Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

So last night at the Bobcats game, I bought an OMB Copper. It was $8.50 (actually $4.25 because everything except liquor was half off for opening night). I'm guessing the $10+ beer night was likely due to the concert and is not the prices going forward for all events at the arena.

BTW - Cats got a nice win against a playoff team, the Pacers, last night. Great crowd and was easily the loudest that building has been since their playoff games a few years ago. Even my buddies that went were amazed. They have a long way to go, but hopefully this is the start of the franchise moving in the right direction.

So last night at the Bobcats game, I bought an OMB Copper. It was $8.50 (actually $4.25 because everything except liquor was half off for opening night). I'm guessing the $10+ beer night was likely due to the concert and is not the prices going forward for all events at the arena.

Since I am off to the Checkers opener tomorrow you made my day with this news, thanks for the update.

It was a treat to see the cats get a win.

• 2 weeks later...

Today the NCAA announced that Time Warner Cable Arena will be one of the host venues for the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the 2015 NCAA Men's Basketball tourney. Hopefully Charlotte can again get into the mix for the regional sites in the future, but those are harder to come by as they increasingly go to a city with a retractable roof stadium or larger markets with arena (e.g. LA or Boston).

Don't look now (or do), but the Bobcats are actually not bad and very exciting to watch, even when they lose. Besides the blow-out loss to Mavs at Dallas all four other games have been close and they had a HUGELY dramatic win over the Mavs at home.

I used to turn off games in the 3rd quarter because once they got down by a double digit lead there was no point. This year they don't give up. Granted its early on, and if the season slips away, maybe that changes, BUT MKG is easily the most exciting player the Bobcats have ever had, Gerald Wallce not excluded.

The way Kemba is playing this year and MKG shows that he can play, we have a shot at 2 legit all-stars in a couple of years. We desparately need a help with a real power forward, and this team can become a contender in several years.

Kemba/Sessions

Henderson/Wallace

MKG/Taylor

???/Mullens

Haywood/Biyombo

is not a bad depth chart if you could get a top-10 PF to fill in that ???. Mullens is a great back-up off the bench and does much better playing against 2nd string defenses than 1st string. Plus he provides scoring that you lose when Biyombo is in. Henderson really nees to develop 3-point range though, as none of those starters is consistent from deep.

This team though is something to get excited over and is just a piece or two plus some experience away from being top-4 in the East.

I'm going to the game tomorrow night. I'm buying some sort of Bobcats merchandise. I'm all in for the Bobcats. I like what they are doing and really do see them being the next OKC in 2-3 years. We will still probably finish DFL in the league this year, but if we put a competitive team on the floor and get another top 5 pick (Shabazz Mohammed or Nerlens Noel come to mind) then add another vet in free agency, we are going to be dan-ger-ous.

Don't look now, the Bobcats are 3-3. They flat out whipped the Wizards last night. Hopefully they keep it going.

I was at the game last night as well. They won by 16 but it wasn't even that close (the Wizards are REALLY bad though too). This Bobcats team, especially from a fundamental standpoint, is much better than they've been the last few years. They still need to work on their shot selection, however you're not going to out hustle them very often -- something the Panthers could learn from. They rebound, don't turn the ball over and they just flat out play hard. With the exception of maybe two guys you don't feel like anyone is there collecting a paycheck. I really think Michael Kidd-Gidchrist (MKG) is going to be a special player for this team. If this kid gets his jump shot down, he'll average 25+ pts a game and get double-doubles on a nightly basis.

Edited by wend28

MGK's body control is impressive for a rookie. He's got very good ball skills, and can move through traffic in the air like Derrick Rose can. Kemba is developing better body control this year. Last year he was reckless in the air - looking better this year. We still have a couple players that look like wacky waving-arm-flailing-inflatable-tube-man out there (Tyrus, Diop and Bismack).

• 3 weeks later...

For those that are interested in the name change news... Several media outlets, though it's been speculated for a while, indicated that the New Orleans franchise will be re-branded as the "Pelicans" as soon as next season (yes Pelicans, it's the state bird of Louisiana). Now I'm pretty sure the noise to bring back Hugo and the Hornets back to Charlotte will get even louder pretty soon. Don't expect any immediate comments from the Bobcats and Michael Jordan, but would not be surprised if there's an "announcement" between now and the end of the season if the Pelicans stuff goes through. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--nola-hornets-to-change-nickname-to-pelicans-231227843.html

This will be amazing for Charlotte.  Such an iconic brand likely to return.  Can't wait to buy some Hornets gear for me and the family, even though I never bought a piece of Bobcats anything.  I'm thinking a Walker and MKG jersey for the two boys for Christmas 2013.

For those that are interested in the name change news... Several media outlets, though it's been speculated for a while, indicated that the New Orleans franchise will be re-branded as the "Pelicans" as soon as next season (yes Pelicans, it's the state bird of Louisiana). Now I'm pretty sure the noise to bring back Hugo and the Hornets back to Charlotte will get even louder pretty soon. Don't expect any immediate comments from the Bobcats and Michael Jordan, but would not be surprised if there's an "announcement" between now and the end of the season if the Pelicans stuff goes through. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--nola-hornets-to-change-nickname-to-pelicans-231227843.html

Pelicans!? I mean really....Pelicans!?!? I think that is a terrible name LOL! As long as Charlotte gets the Hornets name back though, its all good!

