Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

Hornets got a signature win last night against Miami in Miami (first time in 12 straight games in Miami), and are in a dead heat with three other teams for the number three spot in the east.  They are 10 games above .500 and have won 9 of their last 10.

I read an article saying that the Hornets have been more committed to 3s and it seems to be paying off.  Lately, every time I look at ESPN analytic data it looks as if they hover around 50% from the three point line.  And now since they are turning the ball over less than they were earlier in the season, they really seem to be reaping some major benefits.  

The way they are playing right now, I think they have a legitimate shot at going deep in the playoffs.  It's really quite cool to see both our teams do so well this as well.

3 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

Hornets got a signature win last night against Miami in Miami (first time in 12 straight games in Miami), and are in a dead heat with three other teams for the number three spot in the east.  They are 10 games above .500 and have won 9 of their last 10.

I read an article saying that the Hornets have been more committed to 3s and it seems to be paying off.  Lately, every time I look at ESPN analytic data it looks as if they hover around 50% from the three point line.  

Yeah great win last night.  They're shooting 42% on 3's in the last 9 wins, but that's somewhat dragged down by an 11/37 (30%) performance against Orlando --- they're 44% the last 9 wins if you exclude that game.

Of course 8 of their last 10 games have been at home, so that helps too.  But only furthers how important getting a #3 or #4 seed would be to have home court in the first round.  Only 5 of 14 remaining games are at home.

I was at the Spurs game and I realized that this is the first NBA team that I had to watch not the ball but the players without the ball. The cutting, passing, throwing to a spot knowing the man would be there when the ball arrived, I would have missed it if I just watched the ball. And every timeout on offense the Spurs come back with a real play, a definite set play. One time there were five passes in quick succession to a basket and this was all part of a single play. Hornets won because our reserves outscored Spurs reserves 41-19. Still, a fun game and worth the money for this rare visitor to the Hive.

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

I was at the Spurs game and I realized that this is the first NBA team that I had to watch not the ball but the players without the ball. The cutting, passing, throwing to a spot knowing the man would be there when the ball arrived, I would have missed it if I just watched the ball. And every timeout on offense the Spurs come back with a real play, a definite set play. One time there were five passes in quick succession to a basket and this was all part of a single play. Hornets won because our reserves outscored Spurs reserves 41-19. Still, a fun game and worth the money for this rare visitor to the Hive.

The Spurs are always consistently one of the most fundamentally sound teams in the NBA. The cutting, passing, shot selection etc you mentioned is nearly flawless. For the Hornets to come back and win against a team like that speaks volumes to how far they have come. If they can play all four quarters the way they did the final three last night, they will be able to run with most anyone in the playoffs. Fun game to be at last night too... The Hive was truly alive!

Edited by HopHead
Fixed typo

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

Hornets quietly clinched a playoff spot yesterday as they go to Cleveland today. Right now they are sitting at the 4 seed but 4-6 are all basically tied. 

7 games left and barring an EPIC collapse they should fall into that 4-6 seeding. Congrats Hornets!

Actually we sit at the 3 seed!

So the Hornets finished 48-34....amazing with no MKG.  So many crazy stats about this year.....the craziest are related to 3-point shooting.

Anyway, their record tied for 3rd best in the east with *four* teams.  Hornets are the 6-seed playing the 3-seed Heat.  I personally am much happier with the Heat than the Hawks.  Also, if they beat the Heat, they get the winner of Toronto/Indiana instead of Cleveland/Detroit.  Either way, just super-happy to have more basketball to watch.  First game is Sunday at 5:30pm, then Wednesday, then Saturday (at home), then Monday (at home).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, grodney said:

So the Hornets finished 48-34....amazing with no MKG.  So many crazy stats about this year.....the craziest are related to 3-point shooting.

Anyway, their record tied for 3rd best in the east with *four* teams.  Hornets are the 6-seed playing the 3-seed Heat.  I personally am much happier with the Heat than the Hawks.  Also, if they beat the Heat, they get the winner of Toronto/Indiana instead of Cleveland/Detroit.  Either way, just super-happy to have more basketball to watch.  First game is Sunday at 5:30pm, then Wednesday, then Saturday (at home), then Monday (at home).

I feel way better about this series for the Hornets than I would have either the Hawks or Celtics. They match up well with the Heat, especially considering Miami doesn't have a 3 point shooting threat (27th in the league as a team compared to Hornets at 8) and Charlotte has a much improved bench. Heck, the Hornets bench has carried them in some games this year when in years past that was unheard of. 

One thing to note too.. Hornets averaged 17,485 per home game (41 total, 91.7% capacity) this season. This is their best attendance in over 15 years. 

Edited by HopHead
typos
  • Like 3

The Hornets probably weren't winning with the Heat shooting 74% in the first half (kidding me?!?!!), and 58% overall (can you blame the Hornets defense for this?).....or when shooting 1-of-16 from 3-point range (what?!?!!) (can you credit the Heat defense for this?), but HOLY HELL did the reffing suck last night.

Just now, grodney said:

The Hornets probably weren't winning with the Heat shooting 74% in the first half (kidding me?!?!!), and 58% overall (can you blame the Hornets defense for this?).....or when shooting 1-of-16 from 3-point range (what?!?!!) (can you credit the Heat defense for this?), but HOLY HELL did the reffing suck last night.

Hornets? 

Don't you mean Bobcats Cincinnati Bengals? Last night Marvin Williams was our own Andy Dalton to the Cincinnati Bengals like Playoff performance we are having.

40 minutes ago, grodney said:

I'm trying to stay positive here, RDF!

I'm being positive. It just feels so wrong right now. 

Would it hurt Cliff to play a 10 player rotation, instead of 8. Jeremy Lamb hasn't seen a minute, and Daniels has played once. Spencer Hawes would be nice in there, he's a big body for Whiteside to try to knock around and he can stretch the court. 

Marvin hasn't been in attack mode... at all. 

I feel like for the first time this year, we are not utilizing our personnel in the manner we should be.

I wish I could get a beer with you and just talk about what the hornets are doing wrong, because clearly I'm too distraught to type about it.