Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

Again, I wasn't a fan of changing the name, but I think Johnson's latest rant just probably moved a whole lot of people towards the "let's get rid of the 'bob' cats moniker and start clean" camp.

Totally agree. The online poll the Observer did a week ago or so showed that 70% of those responding wanted a name change. Post the Johnson rant, I wouldn't be surprised if that number is closer to 85-90%. Time to wipe the slate clean and get Bob's name out of our memory banks.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a full arena WAVE tonight at the Bobcats game (10-15 full revolutions around the arena). ON A TUESDAY NIGHT! AMAZING!!

Ha, that's awesome. I wasn't able to go b/c I'm out of town, but my buddy that goes to the games with me sent me text messages about this last night. 41 wins strong now! Go Bobcats!

I can't help but feel a sense of irony that it was us beating the hornets that got us a spot in the playoffs.

It couldn't have happend to a better franchise... 1st playoff berth for the Cats versus the franchise that left this city and is now in a bit of an identity crisis itself (Shinn is looking to sell the team). Go Bobcats! Can't wait to get my playoff tix!

• 2 weeks later...

Lost the first home game. TO FREE THROWS!!!!

I know, I know - we made it to the play-offs. yadda yadda yadda.

I would have liked to see them win at least one game though.

Monday doesn't count unless we are Boston in the '04 series.

Damn. Just Damn.

Edited by Urbanity

Sorry to see that Bocats couldn't render at least one win in the series with Orlando. The Magic were just a much better team and the Cats couldn't match up with their 3 point shooting. Would not be suprisd to see them back in the Finals this year. Though it was great to see packed houses for Games 3 and 4 that were filled with energy. Basketball is definitely back in the city of Charlotte. Can't wait until next season. Hopefully they can built on this year (and acquire some one that drop 3 pointers).

I really think this is the start of something good for the city and the team. Jordan is a visible owner, who visibly pushes for the team to succeed as well as for it to build on the relationship it has with the city. The fact that the team sold out its only playoff games is quite a feat, and I think the economic impact from those two games is going to be a great sign about the viability of the team. I think we are about to see a greater appreciation between the city and the team. Here's to the 2010-2011 season!

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since we've had some Bobcats news, so I thought I'd update this thread a little bit:

1) The Cats have been very active on the trade front lately. There was a deal to send Boris Diaw and Tyson Chandler to Toronto for PG Jose Calderon (and another player). This would have given them a nice option offensively, however I think Jose was a defensive liability. But, management got cold feet and backed out. I think they really didn't want to take on Jose's contract.

2) Since #1 fell through, they went ahead and traded Chandler (and Alexis Ajincia, their failed experiment from France) for 3 players, one of whom is former Bobcat Matt Carroll. He was a solid bench player when here, so glad to see him back. The other good part of this deal, aside from getting rid of Tyson Chandler's contract is they picked up Erick Dampier who has a large ($13 million) non-guaranteed contract. This is good because NBA contracts are typically guaranteed. Now they have financial flexibility towards the salary cap (they can trade his rights to someone else and they would be rid of that $13 towards the cap) that they didn't have before so a potential big trade could be in the works. So fingers crossed on that one. Would love for it to be Chris Paul, but that's dreaming.

3) Season ticket sales have picked up greatly this year. They have almost 1,400 new season ticket holders and retention rate of over 85% at this point with a few months still to go. Compare that with this time last year of ~350 new season ticket holders and 55% retention rate and you can tell that's some series progress. Amazing what a winning season, new owner and better prices can do.

• 3 months later...

Let's bring it back to the top! Dbull, where you at?

Tonight is the first (and only) pre-season game at TWC (the others were held in other NC cities).

And Monday evening at 6pm is an open practice/autograph opportunity.

First official game is Wednesday in Dallas; and first home game is Friday Oct 29.

If you haven't followed all the changes from the off season - Felton is gone to the Knicks and DJ is our starter - Tyson was traded to Dallas to relieve his overblown contract in favor of Matt Carroll's overblown contract (which was our fault in the first place! - note: he looks less like Ben Folds now that he used to).

Bobcats have a new/old marketing firm with Boone Oakley. And a new/old TV deal with Fox Sports South (good for locals within 50 miles of Charlotte, bad for Raleigh etc who will compete for coverage of the Canes).

I'll start the chant...LETS GO CATS!

Haha... I'm right here. Stoked about the upcoming season. I actually bit the bullet and got a pair of full season tickets this year after only doing partials before. They had an event at TWC arena the other night for new full season ticket holders (which btw the Bobcats have a whopping 2,000+ new full season ticket holders, and over 94% renewal from last year). I was able to score some autographs from DJ and Tyrus too and they gave us a tour of the facilities which was very cool. I've watched a few of their preseason games thus far and they've looked pretty good overall. I think DJ may end up being very solid for us Point Guard this year. I'll probably head over to that open practice on Monday night. Unfortunately I have a scheduling conflict tonight and can't make the pre-season game. Go Cats!!!

Oh, BTW... For anyone that's interested, on Sunday morning as a part of tailgating for the Panthers game, the Bobcats will be holding a dunk contest for any willing participants (relax, the goal will only be 7, maybe 8 feet high). Rufus is expected to be there along with some of the LadyCats (my personal favorite :)). They'll be giving away some stuff and I believe tickets to upcoming home games. I'm not sure exactly on when they will be there. I'm guessing between 10-11. It will be near the 3rd and Poplar. This was set up by a friend of a friend... Now hopefully the Panthers can find a way to win! :thumbsup:

Nice article in the WSJ on his airness' new role as team owner (and his tendency to hang out at Selwyn pub):

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303467004575574501798917406.html?mod=WSJ_hps_RIGHTTopCarousel_1#printMode

While he was a dominant force on the court during his 15-year NBA career, Mr. Jordan's net worth, compared with other owners in the league, puts him securely in the second string.

The article does settle some of the price questions that arose after the purchase (he assumed $185 million in debt and paid $55 million to buy out minority partners)

A good read.