Louisiana Pelicans doesn't sound bad. New Orleans Pelicans... Maybe they can be nicknamed the Cans... NoLa Cans...? He he.

Anyway, I rather keep the bobcats. The logo, colors, etc. are so fresh and up to date and i think much, much better. Hornets are to reminiscent of the '90s for me. Yes, I'm a horrible Charlotte Born & raised Charlottean... I do wonder what the thousands of transplants and the younger kids would think about changing to the hornets?

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

^This has been discussed here before. I'm of the opinion that the name doesn't matter as much as the on the court performance. It's hard to get excited about a team that has had one playoff appearance in its 8 year existence and is now coming off a historically bad season (but they are remarkably better this year compared to last). However, there are the people that will claim they won't buy a ticket until they change the name from Bobcats to Hornets because of the former owner Bob Johnson, arena vote, etc etc. If they do rename the team, I would love to get a tally of all the people that now buy season tickets because of the name. I'm not 100% convinced that many people actually would despite their claims otherwise. There will be some uptick in sales, yes. But the team isn't going to go from 9,000 season ticket holders to 18,000 over night or however many existed 20 years ago. I'm fine with renaming the team because of the Hornets history. I'd even buy my son a Kemba Walker Hornets jersey. But I would still support them if they were winning and were called the Charlotte Tutus. Just win, that's what matters most. Unless you're the Pelicans of course :)

I don't care what the team is called, but purple and teal are horrible colors born in a decade of horrible fashion decisions.  Can they be the Hornets with the Bobcats colors?

I agree on the colors. Though, I'm ok with swapping out the orange for yellow or gold. But I definitely like the new blue-oriented colors. 

I would bet, even today, if you ask people around the country to name something about Charlotte, they would say the "Charlotte Hornets". It was literally the only brand this city ever managed to get out nationwide.  I lived in Canada before I moved here in the late 90's as a 12 year old and my parents told me we were moving to Charlotte, NC.  All I knew was the Hornets.  Courtesy of NBA Jam and starting LJ and Zo.

^Yea, but that was also a different time too. Will it take on the same "buzz" if the name returns? I have friends that lived here during that time and they haven't watched an NBA game since 2002 and say they still won't because of George Shinn (or so they say). Though, to your point, everyone used to associate the Hornets with Charlotte. I went to high school during the 90s in Richmond, VA and remember lots of kids wearing Hornets gear there. It was probably the closest thing we had to a home team because no one cared about the Bullets (before they were Wizards, yes that dates me a little).  

Edited by wend28

^Yea, but that was also a different time too. Will it take on the same "buzz" if the name returns? I have friends that lived here during that time and they haven't watched an NBA game since 2002 and say they still won't because of George Shinn (or so they say). Though, to your point, everyone used to associate the Hornets with Charlotte. I went to high school during the 90s in Richmond, VA and remember lots of kids wearing Hornets gear there. It was probably the closest thing we had to a home team because no one cared about the Bullets (before they were Wizards, yes that dates me a little).  

I'm a Bobcats fan, and I'll support them regardless.  I just think it'll be better for the franchise and the city, if the team got the Hornets name back.  And like you, I know people that refuse to support the Bobcats until they are the Hornets again.  While silly, that's the way sports allegiances tend to go.  

Plus the Hornets name means something to Charlotte.  Whereas the BOBcats name means we had an owner named Bob one time.

Bring back the Buzz!

Edited by ah59396

I don't care what the team is called, but purple and teal are horrible colors born in a decade of horrible fashion decisions.  Can they be the Hornets with the Bobcats colors?

If you think that teal and purple are awful colors, you might have an argument, however teal and purple in the context of the Charlotte Hornets are iconic and today are a big time fashion statement...If you don't believe me consider this:

1.  One of the people who works for me is not from Charlotte and currently does not live in Charlotte has a Teal and Purple Otterbox for her iPhone.  I asked her about it: she immediately responded that the Charlotte Hornets were her team. 

2.  I spend a lot of time in Virginia due to my job.  I routinely see people wearing Teal and Purple Hornets throwback gear.  I can not recall ever seeing Bobcats gear.  I have visited a couple of hat stores in Virginia, none of which carry Bobcats colors (or NO Hornets gear for that matter) however they carry multiple Charlotte Hornets throwback items.

3.  I was recently in South Korea for business.  I found some teal and purple Charlotte Hornets gear there...No Bobcats gear to be found.

4.  On YouTube there is a video of a guy wearing a Charlotte Hornets jersey to a Chicago Cubs game...The Cubs announcers commented on his choice of sportswear and referred to the Charlotte Hornets as "America's Team."

There is more recognition of the brand than there ever will be of the Bobcats, and the colors have a lot to do with that brand recognition.

I am no fan of the NBA, but this is an opportunity that transcends my dislike of the NBA.  The name not only carries the nostalgia associated with being the first major league sports franchise in the region but speaks to the core of who we are as a region.  General Cornwallis was the first to recognize it 230+ years ago, we are a fundamentally a group of determined people who will fight for what we believe in against all odds.  If it happens, it will be the crescendo of the fervor of a grass roots movement, once again proving that Charlotteans have the determination and the grit to chase a dream that others say is impossible or not worth chasing. My hats off to the three or four people who through Twitter and Facebook have returned hope for a team and a league which, face it, was rotting on the vine in Charlotte.

Edited by cltbwimob