Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

We will see how serious they are tomorrow about making it to the playoffs when we play Orlando. Lose and I say forget about the playoffs. We've done it all season, win 1 or 2 and then lose to a team we shouldn't. We will see their mental readiness tomorrow. I personally think it's a little too late even though we're only 3.5 games back but those teams in front of us like the bucks, chicago and heat are hot lately.  1: we must win every single home game, no excuses (hornets have the cavs and Celtics at home, they have to pull one of those out).  2: they have a tough away schedule too but they have to manage some wins away. 3: must beat the teams in the 8th 9th 10th spot (bucks and heat left on schedule).  

This season hasn't clicked that much really, so I don't personally see it happening. I would love to see it happen, even as the 8th seed. I thoroughly enjoy nba playoff basketball and the excitement it brings to the city, esp after a disappointing panthers season. 

• Like 1

Big home game against the Cavs tonight, will be in the nosebleeds tonight lol.  This would be a huge win and I think it's achievable...Cavs have 3 games in 4 days.  One being a nationally televised game against #3 Wizards tomorrow.  I would not be surprised to see some of their starters sit out this game (cough LeBron, although I could still see him play because he usually puts up crazy numbers against us), they have been known to do that. The 8th, 9th, 10th teams are losing games, we are on a winning streak.  Win this game and the one on Sunday (another home game) and things could get interesting. 

4 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Big home game against the Cavs tonight, will be in the nosebleeds tonight lol.  This would be a huge win and I think it's achievable...Cavs have 3 games in 4 days.  One being a nationally televised game against #3 Wizards tomorrow.  I would not be surprised to see some of their starters sit out this game (cough LeBron, although I could still see him play because he usually puts up crazy numbers against us), they have been known to do that. The 8th, 9th, 10th teams are losing games, we are on a winning streak.  Win this game and the one on Sunday (another home game) and things could get interesting. 

Agreed, this is when we really need a home court advantage. We need to get The Hive really going for this playoff push.

Safe to say tonight is the biggest night for the Hornets playoff chances. At home against the Bucks (who we also play once more on the road) who are 4 games in front of them in 6th and Pistons and Heat playing each other, so one has to lose. Best out come tonight Hornets win and Pistons win.  

• 4 weeks later...

The Hornets are swapping locations for the Fan Shop and Box office at the arena. The new fan shop will have about 1,000 more sqft. Hopefully this unclogs the entrances some because that area around the box office can get overcrowded pretty easily when everyone is trying to get in at once. Also this will open up the fan shop. It tends to get slammed pretty hard before and after games.

http://www.nba.com/hornets/press-releases/hornets-sports-entertainment-announces-plans-switch-locations-spectrum-center-box

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

New city edition uniforms out today.  This season has been such a disaster that I really don't care.  I do want to go on the record:  I hate Buzz City!  We're the Queen City, the QC or even CLT.  We are not Buzz City.  Such a dumb ad exec invention that people have embraced.  For me, professional sports are all about the place and not the nickname.  I wish the team emphasized Charlotte and de-emphasized Hornets...

• Like 3

The franchise blows.  The only thing going for it is the Hornets brand, and even that’s starting to be destroyed.

We’ve lost nearly 700 of 1100 games since the return of NBA to Charlotte and I don’t see any bright spots in our future.  Not one.

So it’s a good thing they have a uniform coming out, because it’s about the only thing worth celebrating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dale said:

And just like that they beat the Warriors.

Two observations:

1.  If they defended like that every night they would win a lot more games

2.  Near the end, they said Hornets have played the toughest schedule in the league based on opponent's winning percentage.  Remaining games, they have the easiest schedule in the league based on the same measure.  There is reason to believe their record will improve going forward.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

Sexy 

99EAD499-8DA4-4532-B0DF-FD36DBE68DA1.jpeg

Yuck. I Miss when they were more personal, three dimensional, and flashy. Even if that was a product of a different era of design I miss it. They used to have so much going on, but in a good way.

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Yuck. I Miss when they were more personal, three dimensional, and flashy. Even if that was a product of a different era of design I miss it. They used to have so much going on, but in a good way.

Unfortunately I think this is more indicative of what the NBA  thinks of when it thinks “Charlotte”, than the NBA shifting its All-Star logos.

I suppose we will find out when the 2020 logo comes out for Chicago. 

5 hours ago, J-Rob said:

To me the NBA logo is just disproportionately large, particularly compared to prior years.  The blue/red scheme clashes with teal/purple.

I mean, this basically is an NBA logo with “Charlotte” and a crown added.

They added a star and a basketball.  How lazy and uninspired is that crap.

