Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

In online version of the O, there would be 5 user comments after a game. 3 of which would still be complaining about the arena being built.

:rofl: Yeah people for some really strange reason have yet to get over this and it's downright pathetic at this point.

Just got back from the game a little bit ago... Another fantastic display by the Bobcats. Miami was never really in the game at all. The Heat's Michael Beasley predicted "an easy win" before the game... Guess he's munching on that after a 39 point beat down. Now 21-19 and we hold an important tiebreaker over the Heat. Head down to TWC Arena on Saturday night if you don't have plans... They play the Magic. Go 'Cats!!!

I took my older son to the Heat game last night for his first NBA game....maybe he is a good luck charm. The game was so lopsided that the crowd never seemed in it......when you are up by 20, there isn't need to make a lot of noise I guess. It was sad to see the arena only half full for the final game of a 6 game homestand considering how they were playing.

Simply put, the Bobcats are the 2nd best team in the league right now after the Lakers. Besides getting complacent in the 4thQ against the Kings, the Bobcats haven't even had a serious challenge in 5 games.

I'm crossing my fingers for the Hawks, as that will show if we are for-real on the road, (a.k.a. can make it anywhere in the playoffs)

I was at the Suns game (where the Bobcats had 70 points at halftime, which was awesome) and witnessed that win, but just found out how bad of a whopping the Cats put on the Heat. Unbelievable. I think it's going to take a strong playoff performance before we start seeing more in attendance. But as for right now, I'm proud of the hometown team!

Everyone outside of Charlotte seems to have taken notice of the bobcats success. NBA.com had 3 different articles today having to do with the Bobcats success (whether it be Wallace, Brown or the Bobcast themselves), and ESPN and SI threw in one as well. Hollinger has us ranked at 4th (http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings) and his formula has us the second most likely to make it to the finals in the east. We are on an absolute tear, I just hope we cn continue our success on the road!

Edit: I need to add that after seeing Sports Illustrated's projects for reserves, as well as 4 other peoples that if Gerald Wallace does not make it as an all star, it will be the snub of the century. (nobody thinks this guy shouldn't make it)

Edited by Guest

Even locally, the Bobcats are getting more press than I can ever remember. The local sports station (WFNZ) constantly talks about them. Blogs, fan pages, etc are showing up everywhere. They even had one of TNT's top analysts call into WFZN this morning to give insight to the Bobcats success this season and their chances in the playoffs. And yes, Wallace should be an All-Star without a doubt. Hope that the momentum just keeps going...

Even locally, the Bobcats are getting more press than I can ever remember. The local sports station (WFNZ) constantly talks about them. Blogs, fan pages, etc are showing up everywhere. They even had one of TNT's top analysts call into WFZN this morning to give insight to the Bobcats success this season and their chances in the playoffs. And yes, Wallace should be an All-Star without a doubt. Hope that the momentum just keeps going...

I figure we need to keep our winning ways going til next thursday when they announce the reserves, then hes a definate shoe in, I haven't seen a single all star reserve "prediction" so far that does not include Gerald Wallace, which is SO exciting! The last time I was this excited about an all star was Baron Davis, how sad is that!

The Bobcats are doing pretty damn good, but second best in the league?! Right now, Atlanta is killing them in Atlanta, which is there problem - they can't win on the road. After tonight's debacle they are sitting at a 3-16 road record. You won't make it very far in the playoffs if you can't win on the road, assuming you make the playoffs. And while they are 5th in the East, when you look at the league as a whole, the Bobcats have the 16th best record. That's not even the top half of the league.

I am all for the Bobcats, but I think a few of us having been drinking a little too much of the kool aid :thumbsup: .

The Bobcats are doing pretty damn good, but second best in the league?! Right now, Atlanta is killing them in Atlanta, which is there problem - they can't win on the road. After tonight's debacle they are sitting at a 3-16 road record. You won't make it very far in the playoffs if you can't win on the road, assuming you make the playoffs. And while they are 5th in the East, when you look at the league as a whole, the Bobcats have the 16th best record. That's not even the top half of the league.

I am all for the Bobcats, but I think a few of us having been drinking a little too much of the kool aid :thumbsup: .

I'm not sure that we've been drinking too much kool-aid. I think part of it is that they got so hot at home that they forgot what it's like to play on the road. Hopefully the Atlanta game was a wake up call for the Bobcats. They just can't turn the ball over like they did and expect to win. A true telltale for the Cats will be the upcoming 6 game road trip out west. I'd consider going 3-3 a win for them. Anything better is icing on the cake. Let's just hope that Felton's ankle injury isn't overly bad.

