Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

I went with my wife and some friends to the Coldplay concert last night at TWC Arena. I only casually listened to them before, but I was amazed by the performance they put on. Easily one of the top 5 concerts I can recall seeing (and I've seen a lot dating back to the late 1980s).

I was lucky enough to see them at Grady Cole Center about 10 years ago. I'm not much one for arena shows, but being so up close to see them in the equivalent of a high-school gymnasium was amazing!!!! I don't know if any arena show could compare to the close-up experience I got then (and I liked Coldplay's older stuff a lot better, so they have kind of faded off of my musical radar lately). I'm sure it was still a heck of a show, though. And I do agree that you'd think they would know what to prepare for. How much of a dent in their profit is a few more $8/hour jobs going to make?

• 3 months later...

I thought this was interesting, but the Bobcats are considering playing more games outside of Charlotte, after having a sold-out house in Raleigh. Some of the potential locations are the PNC Arena in Raleigh, UNC Chapel Hill, and Greensboro Coliseum. I could see this being beneficial to ticket sales. Right now, the team is limited to only two games outside of Charlotte.

http://www.charlotte...n-triangle.html

I think the Bobcats playing a game or two elsewhere in the Carolinas is a good thing for marketing of the team. The Packers used to play 2 games a year in Milwaukee and the Celtics used to play some games in Hartford, CT so this isn't a new idea. As a season ticket holder though, I'd like to see the favor returned where the Hurricanes play a regular season game here. I'm not really a hockey fan, but think it's only fair. As far as the Bobcats game almost being sold out in Raleigh, as mentioned by Escapists, they are playing the Miami Heat. Doesn't take a genius to figure out more people will be there to see the Heat play. If they were playing someone like the Atlanta Hawks or Philadelphia 76ers it wouldn't be doing as well I'd imagine.

I wish we could just swap the Bobcats for the Canes...Unfortunately TWC is basketball specific and would not be a good hockey venue.

I want Both. :whistling: Lets trade the Hounds for the Hurricanes.

Yes, We should have a Couple Hurricane games, but honestly, I really love my Charlotte Checkers.

TWC is really not a good hockey venue. Between the length issue (folding up the baseline bleachers) and the horrible quality glass they use around the rink (it distorts far more than the glass at NHL venues) its just not well suited to NHL.

+1 on the checkers. I am very happy with an AHL team.

The Checkers rock. FYI, the longer this NHL lockout lasts, the better our chances are to see some unbelievable players coming to Charlotte AND playing for the Checkers. A lot of NHL players with 2 way contracts have to play AHL while the lockout is on. I'll for sure be at the OKC game, we may potentially get to see Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle on the ice. Wow.

• 2 weeks later...

I really try to like the arena but.....

Based on the Rush concert tonight (yes, I am old) it appears that Jordan et al. have raised beer prices again (four years in a row). Its now $10 (plus tax) for a 'premium draft' or large 'crappy draft.' Since I did not see the small 'crappy draft' listed on any menu boards it appears that the -cheapest- drink at the arena is now $10.75.

Honestly as a Checkers season ticket holder I find this to be obscene. I have been in lots of major league facilities over the past couple years and _none_ of them had beer that was this expensive. For better or worse I really want a couple of drinks when I go to a game, having to pay over 10 bucks for one is going to seriously discourage me from attending arena events. Price gouging like this is a really good way to encourage people to stay home and watch the game.

Edited by kermit

^I'm amazed that they continue to raise beer prices like that. I have Bobcats season tix and usually have a beer (once in a while two) at the game. In the town hall meetings that they host, the one constant complaint you hear is about concession prices. Yet, they still raise them? Wow. I'll pay $10+ for a large local craft beer (like NoDa or Old Meck), but I'm sure as heck not going to pay that for Bud light. Guess that means I'll have an extra pregame beer somewhere else. I credit them with making ticket prices affordable for sporting events (concerts not so much, but I don't think the arena has a lot of say in that), but it seems like they try to make up for it with the concessions.

Edited by wend28

I went to 4 or 5 Checkers games last season and found the prices to be surprisingly reasonable at that time. Still more expensive than anywhere else I go, but I was braced for $10 buds and didn't see that. I was getting large OMB Coppers for about $8 and strong Makers & Coke's for I think $8.75 or so. This is from the bar/lounge areas and not any standalone beer kiosks.