Edited by ah59396

On 2/1/2018 at 11:42 AM, Jayvee said:
On 2/1/2018 at 7:10 PM, SouthEndCLT811 said:

To be fair, while underwhelming it's along the same template as this year.  May be more an NBA thing than a critique on Charlotte

x370bjwO.jpg

99EAD499-8DA4-4532-B0DF-FD36DBE68DA1.jpeg

Looks like the NBA updated their style guide and made some changes on the scale of the NBA logo in relation to the other elements.  Yuk.   

1 hour ago, dylansukkert said:

So the Hornets seems to be okay with mediocrity.

If you're referring to not making a big splash by the 3pm deadline today...i didn't expect them to do anything too crazy aka a Kemba trade. This is Cho's last season (MJ doesn't want him doing anything too drastic). More than likely we miss the playoffs this year unfortunately. Philly is playing decent and in the 8th and Detroit is in the 9th but recently acquired Blake Griffin, playing lights out. With no postseason appearance, Cho will be gone and a new GM will come in and assess the talent. I am looking forward to Kemba making the all star team when it's in charlotte next season. 

*Just announced, kemba is selected as a reserve all star! Kemba is the man. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz

48 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

If you're referring to not making a big splash by the 3pm deadline today...i didn't expect them to do anything too crazy aka a Kemba trade. This is Cho's last season (MJ doesn't want him doing anything too drastic). More than likely we miss the playoffs this year unfortunately. Philly is playing decent and in the 8th and Detroit is in the 9th but recently acquired Blake Griffin, playing lights out. With no postseason appearance, Cho will be gone and a new GM will come in and assess the talent. I am looking forward to Kemba making the all star team when it's in charlotte next season. 

*Just announced, kemba is selected as a reserve all star! Kemba is the man. 

I've been a season ticket holder for 8 years and we've always been mediocre. Only had 3 playoff game wins and never won a series. I think they are going to see a sharp decline in season ticket holders next season. Just not much value in it.

25 minutes ago, dylansukkert said:

I've been a season ticket holder for 8 years and we've always been mediocre. Only had 3 playoff game wins and never won a series. I think they are going to see a sharp decline in season ticket holders next season. Just not much value in it.

Can't disagree on any point.  That said, very glad they didn't trade Kemba.  He makes the team worth watching and he's a great guy (and loves Charlotte).  I think they well play much better after the ASG but even if they get the 8 seed (unlikely), they won't win a series (again).  The solution isn't tanking though.  They could have drafted great players EVERY year at their draft position.  They passed on Kawhi Leonard, Devin Booker, Bradley Beal, etc, and picked Monk instead of Donovan Mitchell this year.  The could be great if they evaluated players better.  They don't need the #1 pick to improve.

Now that the All-Star week has wrapped up in LA (which seemed very successful), I am now looking forward to hosting it next year.  I really hope we (the city) study up on how other cities execute this great week and maybe take some tips/suggestions on how to make this a truly wonderful week.  One thing I noticed this week:

·         They utilized LA’s convention center a lot for events which is really convenient for them since it’s right next door to Staples Center.  Our convention center isn’t too far from Spectrum, but it is farther away.

·         This could be a great time to utilize any one of those empty lots around Spectrum Center and create like an NBA Village, consisting of shops and entertainment.

·         And/or make a First Ward Park an NBA village fully set up with a stage for performances.

·         I know Spectrum Center underwent some renovations/upgrades to prep for the 2017 bid, but can we expect any additional upgrades by 2019?  The jumbotron and the new team store are the biggest ones I can think of.

·         If we don’t test out 3 car trains for the light rail this year for football, may be a good idea to have it available by All-Star week (depending upon platform capability).

·         Just for fun, but I’ve always wondered how we would develop the land where CTC stands (if it were gone).  There are 4 large plots of land (1 including CTC and the other quadrants being where Fahrenheit stands).  If CTC was gone, I’d imagined extending our little entertainment district (Epicentre) and having restaurants/bars/and other touristy stuff.  Basically, a large place people can file out of Spectrum and host large events.  If anyone is familiar with NBC Grill & Brew, imagine that plopped where CTC is.  I truly think CTC is holding back that whole area, but that’s just my opinion.

Overall, I’m pretty excited this event will be here next year showcasing our city!  Lastly, I hope Kemba and maybe some of the others can represent the Hornets during this special week.

*2/20: Step one of the process.  Find new GM.  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article201065424.html.  Said it in an earlier post...MJ didn't want Cho doing anything dramatic in this year's FA bc he knew he wouldn't be here after this season...I have high hopes for a jump in performance next season.

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...