Ok, summary of my first Bobcats game:

Organ music? Rly?

Wow, actually some pretty decent techno music...

Way more fun than I was expecting, especially the fourth quarter.

Worst. Overtime. Ever. Apparently the 'Cats thought they were done after finally tying the game at the end of the fourth.

Oh, and I was just feet from Ric Flair. WHAOOOO

Ok, summary of my first Bobcats game:

Organ music? Rly?

Wow, actually some pretty decent techno music...

Way more fun than I was expecting, especially the fourth quarter.

Worst. Overtime. Ever. Apparently the 'Cats thought they were done after finally tying the game at the end of the fourth.

Oh, and I was just feet from Ric Flair. WHAOOOO

Organ music is typical at just about any pro sports game... especially basketball and hockey. NFL, not so much.

OT sucked yea. I think the Cats were out of gas at that point. They rallied from 16 down and both Felton and Wallace were playing on sprained ankles. Orlando is a tough team to run with, much less rally against.

I just saw a Bobcats commercial on tv last night and they definitely need a new marketing strategy. It was just this monotone commercial with no pull to it.

Part of getting butts in the seats is getting people excited about the team, and they've got the goods right now to do that. I think they could really take advantage of this in a good way right now.

Unless you live in NYC or Chicago, you really don't see "professional" commercial ads that scream big city or big team. The best advertisement the Bobcats can do is what they are doing now... winning. It also helps that Gerald Wallace made the All-Star team and is in the Slam Dunk competition. That in itself has people excited.

Unless you live in NYC or Chicago, you really don't see "professional" commercial ads that scream big city or big team. The best advertisement the Bobcats can do is what they are doing now... winning. It also helps that Gerald Wallace made the All-Star team and is in the Slam Dunk competition. That in itself has people excited.

I respectfully disagree with your two main points:

I don't think you need to live in NYC or Chicago to have great sports advertising. It also doesn't need to be slick at all, if that is what you are implying, but it sure as hell has to do a better job of outreach to fans, and more importantly, those who are not fans - both about the team itself and their current season. (sorry for the run on sentence).

I also disagree that just having a great season and Wallace in the All-Star is enough to get people excited... at least not enough for the non-fans.

I've mentioned the non-fans twice as I think that's the problem with the Bobcats and their marketing, and the greater problem with the team's perception in the Carolinas: There is no outreach to make fans out of non-fans. I'm not talking about people who are always going to have an affinity to another team, but the people who are in the area and just have no connection with the team and could support them but just don't feel the love for or from them.

Don't get me wrong, The actual players are doing their job and that is what they need to do, but the marketing needs to their job promote that and get MORE people excited about it.

I hope this clarifies.

Edited by Urbanity

I've mentioned the non-fans twice as I think that's the problem with the Bobcats and their marketing and the greater problem with the team's perception in the Carolinas. There is no outreach to make fans out of non-fans. I'm not talking about people who are always going to have an affinity to another team, but the people who are in the area and just have no connection with the team and could support them but just don't feel the love for or from the team.

I often think about the Hurricanes. I don't know anything about them. I never see anything about them. And they are our "local" team. NC has a real dilemma with unifying it's cities. I couldn't feel more disconnected with Raleigh than I do. And I'm sure that's the case with them and the Bobcats.

I respectfully disagree with your two main points:

I don't think you need to live in NYC or Chicago to have great sports advertising. It also doesn't need to be slick at all, if that is what you are implying, but it sure as hell has to do a better job of outreach to fans, and more importantly, those who are not fans - both about the team itself and their current season. (sorry for the run on sentence).

I also disagree that just having a great season and Wallace in the All-Star is enough to get people excited... at least not enough for the non-fans.

I've mentioned the non-fans twice as I think that's the problem with the Bobcats and their marketing, and the greater problem with the team's perception in the Carolinas: There is no outreach to make fans out of non-fans. I'm not talking about people who are always going to have an affinity to another team, but the people who are in the area and just have no connection with the team and could support them but just don't feel the love for or from them.

Don't get me wrong, The actual players are doing their job and that is what they need to do, but the marketing needs to their job promote that and get MORE people excited about it.

I hope this clarifies.

I think you mis-interpreted what I said. You don't HAVE to live in NYC or Chicago to have great sports marketing. But typically, I've seen some of the more creative sports marketing in those cities. Of course, they have also had their teams for decades where we have not. I'm sure the Bobcats could have very creative marketing, but considering they are on a shoestring budget they don't spend a lot of their money there. What I would love to see is something like an ad for Gerald Wallace showing his All-Star selection in place of the AT&T Billboard at the Epicenter that's been there for well over a year. Something as simple as that could get more people excited.