Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

• 3 weeks later...

A friend of mine and I were having a conversation last night about how the Bobcats are effected by the crowd. Since they are pretty young guys (many of whom experienced wild crowds in the winning days of college) I wonder if the lack of energy in the Arena is effecting their game. It always seems like they play better when the stakes are higher - they bring game against teams like the Celtics but barely lose - but then don't bring game against the Bucks (and still lose).

So I'm wondering how the Arena plays into their performance. I wonder if a little pumped in crowd noise would help the game. Tampa Bay Rays do it in MLB. It's not unheard of (although maybe not classy to do).

You know, you joke about that Escapist. But I swear that during one point in the game, it sounded as if cheers were coming from the speakers above the arena. Because I looked around and didn't see anyone cheering at that moment, and yet there was still the subtle sound of fluctuating cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

There's an article in the NY Times about dwindling attendance at NBA games this year across the league (with a few exceptions). An excerpt:

"The Kings are suffering from the twin perils of a poor economy and poor play, with a 7-19 record and no certified stars. The problems are mirrored in Indianapolis, Philadelphia, Minneapolis, Charlotte, N.C., and Memphis, which comprise the bottom fifth of the N.B.A. attendance list."

(Yes, they attached the "N.C.")

The article specifically mentioned the Nov. 3 game between the Bobcats and the Pistons which drew a reported 11,023 fans, but "two-thirds of the seats appeared empty."

Conversely, and ironically (especially given the reason about the economy), the Pistons have sold out 246 consecutive games at the Palace of Auburn Hills and lead the league in home attendance, with 22,076 a game.

I think we all pretty much know that attendance at Bobcats games is dependent on who they're playing. I attended the game against Cleveland Saturday before last and the crowd was pretty healthy.

I've gone to 5 out of the last 9 games (since they traded JRich and Dudley for Raja, Juwan, Singleterry & Diaw). I keep going back because I get cheep seats, live very close, and am really having a great time going - I've noticed in the last 9 games that the crowds have grown and started to really react with some long needed passion. The team play is better because of the trades, and because of the crowds. It's still not LA Lakers crowds, but it's not the same environment that everyone might be referencing from the past. Last Sat night was probably 80% full. I expected Tuesday to be half that, but was surprised by more.

I guess we'll see how it looks in the middle of February, but right now, I am not embarrassed by our NBA team!

I've gone to 5 out of the last 9 games (since they traded JRich and Dudley for Raja, Juwan, Singleterry & Diaw). I keep going back because I get cheep seats, live very close, and am really having a great time going - I've noticed in the last 9 games that the crowds have grown and started to really react with some long needed passion. The team play is better because of the trades, and because of the crowds. It's still not LA Lakers crowds, but it's not the same environment that everyone might be referencing from the past. Last Sat night was probably 80% full. I expected Tuesday to be half that, but was surprised by more.

I guess we'll see how it looks in the middle of February, but right now, I am not embarrassed by our NBA team!

Good to hear about the attendance, Escapists. This is the first year that I haven't made at least one game. Last time I went the crowds were so weak that the cheerleaders were in the crowds practically begging for interaction. If the arena is indeed 80% full, I'll try and make an upcoming game and hopefully the environment will provide a better experience then last time (although I did have a good time last time).

Edited by Andyc545

What does it mean that the Cats can hang-tough/beat the high caliber teams, but still lose to low caliber teams? Well, if they would just let em into the playoffs, maybe they would actually play well, it's getting to the playoffs that seems impossible.

The arena was the fullest I have ever seen it for Cats game (lots of Celtics fans) -but that goes to show that there are enough supportive and interested people in the region for the team to exist.

I hope Panthers pride turns into Charlotte pride and swings around for the Cats once the NFL is done for the year.

Edited by The Escapists

^ Maybe the Bobcats could promote their games on the big screen at BofA Stadium during Panthers games. I'm sure that would help spark interest. On another note, I was checking out some of the new Bobcats hats and I really like the new logos. I think the new, more attractive logos will certainly help market this team as being "cool" and people will help advertise by buying more gear.

• 2 weeks later...

^ Dbull, I'm glad I've got you here. For all the talk we have about the design and function of the Arena, it's nice to know that at least two of us are fans. The arena transcends it's political implications and design oversights on a night like last night!!!! Wallace is a STUD. Okafor finally figured out where to be useful. Bell and Diaw are doing what they need to be doing (moving the ball). I think Felton will get replaced by Augestine eventually. And the Diop pickup looks like a smart move.

I wonder if the embittered taxpayer will respond to this Arena once the Cats make a run at it! I think it's huge to put on a show like that on a Saturday night at home infront of 17,000. That's how you sell a franchise to the public.

I know this thread is about the Bobcats AND the Arena...I'm not a big fan of the NBA, so the Bobcats don't mean a lot to me though I hope they do really well. That being said, I do love going to hockey games at the arena and love the fact that this facility has many uses and is in use many dates of the year.