I assumed they change prices per event so we don't know that they've changed for Checkers games yet, do we?

^I noticed the increase in prices when I went with the wife to see Coldplay over the summer. Now that I think about it, I wonder if they may of just done that for concerts? There could be a reason for that -- I see far more intoxicated people at concerts there then I ever do for sporting events. I'll find out Friday when I go to the to the first Bobcats game of the season.

TWC is really not a good hockey venue. Between the length issue (folding up the baseline bleachers) and the horrible quality glass they use around the rink (it distorts far more than the glass at NHL venues) its just not well suited to NHL.

+1 on the checkers. I am very happy with an AHL team.

I love the Checkers too. My wife and I are huge fans, but I do like the thought of having an NHL team. I just recently found out that the NY islanders are moving to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn which has a seating arangement similar to TWC...

But what are the odds both RDU and CLT have NHL?

Not likely at all. I would just love to see the Canes move from Raleigh to my home town and get rid of the Bobcats. My idea of the perfect sports scenario in Charlotte would be the Panthers, Canes, and an MLB team. Once again it is just a pipe dream.

Edited by cltbwimob

Not likely at all. I would just love to see the Canes move from Raleigh to my home town and get rid of the Bobcats. My idea of the perfect sports scenario in Charlotte would be the Panthers, Canes, and an MLB team. Once again it is just a pipe dream.

Personally, I'm not a hockey fan... I've maybe gone to maybe three Checkers games since I've lived here. But, I'd never say "get rid of them". That's just asinine. Sorry, but you're "stuck" with the Bobcats.

Plus it would be a punishment to move the Canes to Charlotte. They have been a success story and a model for the NHL in the south east.

Any Charlotte sports fan should know, that franchise would just come here to die with all our other TERRIBLE sports franchises.

I agree we do have pro sports franchises that might be more competitive if they played at the high school level

Edited by cltbwimob

Thanks for the enlightenment.

Any time. My point being is that while you may not like a given sport (or team), plenty of others do. There are numerous benefits to these these teams (Panthers, Bobcats, Checkers, Knights, Hounds) being here. One being those that work to support the teams rely on their games for people that drink Kermit's $10 beers, grab a bite to eat beforehand, stay at one of the hotels or sell these guys million dollar homes that we can't afford. While our current pro teams lack winning traditions, it's good to support what we have or at least not wish they disappear into oblivion Hopefully one day through all this losing, we'll be rewarded with a consistent winner(s) that the city and Carolinas can be proud of. If not, I know I'll continue to drink beers in dismay and watch my son still jump up and down for the t-shirts they shoot into the stands.

Any time. My point being is that while you may not like a given sport (or team), plenty of others do. There are numerous benefits to these these teams (Panthers, Bobcats, Checkers, Knights, Hounds) being here. One being those that work to support the teams rely on their games for people that drink Kermit's $10 beers, grab a bite to eat beforehand, stay at one of the hotels or sell these guys million dollar homes that we can't afford. While our current pro teams lack winning traditions, it's good to support what we have or at least not wish they disappear into oblivion Hopefully one day through all this losing, we'll be rewarded with a consistent winner(s) that the city and Carolinas can be proud of. If not, I know I'll continue to drink beers in dismay and watch my son still jump up and down for the t-shirts they shoot into the stands.

Can't agree more. Our franchises are awful but I still scream till I'm blue in the face cheering for them. I died a little bit inside during that panthers loss to Chicago last week.

If the Bobcats can just put an exciting team on the floor I'll be happy. It's bad enough we lost virtually every game last year, it was worse they were boring. I'm hoping MKG and Gordon can bring some fireworks, but I'll have to see it before I believe it.

Fun stat, since 2008, the Carolina panthers have the worst winning percentage in the NFL.

On and the Checkers and Knights I don't really consider as our franchises. They are feeder teams to other city's pro teams. I am happy when they win, but I wouldn't jump up and down if they won the Calder Cup or whatever AAA baseball wins. A panthers Super Bowl? Now that is different.

Edited by ah59396