for doing the work on the other newer developments in the All Saints area (Cloisters, etc.)- should make for a nice continuous development scheme for the area.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ALL SAINTS SQUARE

All Saints Square, a condominium housing development led by Winchester Brothers Planning and Development, LLC, submitted a partnership proposal to the City to be able to apply for $5,000,000 in CWHIP funding. The developers propose a 42-unit development of 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, and 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom loft-style units, on the corner of All Saints and St. Michael

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm so glad you like All Saints Square -- M. Conn did a lovely job with the conceptual renderings. I'm Karen & I'm the Project Director for All Saints @ CWHIP (Community Workforce Hoising Innovation Pilot Program) -- which selected Tallahassee -- and All Saints to recived $5 million in construction subsidies to help make these 42 units affordable for "Essential Services Personnel" (more on this later).

What is really exciting for us is that this development will really embody some concepts of green building and urban infill that seem to be all the buzz these days, but will make this downtown neighborhood truly walkable for those who want to kick the commute. I have lived in Myers Park for 8 years & really, really love this part of town.

We are also delighted to point out that this state wide competitive grant cycle was established to preference (thus to help) "high cost & high growth" counties. Since Leon county was ranked "tier 3" in both of these categories, we had to make up a substantial number of points (that we had to stipulate because of our location in N. Florida) in the "Innovation" category. All Saints Square is the only project that scored 100 out of 100 points for "Innovation" (more on this later ;) and we are the only project to win funding north of Tampa or Orlando! We have faced some awesome (as in "extremely daunting") obstacles thus far, but we are thrilled to still be in this thing.

The effect of this HUGE RECOGNITION of the concept that All Saints can contribute to T-town's downtown character (AND incorportate an historic structure in adaptive re-use . . . we're *so green* we even recycle whole buildings!) is that when we safely cruise through (cross your fingers if you believe in that sort of thing) the appeals & credit underwriting process (lengthy & complex), then we can begin constructing one of the coolest digs in town. I know this board discourages mention of pre-sale, but I should say that we are contempating that portion of the building cycle in the coming weeks & you may certainly feel free to ask me more -- preferably at my : karenaviva [at] hot [mail] .com account.

We are seeking City & County employees (esp. EMTs & law enforcement, but certainly not limited), teachers (& professors) & hospital employees (in any medical-type job) as residents -- these units will house those who work in jobs "essential" to Tallahassee's economy (ask if you want to know more) & who might like to benefit from having a mortgage substantially below a unit built for the regulated free market ;)

I'll save some details about what we think All Saints will be for future posts -- the project will always be evolving (even after built, I'm sure!) I worked with Dan Winchester 10 years ago on his first County Commission campaign & we remain friends (even after the CWHIP process!) and I will personally pledge to give every attention to any ideas you may have -- as our "eyes on the street" -- we would love to learn what you think is of value -- this has been very much a "bottom up" project in every sense.

Thanks for letting me be here . . . I'll lay low if you'd like or blather away if you'd rather!

Karen, All Saints Square @ CWHIP

Archived