Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

2 hours ago, HopHead said:

Well, to be fair, this town isn't used to all this winning.. We are still in a state of shock! Lol. Batum is playing well above anyone's expectations. He had a triple double last night too. He will get paid next year, just hope it's in Charlotte.

He will stay in charlotte, his rapport with Coach Cliff is so strong.

I think Charlotte has been a solid sports town for a hot minute now. Certainly people outside looking in don't see it and it's taking residents a little time to realize it. The problem is that most of us have had an extreme love-hate relationship with our teams. How many times have we been let down by the Panthers (pre Cam years)? Who remembers the Bobcats? And for many people the Knights are a "new" Charlotte team. Before the move pretty much nobody living in the city ever talked about them.

In my opinion the make up of our teams will help this city become even more important in the world of sports. Think about it, there are entertainment options at every price point. Panthers are expensive as hell, Hornets are moderately priced until we start making the playoffs more often, and then there is the Hounds, Knights, Independence, 49ers, Checkers, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting. That's a pretty good roll call and there is something at every price level for everyone. The access to sports is alive and well in this town and it's only a matter of time before everyone figures that out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

File under Long-term:

Raleigh has begun a new long-term planning process for their downtown. The initial vision includes a (slightly south of) downtown arena. http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article51803860.html?utm_content=buffer4d366&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Despite the probable loss of the Hurricanes before this happens, a downtown arena would be a game changer for urbanism in Raleigh. They miss tons of events due to the location of PNC arena (e.g. CIAA tournament  and my attendance at Canes games due to crappy arena location). While I don't expect a new Raleigh arena would be directly competitive for many big events due to hotel room supply, I would think a new arena there will create greater pressure for improvements to the Cable Box (or a new downtown arena for us too) when the time comes.

Edited by kermit

^The City is already getting ready to start some arena improvements over the next few years. They are removing some of Royal Box seats and replace them with normal arena seating to increase capacity, updating video screens and scoreboards, update existing suites, restrooms, lighting, etc. They recently redid the locker rooms which look pretty awesome now. TWCA is still one of the better arenas in NBA. I haven't personally been to every facility, but it's well regarded across the league, and it's one of the main reasons Charlotte is hosting the 2017 All-Star game. 

I'm sure if Raleigh could do it over again, they would have built a downtown facility. Though, I believe they are in the process of approving an overhaul of their arena as well so not sure it's going anywhere (or replaced) anytime soon. Even though the arena location is less than optimal, I think like anything, if they had a better team the Canes would draw better than they do.. I know it's been a while since they were last in the playoffs. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hubba hubba, I LOVE that new scoreboard!    That hive underneath looks amazing.  Guess they got tired of the ol' Skyline look.

That loss at the Cavs didn't look pretty, but the Hornets have really turned it around as of late.  They had won 5 straight and 7 of their last 8 games.  So, barring they don't fall apart, they will at least make the playoffs.  And while I'm not saying they'll go all the way, it'd be nice to at least win a playoff game for the first time since we lost the original Hornets.  Even with their loss to the Cavs, the Hornets are only 3 games out of 3rd place in the East.  You never know...

#KeepStinging?

9 hours ago, dylansukkert said:

Any word on additional renovations and possibly adding seats?

The city put up $33 million last year for some renovations to lighting, bathrooms, locker rooms, etc. The score board is being called a part of renovations "phase 2," but I haven't heard of any other significant work being done.

• 2 weeks later...

In case you haven't noticed, and judging by the attendance you haven't, the Indians (er, Hornets) have managed to win a few here and there, and are threatening to climb out of the cellar.

All jokes aside, the Hornets quietly are far from the cellar and 1.5 games out of 4th!  Kemba is straight ballin' right now and had 35 pts and zero turnovers last night.

preseason I was less than pleased with this team, I recant that position.  I really like what the front office has done and I'm really enjoying the "hard hat/blue collar" approach this team has taken.

Go Hornets.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

In case you haven't noticed, and judging by the attendance you haven't, the Indians (er, Hornets) have managed to win a few here and there, and are threatening to climb out of the cellar.

All jokes aside, the Hornets quietly are far from the cellar and 1.5 games out of 4th!  Kemba is straight ballin' right now and had 35 pts and zero turnovers last night.

preseason I was less than pleased with this team, I recant that position.  I really like what the front office has done and I'm really enjoying the "hard hat/blue collar" approach this team has taken.

Go Hornets.

They are playing great ball. Attendance isn't horrible though. Right now they are 18th and a few hundred per game away from being 15th. Not bad at all.

I would actually argue that Hornets attendance has been pretty good this season. Even during some of the very uneven play in January. They average 17,346 per game which is slightly over 90% capacity. They've had 10 sellouts so far this year and will be sure to have at least a few more down the stretch run leading into the playoffs. They had 11 sellouts all of last year during that disappointing season. This is a fun team to watch (though last night they made things interesting). Ball movement is great and they finally have a solid 3 point shooting team. Kemba is playing lights out. Get out and see them. 

Edited by HopHead

^^AND 1.5 games out of 3rd!!!

17 games left.  Not the worst schedule, but plenty of tough games to go.  @Miami, vs San Antonio, @Detroit, @Cleveland, @Toronto, @Boston.  Those are the six games that will determine whether we have home court to start the playoffs.  Even though no game is a given, (the Lakers handily beat the Warriors!) ending the season 11-6 won't get them the 3rd or 4th seed.