Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

Analytical look at the Heat performance in the first two games: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-miami-heat-are-the-most-impressive-playoff-team-so-far/

" According to SportVU data that estimates shot difficulty using variables such as location, shot distance and the defender’s proximity, the Heat are taking extremely difficult shots — their playoff shot selection is of a similar difficulty to the Minnesota Timberwolves’ during the regular season, which was third-worst in the league. The difference is, their effective field goal percentage on those shots is 14.2 percentage points higher than you’d expect, given the types of shots they’re taking. (For reference, no team finished the regular season more than 4.1 percentage points better than expectation.) "

Ridiculous.

8 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

Hornets tied the series tonight.  I feel this one will go to seven, and I really wish the Hornets had home court advantage.  That may be the difference in the series.

Kemba was incredible last night.  Keep driving the lane!!!

Hornets in 7!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, grodney said:

Another highly analytical article about the Heat's makes and misses: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-truth-behind-the-miami-heats-makes-and-misses/

YUGE game tonight!  Tune into RDF's twitter and/or ig to see him in full retro regalia --- it's quite a sight!

hahaha, teal and purple down to my skivvies. Too bad I haven't gotten my hugo tattoo yet. 

that game was bonkers!  thankfully the woman is patient with me; my neighbor . . . not so much.  3 of the 4 no calls at the end of the game should have gone against miami, but people still want to beotch.  i was in the 5th row when kemba went for 52, so seeing him step up through a shooting slump and reach 34 was yawn fest ;)

side note:  the fox sports south crew always referred to us as "Charlotte" and to them as the "Heat."  

• Like 1

Hornets weren't as unprepared as much as they were gassed. Batum, Kemba, Cody just didn't have any more left. Batum was playing at 60-70% tops. 1pm game less than 48 hrs after missing out on a series clinching win at home was a lot for them to overcome. Today was also a game where they needed MKG more than anything. He is their biggest rebounding threat and best perimeter defender. Don't think Dragic would have been as effective today is he was there. Good season to build on and now they finally won some playoff games. This should help them going forward. 

• Like 1

Read a ton of stories in the observer today about the Hornets.  Here are some of the highlights:

Al Jefferson said he would take a pay cut to be with the team and wants to retire as a Hornet.

Jeremy Lin said he hopes to negotiate a long term contract with the team and said he had his most fun in the NBA with Charlotte.  He also said pay is not a primary concern.

Marvin Williams said he absolutely wants to return.

Nic Batum said he would give the Hornets first dibs for a new contract with him.

Common themes amongst their comments was their love of the chemistry in the locker room, their love of Coach Clifford, and their desire to stay together as a core group and see how far they can go.  

I think if we can maintain health next year (cough MKG cough) we will be a force to be reckoned with in the NBA.  And I think we are perhaps 1 headline free agent away from being able to make a title run in the near future.  At any rate I think the current roster, going forward, will be the group that returns basketball pride to the city and restores Charlotte to its rightful place in the NBA world.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, CriticalT said:

The Spectrum.  Or is that way too gauche?  It's been gone for more than 5 years now.  

I don't think we want to have the same name as the iconic Philly arena.   I rather Spectrum Arena if we go that route. "The" spectrum will always be in Philly (and yes I know it is torn down).

But that could just be me since I grew up in PA and there will only be one spectrum, even though I hated the Sixers (and could have cared less about the Flyers).  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Considering that Batum actually left $32M on the table, I consider this a win. I thought for sure he would have gone for the max. Shows that he really wants to play in Charlotte. Remember when that used to not be the case not long ago? One noteable thing here is that Batum is now highest paid active athlete in Charlotte (I'm sure Jordan easily makes more than all of them per year). Cam's contract signed last year was for $103M at 5 years. 

5 minutes ago, grodney said:

Jeremy Lin is gone (to the Nets).  Keeping that dream alive of being a star starter.  I think he should have been content having the most fun of his career being a backup in Charlotte.  But whatever.

As soon as he opted out of that deal he had here, I pretty much figured he was gone. I don't think he was even a priority for the Hornets because they were never going to pay him what he wanted, much less give him a starting role. Enjoyed what he brought last year off the bench. Definitely bailed out Hornets multiple times. He almost single handily beat San Antonio himself. 

9 minutes ago, grodney said:

Jeremy Lin is gone (to the Nets).  Keeping that dream alive of being a star starter.  I think he should have been content having the most fun of his career being a backup in Charlotte.  But whatever.

Yeahhhhhh you guys are way better off without him if it would have cost the Hornets $12 mil a year to keep him. Have fun with that Brooklyn